Static Sound When Importing Wav files

essBOT

Hi There,

I am trying to import some wav files in to an audio track on Pro X. Some of the files are going in no dramas but a few are just playing as static. Also noted that all the files (regardless of them playing static or not) look like a static waveform.

Using a brand new Macbook Pro 2.3 GHz i7 with 16GB RAM. All the wav files I am importing have a sample rate of 44,100 and are 24 bit.

Also, I am using the headphone jack for playback but the files play fine in iTunes and they will also pre listen in Pro X perfectly. Its only after they are imported do they turn to static. All the files are from a wav package from Beatport.

Any suggestions?

• 3 years later...

Hey -- I just ran into the same issue, and discovered this post. I have some audio files that were previously created in ProTools 9. They are stored on an external drive that is connected via Thunderbolt to my MacMini. If I import one of these files to a new Logic project, I get nothing but static. If I play in Quicktime, the file plays normally. Inspecting the file, it is the same type as previous poster reported: Linear PCM. 24-bit little-endian signed integer, 1-channel, 44100 Hz. I verified my project settings are 24-bit 44100.

Here's where it gets interesting:

1. If I copy this file from my Thunderbolt drive to the desktop of my MacMini's internal drive, the imported track plays perfectly.
  2. Currently, I have Logic Pro X set to store all my projects to this same Thunderbolt drive. If I import audio from another Logic project on that drive, it too plays perfectly.

So, I have a workaround, which is to move the backed up files to my internal drive as needed for import... but it's still bizarre. FWIW the external drive is a G-Drive Mobile 1TB 7200 RPM drive.

Any thoughts?

I attached a zip of the file here from the external drive just in case you want to inspect it. It's just a boring scratch bass track of me recording a cover of "Take The Skinheads Bowling" :)

Bass_01.wav.zip

• 1 month later...