Tempo Interpreter in Logic X

Jan Steele

I'm struggling to use Tempo Interpreter in Logic X. I've followed the Project Settings info as described in the manual, and I've set what I think might be appropriate settings in the Tempo Interpreter Window. But what happens next, I assumed that I would have to hit Play and then tap, but there's no tap count in and my tap isn't being interpreted as far as I can tell.

I've tried it in record mode and not in record mode, and with and without Tempo Record ticked - it seems either like there should be more instructions or I am just understanding it at all!

Ok I've looked at that and now tried it.

(NB - as I suspected the instructions in the Logic X manual are definitely not complete because they don't mention assigning a key for the Tap Tempo command. As it happens there is already Shift - T assigned in Logic X.)

But it seems that in any case this is not the function I am looking for - and perhaps the function I want doesn't exist in Logic.

I have an imported MIDI file with tempo information in it, playing a software instrument. The initial tempo is 200bpm. I want to be able to insert subtle tempo fluctuations in the performance in an intuitive fashion by tapping a key or moving a slider or knob while the composition is playing - more like conducting. In other words I want to be able to make the sort of tempo adjustments that are possible by drawing in the Tempo Track but in real time as the track is playing. Perhaps this is not what Tap Tempo is for?

I have tried the instructions you point to and Logic starts on the 5th tap as explained but the tempo hasn't been adjusted when I stop. In any case I do want it to start at 200, I just want to be able to influence the tempo after it has started playing.

The screenshot shows the current Tempo Track before (and after) trying to adjust it with Tap Tempo.

65018201_Screenshot2013-11-1714_28_59.thumb.png.79e996350c66b9b30ec758405394a693.png

Ah I missed that - thanks. Still not clear about the procedure though. I've put the track and Logic into Record mode, hit Play and then started tapping - and some Tempo info did get recorded, but I couldn't hear changes in tempo as I tapped. When I finished I got a dialogue box which asked which Resolution - Low, Normal or High. There isn't anything about this in the manual, so wasn't sure what the implications of the options were.

• 3 years later...

I think and someone please correct me if they know more about this feature...

Constant - tempos are averages over measures

Normal - tempo adjusted based on the tap step

High - Suspect might ignore max tempo change - but really just guessing here....

in Project settings enabled manual sync mode ( actually use a key command so when it drops out  of manual you can key command back in )

Auto enable external sync and tap mode

Key command into external sync

hit record

tap your tap tempo defined input ( as per key commands).

Settings for tempo interpreter are mine - manual details these....

As you can see below I was tapping and it adjusted the tempo ( 4 tap count in so playhead starts to move on tap 5)

It does seem to work.....

815299047_taptempo2.thumb.gif.90e6e57a054639a2630490b9a07375e7.gif