Steven Slate Drums 4.0 Platinum / LPX 10.0.5 random crashes

jgrant50

Hi guys,

I'm running LPX 10.0.5 on a brand new iMac 27" along with the Steven Slate 4.0 plugin. LPX crashes randomly when I have the plugin GUI open. I can be changing individual drum parameters, removing instruments, etc., and it will crash. Other plugins are working fine - Novation, Addictive Drums, etc. I've been able to re-create the issue on 3 different systems. I think it's definitely the SSD4.0 plugin.

Are any of you guys having / had the same issue and were you able to resolve it? I've notified support via the Slate Digital support forum, but from what I've read, I'll be lucky to get a response from them. I'm hoping I didn't just blow $200 on this plugin (which is now $149 by the way, a day after I bought it...).

Thanks.

Edited by jgrant50

I can promise you you did NOT blow 200 bucks. SSD4 is an awesome plugin. I can tell you from experience that it works great with LPX, so no worries. I have not used it since installing 10.0.5 so I can't say whether it might be related to 10.0.5 only. I'll try and re-produce. In any case, you'll get it working and you'll love it.

I, too, am having crash problems with Steven Slate Drums running in LPX 10.0.5 on Mavericks 10.9.1

For me it happens if I have the interface open and, in the interface window, I click on a few of the 'drums' in the GUI. For instance, if I click on, say, a tom, then a cymbal, then another cymbal, almost reliably the GUI will become unresponsive, then I'll see the spinning beachball, then Logic goes kaput. It's happening with enough regularity that I've already become accustomed to not clicking on any of the drums in the GUI. Luckily, for me, the tracks I'm working on now and for the foreseeable future will probably all use one 'kit' so I won't really be losing any productivity for the time being. Will be interested, though, to see if a resolution is forthcoming. I haven't filed a report with Slate because, well, I'm too lazy LOL! I haven't wanted to stop what I'm working on & file a report.

As creationcollective said - I've known the Slate crew to be VERY responsive. Also, as Nola said - you didn't waste your money - Slate drums are the real deal and have been the cornerstone on which my work has been done, now, for a few years. I love them!

Noisenet - that's where it's happening for me as well. It's not consistent, but it definitely seems related to the GUI. If I'm fortunate enough to tweak what I need and save a kit, I can minimize the GUI and it runs fine - I've had it running for at least an hour with the GUI minimized - no issues.

As sorry as I am it's happening to you as well, I'm glad I'm not the only one. With Slate Digital support presumably backed up as a result of the holidays, I'm not sure that adding another support case to the stack would drive it any closer to resolution, but if you do decide to open a case and want to reference question reference number, it's 8820-EYAL-2841. Maybe if they see more than 1 user with the same issue they will start troubleshooting sooner.

I, too, am having crash problems with Steven Slate Drums running in LPX 10.0.5 on Mavericks 10.9.1

For me it happens if I have the interface open and, in the interface window, I click on a few of the 'drums' in the GUI. For instance, if I click on, say, a tom, then a cymbal, then another cymbal, almost reliably the GUI will become unresponsive, then I'll see the spinning beachball, then Logic goes kaput. It's happening with enough regularity that I've already become accustomed to not clicking on any of the drums in the GUI. Luckily, for me, the tracks I'm working on now and for the foreseeable future will probably all use one 'kit' so I won't really be losing any productivity for the time being. Will be interested, though, to see if a resolution is forthcoming. I haven't filed a report with Slate because, well, I'm too lazy LOL! I haven't wanted to stop what I'm working on & file a report.

As creationcollective said - I've known the Slate crew to be VERY responsive. Also, as Nola said - you didn't waste your money - Slate drums are the real deal and have been the cornerstone on which my work has been done, now, for a few years. I love them!

