Project Clean Up Problem LPX

martist

Hi,

I have one folder with two different projects which contains different audio files. Lets name them (the projects) A and B :) In Logic 9 I used to open project A then select all unused files in audio bin, then clean up the project. After that I open project B, select unused, then clean project AND it keeps all the audio files from project A!!! So comfortable! Why does LPX not do this??? It deletes all the files from all other projects I have in the same folder and keeps the files from opened project only! I searched preferences and nothing. What am I missing? Please...

Thanks

Martin

Well...how can I explain...

In audio bin I select all unused files and delete them. Ok? After that I go to File > Project Management > Clean Up

Here is the question. LP9 keeps all the used files from audio bin in another project I have in the same folder, but LPX deletes them. And after this step all unused files from the two projects have gone to the trash. LPX deletes all files and keeps those only from the opened project when clean up the project. It deletes used audio files from another project in the same folder too.

Is it more clear now :) I want to keep different used audio files from different projects in the same folder when "File > Project Management > Clean Up"

When select unused audio files in audio bin I press Delete button. This (I believe) removes them from the project. They aren,t on any tracks and are unused. After that I want to clean up the project from File > Project Management > Clean Up. This (I believe) moves all unused audio file from Audio folder to the Trash. My problem is that in LP9 when I have two different projects that are in the same folder and use one Audio folder for audio files when I clean up the project (not select all unused files and delete them whiten the audio bin! I already did this in the two projects) LP9 does not remove the used file from not opened project. LPX removes them. I want to be able to clean up the project and keep all USED files from the not opened project.

Once again. I'm not talking about delete unused files from audio bin. I talk about File > Project Management > Clean Up

Thanks for your time David!

• 1 year later...

I'm having a similar problem. I've got a Logic X (10.1) project file saved as a package. I have about 30 alternatives. When I do Project Management > Clean Up, many of the used files from the other alternatives are now deleted. What is also odd, Logic now asks me to download additional content (as if I deleted factory content).

This is from the manual...

Clean up project files

Choose File > Project Management > Clean Up.

In the dialog that appears, select the checkboxes for the cleanup options you want to apply to the current project.

Delete Unused Files: Files not used in any project alternative are deleted from the project, and removed from the Project Audio Browser.

Note: Selecting Delete Unused Files will also select Delete Backups.

Delete Backups: Backups for all project alternatives are deleted from the project.

Delete Media Browser Files: Files shared to the Media Browser are deleted from the project.

Click OK.

A dialog appears, showing all of the files to be deleted from the project. To keep any individual files from being deleted from the project, deselect the Delete checkbox for those files.

Click OK.

According to my understanding, only files that are not used in ANY of the alternatives should be deleted.

Is this a bug or am I misunderstanding?

thanks!

Joe

• 1 year later...
I'm currently facing the same issue raised by martist. I have a bunch of projects in the same directory all sharing the same Audio Files directory. I know I should be using Project Alternatives (unless the issue raised by joethibs is a real bug), but isn't there some utility that can scan all projects in the same directory, produce a list of all audio files that are no longer referenced by any project in that directory, and give me the option to delete them? Wasn't this functionality present in Logic Pro 9?

• 4 weeks later...

I just had the opportunity to run some tests and I thought I'd share my findings. The "Clean Up" feature in Logic Pro X 10.2.2 appears to be pretty smart. I created 4 test files across several different projects in the same directory, and I tried running the "Clean Up..." feature from each of the projects. The bottom line is that Logic will not delete any file that is "used" in any other project, nor will it delete unused files in the current project.

So let's say you have Project-A which is using File-1 but has an unused reference to File-2, Project-B which is using File-3 and no other references, and File-4 which is not used or referenced by any project. If you run the Clean Up from Project-A, Logic will only prompt you to delete File-4, but if you run Clean Up from Project-B, it will also prompt you to delete File-2 because it is unused in Project-A.

Hope this helps!