Logic Pro book by David Nahmani (Apple Pro Training Series)

David Nahmani

Hello David

Bought your book and currently on chapter 3 " Editing Audio "  wondering if you could enlighten me on one area I ran in too that has me confused.

On Chapter 3, Comping Takes section, page 121, #2 - Says " click Take 3 at bar 14, and drag to the right to select one measure "

However when I opened your lesson 3 logic file,    the Funky Rhythm Takes start on Bar 17 not 13.  

is this typo in the book or maybe I'm missing something.

Anyway, Thanks to all who respond,   maybe one day I David's class...............

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, I reloaded the file and all is good, however as I follow the directions from page #121 to -122, and then try step 5, I click on bar 14 instead of being able to drag it one measure it always starts at bar 13.

I verified the Step 3 was correct as shown in you book.

Any ideas where I could be going wrong?

Yours in Music . Avan

• 1 month later...
Finally bought this book! David, you've been such a great help to me on this forum, it's a pleasure to give something back by buying your book (rather than some of the other manuals out there).

Now maybe I can stop bugging people on this forum so much... ;)

Thanks for buying my book! Hope you enjoy it! And don't worry about bugging us on this forum, that's what the forum is here for! :D

Just an update, I reloaded the file and all is good, however as I follow the directions from page #121 to -122, and then try step 5, I click on bar 14 instead of being able to drag it one measure it always starts at bar 13.

Hi Avan, sorry I missed this. I'm not sure what you mean by that. When you click-hold at bar 14 and start dragging toward bar 15, at some point it should snap and select from 14 1 1 1 to 15 1 1 1, like this:

take-folder.gif.5612f7a82fc42aba21fc615bf6f1d937.gif

Hi David,

I just recently purchased your book via the iBook store. It's great and so helpful for learning how to work and record with logic. Thanks for that.

I have a question however, if this is the right place to ask. I'm in chapter 2.2.1 (9/10) and did as asked there. I find that the following isn't true, at least for me:

"You can monitor the audio routed to record-enabled tracks while Logic is stopped, playing, or recording."

It works when I record, or when the playback is stopped. When playing the song, even with I and R active on the guitar track, I can't monitor the guitar. It happens by chance (it seems), that it works even when only playing the song. I can't reproduce that though.

Is it just me, or did I do something wrong? Or -gasps- is it a bug maybe? ;)

Cheers,

Fynn

Hey David,

Question before I move on in the book. I'm on lesson 4 & the book says when I create a drummer & Kyle's drum set opens, it's supposed to be two 8 bar regions that are each a bit different. I only get one the first region to create itself on the timeline. Just wondered if I was missing something?

Thanks

Rob

Question before I move on in the book. I'm on lesson 4 & the book says when I create a drummer & Kyle's drum set opens, it's supposed to be two 8 bar regions that are each a bit different. I only get one the first region to create itself on the timeline. Just wondered if I was missing something?

Hi Rob,

You're not missing anything: the behavior has changed in Logic Pro X since I wrote the book. Now new Drummer tracks come with a single Drummer region.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi David,

I just purchased your book Logic Pro X 10.4 (paperback) and downloaded the bonus content from Peachpit.

Let me preface this by apologizing for sounding like a broken record, but I can't open the lesson files starting at 02 Get Dancing. On Friday I completely wiped my Macbook Air and updated the OS to the latest versions of Sierra, and Logic Pro X.

The lessons files are saved in the Logic Pro X Files as directed. The files are opening up in Textedit and I am unable to trick Logic into opening them. (I am guessing these are Logic project files, as your next step involves setting up project settings?).

I tried deleting everything out of my Library/Cache folder, but this didn't help. I know others have had this problem, so would someone please assist so I can continue with the book? I am really enjoying it and already read Logic Pro X for Dummies, so I wanted to have something more hands on and am eager to get this working.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Macbook Air/1.7 GHZ intel Core i5/4GB RAM macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

Alex, that's because the files you click are links / aliases to the actual projects files that reside within the media/(session name) folders. If you browse to the media folder and open each of the different session folders there, you'll find the actuall logic pro files to open.

I told peachpit about it, and I'm sure they'll get that fixed eventually. For now, you can create aliases from the logic pro files and put them in the lessons folder.

• 1 month later...

You guys have problems with getting the lesson files from the Peachpit site? I bought the eBook edition of 10.4 last month but it seems I didn't get access to the Web Edition, and there is no Launch link for the product. I can only access the ePub, Mobi and PDF files, but no additional content.

I did send an e-mail to ask@peachpit.com, but I got an automated reply that they're out until Sept 9 (!), and told me to contact informit@custhelp.com. Another e-mail to that address bounced with "550 No such user" (!), so it looks like I'm out of luck.

Thanks for checking; problem solved.

It turns out you need to specifically register the e-book, just as it is described in the book (enter ISBN, answer quiz). I didn't do this earlier because the book says "If you purchased an eBook from a different vendor or you bought a print book, you must register your purchase on Peachpit.com to access the online content".

I bought the eBook straight from the Peachpit webstore, so I didn't think this was necessary, but it is. Hope this helps someone else.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am a proud owner Logic Pro X 10.3 Apple Pro Training Series Book that I purchased from Peachpit in the summer of 2017. I did not get around to opening it until just recently, but I also updated Logic to the most recent version (10.4). In anyones's opinion, will I still be able to learn everything with the book that I currently own, or would you say that the 10.4 book is absolutely essential to being able to learn Logic properly now? I am very excited to get started, and I find David's instructional methods compelling and concise. I would be really grateful for any feedback so I know how to proceed. Thank you so much for your time.

Mateo

• 4 weeks later...

Hello David

Question on your new book: I'm assuming your new book has the same content as the old one plus the new updated content for Logic X.

In other words are all the exercises the same as the " Logic Pro X 10.3 " book.

The reason I ask is because I have gone through your Logic X 10.3 book from cover to cover twice and I really enjoyed it, Ya I know thick skull !!

The Mixing Chapter in your 10.3 book was a great introduction to the concept of mixing, however I do not recall any mention in your mechanics of mixing talk about " Gain Staging "

Just wondering if the Mixing section in your new book has more in depth information on Mixing.....

Yours in Music and Logic

Henry Nava