Thank you for this workaround! Closing the interface works and no more crashes :D

I got an email from Slate saying there will be a public beta of SSD4 next week for AAX64 support and I really hope this issue with Logic/AU had also been addressed *crosses fingers*

With Slate Digital support presumably backed up as a result of the holidays, I'm not sure that adding another support case to the stack would drive it any closer to resolution

Guys I'd have to disagree with that statement. I would think that Slate support is going to take the bug much more seriously and prioritize it higher as soon as they see it's not isolated to one user. In general, as soon as any software support starts to see a certain bug reported from several users, they can presumably cross "User Error" off of their list of possible causes. Then they know they need to get to work.

Yes it is the holidays so it may take them a bit to respond, but don't let laziness or assumption that it won't do any good be the excuses not to report this to them! :)

That's why I included my question reference number in case Noisenet changed his mind. Slate Digital is probably working trouble tickets as they receive them. Multiple users reporting the same issue won't necessarily garner attention ahead of issues already submitted, but will likely get extra attention once they're discovered. So if anyone else on this forum is experiencing the same issue, if you happen to log a case with support, reference the case number I posted - can't hurt.

In the meantime, one thing I have noticed is that this seems to happen only when I moved too quickly between 'drums' in the GUI. If, on the other hand, I hit a drum and wait a few seconds, until the sample finishes playing (ring of a tom, cymbal, etc) then hitting another drum in there does not trigger the crash. So if you find yourself in the position of absolutely having to click on the drums in the interface to select them, doing it this way should allow you to be able to do that so you can continue your work.

Nola111 is right for the most part... holiday sales are no excuse in my opinion... I used to work for a well known plug dev as a support tech (the only one in fact at that time) and it was the positional goal to reply to everyone within 24 hours, at christmas it was 2 days max, but even then I was on the 24 hour target as much as possible. needless to say I worked long hours but that is what it took to support the plugins.

Having said that... I also have SSD4... in fact I have all Slate plugs except trigger and my experience with Slate support is that the support person that I always hear from (assume it is also a 1 person operation) seem imo to be unknowledgeable in real issues and seems to repeat manual or prewritten replies.... not something I am fond of so I tend to not email their support anymore, but only because I can usually do a few searches and narrow it down.

However, recently having issues (last year or more) with the AU version of VTM, I waited until an update came ... waited for several months... but I finally got that and VTM works great so far.

And FINALLY... I too have random crashes with not only Logic, but Pro Tools 10, Studio One... the crash report always says it is ssd4, but it is pretty random and not so often enough to really be outraged about it.

Still - again imo - Slate plugs are definitely worth the $$$, would be great if they got their operation a bit more under control. But when they hire more people the plug prices will show that I'm sure.

I got an email from Slate saying there will be a public beta of SSD4 next week for AAX64 support and I really hope this issue with Logic/AU had also been addressed *crosses fingers*

Just got an email that the public beta for AAX is now available. Unfortunately, there are no updates to the AU version, or any other versions.

Quick update - I've been working with a support rep from Slate Digital regarding the SSD sampler crashing issue. No resolution yet, but we've been trying a few different things (remove, reinstall, repair permissions, etc.). I'll keep everyone posted with any progress.

Thanks!

Update - have gone back and forth quite a few times with support and we've identified what appears to be an issue with the JUCE framework itself. The SSD sampler is also crashing in Reaper - so it's definitely a plugin issue. It's in the hands of the developers right now, so I'll post any updates I receive from SSD support.

Hopefully this will be addressed soon and avoid any frustration with other users.

Thanks guys.

• 4 weeks later...

Devs are focused on AAX release and any subsequent issues - no update on other formats. Slate Digital support automatically closed my case with no further explanation / expectation on January 17th. I just re-opened and asked for a status update. They have time to release other new products and, since I paid for this one, I would expect it to receive any necessary attention to correct the issues.

Will update with any info.

• 2 months later...

As I'm sure many of you know, Slate released an update a few weeks ago. I've been running it with no issues whatsoever since the update. Hopefully if any of you are experiencing the crashing when clicking around the plugin GUI, this will resolve it for you as well.

Thanks!