Logic Pro book by David Nahmani (Apple Pro Training Series)

David Nahmani

I'm assuming your new book has the same content as the old one plus the new updated content for Logic X.

Not exactly: some of the old content had to be corrected to correspond to the new version. However these are very small differences.

In other words are all the exercises the same as the " Logic Pro X 10.3 " book.

Pretty much but not exactly, for example new Smart Tempo exercises replace exercises that used older techniques in the 10.3 book.

The reason I ask is because I have gone through your Logic X 10.3 book from cover to cover twice and I really enjoyed it, Ya I know thick skull !!

The Mixing Chapter in your 10.3 book was a great introduction to the concept of mixing, however I do not recall any mention in your mechanics of mixing talk about " Gain Staging"

Just wondering if the Mixing section in your new book has more in depth information on Mixing.....

No there haven't been many additions to the mixing chapter and the new one is pretty much the same that in the 10.3 book. I don't talk about gain staging in the book as that alone would take a whole chapter!

• 5 weeks later...

I have the older version of the book that has now obviously been updated to 10.4

Do I have to buy the book again or is there a pdf to download stating the changes and where

Also when is the 10.5 update and would that mean buying another book ?

Many thanks

Unfortunately there is no PDF stating the changes. Each new .x Logic update (10.0, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4) corresponds to a new book revised for that particular version. Depending on the boo, the revisions have been more or less numerous. From 10.3 to 10.4 the revisions were rather minimal although there were multiple interface element changes so all screenshots were updated. As far as I can remember the revisions from my 10.3 book to my 10.4 book were rather minimal.

I don't know when the 10.5 update but my (educated) guess would be during January 2019 just before the NAMM show as that's how Apple has released new Logic versions for the past few years. Unfortunately it takes a long time to update my printed book and I'm afraid my revised, 10.5 book won't be out before June or July 2019.

Thanks for your speedy response david I will buy the 10.4 book! thanks for clearing this up for me.

Can’t wait to get started I found myself hooked on learning ableton live for a few months so can’t wait for you to get me up to speed on 10.4

All the best david hope you have a merry Christmas and a great new year

• 4 weeks later...

David, I love the book and your thoughtful answers on this forum

Is there a place to submit or read current errata for this edition of the book?

I am using it for a class (through Creative Edge) and have found what I believe is an error in Chapter 6. It seems to imply that one can toggle Time Handles by pressing T, or else the wording is confusing, or maybe I am just confused.

Anyway, great book! Thanks for your continued effort in enabling music making!

:-)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! Purchased this book, and it has definitely exceeded my expectations!

I've wanted a good book on Logic for a long time, and this is the best purchase I've done in a long time.

Even with all the tutorials I've paid for, this book explains it all in a more meaningful way, and makes it easier to understand the why's and not only the how's.

Keep up the good work! Excellent book!

Hi! Purchased this book, and it has definitely exceeded my expectations!

I've wanted a good book on Logic for a long time, and this is the best purchase I've done in a long time.

Even with all the tutorials I've paid for, this book explains it all in a more meaningful way, and makes it easier to understand the why's and not only the how's.

Keep up the good work! Excellent book!

Thank you so much for the kind words! Much appreciated. :D

• 3 months later...

Another convert here in the UK - also just joined this site. I've been working Cubase DAWs for a couple of decades now, since the Atari ST no less... Moved to Logic X when I got a Mac, downloaded it yesterday and got the system up and running, and some stuff was familiar, but keyboard shortcuts... not sure where to start.

One of the amazon reviews on the UK site for this book says the buyer was into analog recording gear and had retired and was just getting into recording using DAWs on a Mac, and this book taught him everything he needed to know, including keyboard shortcuts - if an old-timer can go from n00b to joyful then I'm sure it'll be a massive help to me! I look forward to receiving it and getting stuck into some exciting new projects...

Hi David,

Bought the book today and just finished chapter 1, absolutely loving it so far!! :D

Just one question: I found that when I came to mix the tracks, in the book it says to reduce the synth 2 gain to around 10.0 as it is too loud, but my synth gain was around 0 and I had to lower it to around -2.2 to match it to synth 1's volume. It also says that the track should not be clipping once mixed if everything has gone to plan, but my stereo out is going into the red. Why is there a difference between the gain in the book and on my logic software, have I gone wrong somewhere? I've attached a screenshot.

Cheers!

Dan

1669267459_ScreenShot2019-05-19at19_09_38.thumb.png.2205e7507867ab2ca7b716827dde5352.png

Hi David,

Bought the book today and just finished chapter 1, absolutely loving it so far!! :D

Great! Good to hear. :)

Just one question: I found that when I came to mix the tracks, in the book it says to reduce the synth 2 gain to around 10.0 as it is too loud

Not exactly: it says to drag down the Volume fader until the Gain display reads 10.0. Make sure you read the "Note" just before the instruction, stating that when space does not permit, the minus sign is not displayed. Since you're dragging down from zero, you're setting your Gain to -10.0, only the minus sign is not displayed.

Not exactly: it says to drag down the Volume fader until the Gain display reads 10.0. Make sure you read the "Note" just before the instruction, stating that when space does not permit, the minus sign is not displayed. Since you're dragging down from zero, you're setting your Gain to -10.0, only the minus sign is not displayed.

Thanks for the quick reply! That bit makes complete sense now. :)

I have made the changes suggested in the book - bringing synth 2 down to -10.0 and the bass down to about -11.0, but my stereo out is still peaking into the red. I noticed in the book diagrams that the beat loop tracks and the piano sliders have been dragged down too, even though it's not written in the instructions to lower the volume of these tracks. Could that be why my stereo out is louder than suggested, these need mixing too?

1059356485_ScreenShot2019-05-19at20_18_49.thumb.png.e512f960dc676ea864facdc0335834fc.png

I noticed in the book diagrams that the beat loop tracks and the piano sliders have been dragged down too, even though it's not written in the instructions to lower the volume of these tracks.

I suppose the behavior when dragging in loops from the Loop browser into the Tracks area may have changed depending on the exact Logic version/subversion you're using. For example in 10.4.4 (the current version), dragging a loop such as Fine Line Beat to the Tracks area results in the volume fader being set to -3.1 dB. On my screenshot in the book (page 44) it's -6.4 dB. On your screenshot it's -0.2 dB.

This is just Apple trying to guess the best possible automatic fader adjustment for each loop you bring in to automatically avoid distortion, but in the end it doesn't really matter: just drag the faders down until your stereo out is comfortably below the clipping level, then adjust the levels to taste, bringing what's too loud down rather than bringing what's too weak up (which could result in your stereo out clipping again).

• 6 months later...

David,

Thanks for your book: it has been great.

However, loading the '02 Get Dancing.logicx' project, when I enable recording on any track, i get a pop-up saying "Volume “logicpro10.4_lessonfiles” is full. OK?" and the playback stops. Why is this happening? and/or How do I overcome this hurdle?

Iann

Choose your desired snap setting? This is detailed in Lesson 3 on page 116 in the exercice "Editing Regions in the Workspace".

I understand snap settings and have tried every type of snap (smart, beat, division, tick, etc.) and the Marquee section will not snap to any of them, I have even zoomed in - when I move the Marquee section it just smoothly flows and does not snap