Connecting Roland V Drums to Logic

xmikex91

I am very new to logic and was wondering how I should go about connecting my roland v drums so that i can record drum tracks to the projects i am working on. Do i use a midi cable and connect it directly to my mbox, or should i purchase the roland UM-ONE usb connector? Also, i dont want to just trigger the drum kits in logic, Id want the exact sounds i am getting from my roland drum module and use the customized kits that i have created. Is this even possible? or can the v-drums only be used as a midi trigger in logic??

You can either connect a standard MIDI cable from your V-drum module to your Mbox, or use a MIDI-to-USB cable and plug that into a USB port on your Mac. Either will give you the same result. You'll need to make sure to select "Vdrums" in the extended parameters in the Drum Kit Designer in order to map correctly to the kits - if Drum Kit Designer is in fact the drum sampler you plan to use.

For your 2nd question - you would use an External MIDI track in Logic and the MIDI from that track can trigger the sounds inside your v-drums module. You would connect the MIDI Out of your Mbox to the MIDI In of you module (or use the same MIDI-to-USB cable discussed above), and then you would have to run the audio output of your module into an audio input on your Mbox in order to be able to capture the sounds coming out of your module.

Thank you so much that was a huge help!! Im gonna try it tonight and see if it works and post back. Also another quick question...will i be getting the same velocity and pad sensitivity while using logic?? and will all my triggers be read by logic (rims of the drums, bell of the ride, bow of the ride, edge of the crash etc...)

will i be getting the same velocity and pad sensitivity while using logic??

Not sure if you mean going into Logic from the TD-11 or into the TD-11 from Logic - but either way basically the answer is yes. You'll definitely want to record the MIDI into Logic out of the TD-11 first (via your playing of the drum pads) and then you'll copy that MIDI track to the External MIDI track you create, and that will feed the TD-11 to trigger its internal sounds. When you play your kit (with no computer or DAW involved) you are triggering the internal samples of the TD-11 in the same exact way as those pads trigger samples inside a DAW - the pads create MIDI events which the TD-11 module translates and uses to trigger its samples.

will all my triggers be read by logic (rims of the drums, bell of the ride, bow of the ride, edge of the crash etc...)

Drum Kit Designer supports multi-zone information that can be output by a Roland module for snares, cymbals, and hi-hats. DKD does not contain samples for tom-tom rims and therefore can't trigger those sounds. I believe only the Roland TD-30 supports this anyway so that wouldn't apply to you. As long as your pads are multi-zone pads, and your module supports those multi-zone pads, you'll be good to go.

• 2 years later...

I have another question/problem similar to these ones!!! So I can map my vdrums (td11-Kv) in with the drumkit designer on Logic Pro x and have the ability for each drum to have an individually track... But....I am alway missing the floor Tom...it always makes the same sound as the medium/middle Tom.... I've tried a few ways to get around it..like in the drumkit designer selecting MOD instead of VDRUMS and then it works...but then I lose the rim on the high hat. I've also tried different kits and with the birch Toms it works.... But only the birch!! I am so stumped on this. I also wanna add my rims to this so I can utilize the extra cymbal (left or right) in drumkit designer and other logic drum sounds (tambourine, shaker, cowbell) or whatever.

Also, I wanna use the vdrums module/stock drum sounds sometimes... but I want each pad,rim cymbals sound to record to their own independent tracks for ease of mixing/editing. I can only get one midi track that will record the whole drumset/performance in one track and I really don't wanna have to go back and edit/transfer them into their own individual tracks (kick in, kick out, snare top, snare etc.) for mixing.

I think I read in this chain that only the TD30 is able to do this... But that makes no sense! If that is true then somebody at Roland needs to get their ass kicked!

• 4 years later...

Hi there

Just joining this forum looking for help on connecting my V-drums into Logic.

I have a Roland TD-9 Vdrum kit, connected to Logic Pro X 10.6.2 through a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.

My intention is to have the drum kit showing as a multi track so I can have every piece of the kit separated for editing purposes as you can understand. So far I managed to create the multitrack kit following the very few videos I found on YouTube, I'm using the SoCal kit that comes on Logic and keeping the sounds coming from my TD-9 module. The problem I have is if I want to record the drums the signal still shows as a single track instead of having every drum or cymbal assigned to its own channel. Is a 10 piece Vdrum kit including cymbals and still what I get is a single channel on Logic.

I haven't been able to figure out how to fix it, I'm fairly new working with Logic and recording/editing stuff which I just do for fun with friends scattered in different countries.

Any help will be really appreciated

Then you need to cable different audio outs from the Roland synth to different audio inputs on your audio interface, create audio tracks for each input, R-enable them all and record them at the same time. Wait, the TD9 doesn't have separate audio outs? Then you would have to record the tracks one at a time, first the kick, then the snare etc... it will take a while and you have to make sure everything stays in sync somehow.

Basically what I want to accomplish and I've done so far is what you can see in this video from minute 04:05 that works for this guy( just two and a half minutes to watch) but unfortunately the signal doesn't "split" in individual pieces but keeps coming in as a single track to me

Basically what I want to accomplish and I've done so far is what you can see in this video from minute 04:05 that works for this guy( just two and a half minutes to watch) but unfortunately the signal doesn't "split" in individual pieces but keeps coming in as a single track to me

I don't see any actual recording in that video, and he's created a software instrument track so he's ready to record MIDI to trigger a Logic drum instrument (not audio from the V-Drum sound module). Is that what you want?

I would like to record using the sounds from the Vdrum module, not the sounds from Logic

Ok then forget that video, that's not what you're looking for. We're back to my original answer: you need to record drum sounds one by one. The best way to do this would be to first record the MIDI data. Then you can split it onto different tracks for kick, snare etc. Now you can solo the kick and record it as an audio track. Next do the snare. Etc.

Does that make sense?

It does David, I think I'm getting the point, in fact last night ordered some MIDI cables to connect the whole thing and start trying.

Thanks for your reply and help, really appreciated.

BTW great work your book, I was previewing last night and I think I'll go for

Thanks again , stay well