Set up custom range on expression pedal [SOLVED]

gitr_jnke

Hello,

I'm having an issue on my MIDI keyboards expression pedal where the range is only going from 127 - 80..

Is there a way to set up through the clicks&ports, a custom range on my expression pedal (C11) so it can go from 127-0? I can't seem to find any updates or drivers for my keyboard (m-audio keystation 88es with m-audio EXP pedal) and obviously 127 - 80 is a rather useless range... But I'm not to good on using transformers and not aware on all their functions , but I would assume this is possible?

*a note this happened after upgrading from Snow Leopard to ML, although on mavericks it is still running this issue, even out of LP9 and LPX.

This issue should really be fixed by calibrating the pedal itself, or the range on the keyboard itself. You can scale the data in Logic, however if your range is only 47 increments (127-80) then you'll decrease the resolution of your Expression parameter. Meaning that when you intend to produce a smooth Expression ramp up like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 etc... you'll end up with 1, 4, 7 instead.

If you're still interested let us know and I'll share the method to scale the data in the environment.

The m-audio keystation 88es does not have an Expression pedal port (only a sustain one) and there is no mention in its user manual or MIDI implementation chart about support for such.

You could however get mitigated result using a transform object in the environment, providing that your MIDI data is actually ranging from 127 to 80 (not jumping between these two values). That transform object would have to be set in a way to expand the data range from between 127-80 to 127-0. This means to have incoming value 2 processed (hunch: exponentially)...

unfortunately the expression pedal is used live for B3 and horns, strings, and things that rely on smooth expression, so if it jumped by intervals that wouldn't alleviate the issue :(

I'm about 99.9% positive it is the 88es.. and it has both a sustain and volume port, I just always mapped the volume port to be used as expression through Logic through a transformer.. although there is NOTHING on the webz about calibrating, resetting, etc... and M-Audio have been no help through this whatsoever.. and their user forums are practically dead. :(

anyone experiencing these problems or have a workaround?

• 7 years later...

Hi!

It still doesn't work for me, I use M-Audio EP and the Moog EP3, both still doesn't work with my Novation Impulse 61. The range from the Expression Pedal only show 0 to 4, instead of 0 to 127. And yes, I filpped the polarity and I know there's a knob on each Expression Pedal to custom the range, but it still doesn't work. I don't know what to do now, lots of people say that I need to calibrate the pedal, but what does that mean?

Could anyone please show me the solution, I even sent my keyboard to get fixed as I thought the problem is in my keyboard controller, but they said the keyboard works just fine, they tested on the Moog EP2 and it works.

I'm completely lost, this thing drive me crazy.

Million thanks in advance!

Hung