Logic Pro book by David Nahmani (Apple Pro Training Series)

David Nahmani

Congratulations David.

I'm still using 9 and I'll wait for Apple to release a better LPX version than the actual before upgrading. Since the new Mac Pro comes out tomorrow, maybe we'll have some good news about LPX 10.1 soon. Let's hope so!

In the meantime, You've certainly encountered some of the numerous bugs present in LPX during the making of your book. Do you talk about them and give the reader some workarounds? Wasn't it a bit premature to publish a book about LPX since the actual version is known to be very buggy in many aspects?

Regards.

Rene

Thanks guys! :D

@Rene, All ".0" software versions are buggy, and 10.0.0 is not an exception to the rule, it just follows the rule. 9.0.0 was buggy when I wrote the Logic 9 book, and 8.0.0 was buggy when I wrote the Logic 8 book. Training material is typically written before the ".0" release (with a beta version of the software) or with the ".0" release. I never wrote about bugs, instead, I write around them. There are several techniques for that, and I have a line of communication with the developer team to know where the soft stands and what is intended and what is not intended. So if a feature is buggy I don't talk about that feature. If it works most of the time but is sometimes (albeit rarely) buggy, then I'll write about its normal behavior. So basically it adds a lot of work for me the writer, but the end result is transparent to the reader, who shouldn't suffer repercussions of those bugs.

Hope that answered your question!

Thanks guys! :D

@Rene, All ".0" software versions are buggy, and 10.0.0 is not an exception to the rule, it just follows the rule. 9.0.0 was buggy when I wrote the Logic 9 book, and 8.0.0 was buggy when I wrote the Logic 8 book. Training material is typically written before the ".0" release (with a beta version of the software) or with the ".0" release. I never wrote about bugs, instead, I write around them. There are several techniques for that, and I have a line of communication with the developer team to know where the soft stands and what is intended and what is not intended. So if a feature is buggy I don't talk about that feature. If it works most of the time but is sometimes (albeit rarely) buggy, then I'll write about its normal behavior. So basically it adds a lot of work for me the writer, but the end result is transparent to the reader, who shouldn't suffer repercussions of those bugs.

Hope that answered your question!

For sure David! Absolutly great. Thanks for a so detailed answer. Man, your contribution to the Logic community is invaluable. Can't wait to get my copy. of this brilliant work.

I wish you the best for 2014!

Cheers!

I ordered my copy today from Amazon. Still says it is on pre-order. Amazon UK lists Dec-18 but still not out there either.

BTW, I find it strange that publishers still charging the same price for the digital copy as for the printed book. I don't think killing trees, using cans of ink and then drive big boxes around on trucks would be the same expense for the book publisher as converting the book into the digital ebook format.

I hope Pechpit is passing along that extra profit to you David, you deserve it.

Thanks all! Edgar... I'm not sure. I would have to look at my royalty statement. Sure is odd. A friend of mine fell in love with the music from a film he recently saw on TV. When he went on Amazon to purchase the film as a digital download, the download was priced $14. He proceeded to look around for the price of the DVD and found that it was only $5. He also found that he could buy the film soundtrack's CD for only $3. So for $8 he ended up with a DVD+CD package vs $14 for a digital download. Sure sounds like fuzzy math to me.

In any case... now I'm just hoping not too many people will complain that the Channel EQ screenshots look dated in my book! :(

In any case... now I'm just hoping not too many people will complain that the Channel EQ screenshots look dated in my book! :(

I'm afraid this is not the last makeover we see for the GUI of the Logic effects in the near future. GarageBand uses already the new styles. Looks like Garageband and Logic are happily boucing the ball back and forth. The new "features" that made it now from GarageBand X into LPX are Apple Loops Family, Metronome Simple Mode

Regarding the "inconstant pricing" for books and other media. I think it is the same phenomena when record companies started to sell digital downloads and still deducted breakage for CDs from the artist royalties to "maximize" the company's bottom line.

I got an email from Amazon UK to let me know I probably wouldn't be getting this in time for Christmas :(

Sorry to hear ruari! I'm not sure why Amazon hasn't updated their page and still state the book hasn't been released yet. :shock: I hope you get your book quicker than that.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Hope you enjoy your new book. Any questions about the book, you know where to find me. :wink:

Vanhze: "Where can i buy the PDF version, so i can read it on my Ipad ?"

I'd suggest downloading the free Kindle App for the iPad, and getting the Kindle version of David's book. It's sitting on my iPad in that form right now, with the tutorial files on the iMac, awaiting this holiday week when I can dive into it.