CPU overload problem

Soundhound

Hi, I'd started a thread about this a while back but it got off the track so thought I'd try again. I'm still having this problem and wonder if anyone else knows anything about it/experienced something similar? I thought it might have to do with my interface, an original MOTU 828, but I've experimented with taking the 828 and the MOTU driver out of the loop and just using the internal iMAC speakers, and the problem happens in that situation as well.

The problem is this: At least once a day I'll get dropouts/clicks/pops etc. - and when this happens I notice that the CPU meter is continually near the top of it's range. Closing and reopening Logic doesn't solve it, the only thing that does fix it is restarting my iMac. When I do the CPU meter goes back to a normal amount and everything works fine. Until it happens again, which is at least once a day. Is this a Logic bug? OSX maybe?

Thanks!

I've also had what sounds like the identical problem lately - Core overloads appear after using LPX for some time (almost as if it 'builds up bad karma) -restarting my iMac would 'reset' LPX back to normal, only to have the Core overload thing reoccur a few hours later.

Last night I trashed LPX 10.0.6 from my Application Folder and reinstalled it (only the Program itself, not all the content) from the App Store. Today everything now seems OK, though I won't really know until after a couple of days use.

Since we've both got the problem (and we're not related) it seems like a LPX Bug.

Hope it clears up for you.

rzzz

Thanks, yes what you describe sounds like the same thing I've been experiencing. Like its building up behind the scenes and suddenly goes through the roof and stays there. Bad karma, anxiety or ennui perhaps?

I wonder if this is on any list of LPX bugs being looked into. David N if you're listening, do you know if it is?

Thanks rzzzy1, hope it clears up for you too!

I've also had what sounds like the identical problem lately - Core overloads appear after using LPX for some time (almost as if it 'builds up bad karma) -restarting my iMac would 'reset' LPX back to normal, only to have the Core overload thing reoccur a few hours later.

Last night I trashed LPX 10.0.6 from my Application Folder and reinstalled it (only the Program itself, not all the content) from the App Store. Today everything now seems OK, though I won't really know until after a couple of days use.

Since we've both got the problem (and we're not related) it seems like a LPX Bug.

Hope it clears up for you.

rzzz

I did, yes. Going to see if it has any effect over the next day or so!

So it possible that this problem that rizzy1 and I are experiencing is just caused by something inherent in Mavericks?

Like its building up behind the scenes and suddenly goes through the roof and stays there. Bad karma, anxiety or ennui perhaps?

That's Mavericks memory management, something that is not very efficient. Did you update to the latest version?

So it possible that this problem that rizzy1 and I are experiencing is just caused by something inherent in Mavericks?

The Core overloads started while I was on OS 10.9.1 and continued after the 10.9.2. upgrade. Is it a 'Mavericks' issue? - if so, it certainly isn't common.

Trashing and re-installing the LPX 10.0.6 application has worked for me (so far). I should have mentioned that I'm on OS 10.9.2.

thanks

rzzz

Great news! (knock on wood, fingers crossed)

I've updated to 10.9.2 now. I'd like to give trashing and reinstalling LPX a try as well. Did you just trash the Logic Pro application itself, nothing else? And then do you reinstall from the App store?

The Core overloads started while I was on OS 10.9.1 and continued after the 10.9.2. upgrade. Is it a 'Mavericks' issue? - if so, it certainly isn't common.

Trashing and re-installing the LPX 10.0.6 application has worked for me (so far). I should have mentioned that I'm on OS 10.9.2.

thanks

rzzz

Great news! (knock on wood, fingers crossed)

I've updated to 10.9.2 now. I'd like to give trashing and reinstalling LPX a try as well. Did you just trash the Logic Pro application itself, nothing else? And then do you reinstall from the App store?

Yes, that's exactly what I did, as recommended on the Apple site. So far, so good (everything crossed).

thanks

rzzz

Sorry, found it:

Reinstall Logic Pro X

Another approach you might consider is reinstalling Logic Pro X. To do this effectively, you need to remove the application, then reinstall Logic Pro X. You don't have to remove everything that was installed with Logic Pro X. Follow the steps below to completely reinstall a fresh copy of Logic Pro X.

In the Finder, choose Applications from the Go menu.

Locate the Logic Pro X application and drag it to the trash.

Open the Mac App Store

Click the Purchases button in the Mac App Store toolbar.

Sign in to the Mac App Store using the Apple ID you first used to purchase Logic Pro X.

Look for Logic Pro X in the list of purchased applications in the App Store. If you don't see Logic Pro X in the list, make sure it's not hidden. See Mac App Store: Hiding and unhiding purchases for more information.

Click Install to download and install Logic Pro X.

Terrific! When you have a moment, could you point me to the instructions you followed on the Apple site?

[quote name="Soundhound"

Yes' date=' that's exactly what I did, as recommended on the Apple site. So far, so good (everything crossed).

thanks

rzzz[/quote]

Doing it now. I realized after I clicked that the box next to Logic Pro X in the App Store said 'Update' not 'Install'. :shock:

I had trashed Logic Pro X though...

Fingers crossed.

Update: It was because of a copy of Logic Pro X that was on an external drive (backup of my home folder from a few months ago) Got that cleared up and I've reinstalled and am working away. Fingers crossed once again!

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5859?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US. Item 10. on that page.

LPX is still running fine.

rzzz

"Doing it now. I realized after I clicked that the box next to Logic Pro X in the App Store said 'Update' not 'Install'. :shock:

I had trashed Logic Pro X though...

Fingers crossed.

Update: It was because of a copy of Logic Pro X that was on an external drive (backup of my home folder from a few months ago) Got that cleared up and I've reinstalled and am working away. Fingers crossed once again!"

I did that too that earlier in the week, but it ultimately had no effect on the problem. Also reverting to LPX 10.0.5 didn't work, either. It was only by following exactly the steps outlined on the Apple site, particularly Item 10.6 on the 'Logic Pro X: Troubleshooting basics' page that I achieved a (hopefully permanent) fix. Hope it works for you.

rzzz

Alas the Core overloads have returned! As we've both got the problem I would deduce that it is either an LPX or Mavericks bug. Next I'll do a clean install of Mavericks 10.9.2 and LPX 10.0.6 on an external Firewire 800 drive and see if it returns. I'll report back.

rzzz

Sorry to hear that! I'm not holding out a lot of hope for doing a Mavericks reinstall. I did a full reinstall/rebuild of my internal drive a couple of months ago, with both Mavericks and LPX. I didn't do it because of this problem specifically— I was getting an internal SSD/reorganizing things etc, but I did hope it was going to get rid of the problem in the process. I had the problem both before and after the new HD.

But running both on an external would be another way to try and isolate this? Good luck man and let us know how it goes!

Well the LPX cores overloaded momentarily and hasn't done so since. I haven't restarted my iMac in the meantime, so it possibly isn't exactly the same problem, or the symptoms have changed. I'll keep using LPX as it is for while and see what happens. But a reinstalled LPX10.0.6 seems better than before.

rzzz

That's good news. Did it happen once, and then hasn't happened again? Is this with LPX and OSX running on an external?

Well the LPX cores overloaded momentarily and hasn't done so since. I haven't restarted my iMac in the meantime, so it possibly isn't exactly the same problem, or the symptoms have changed. I'll keep using LPX as it is for while and see what happens. But a reinstalled LPX10.0.6 seems better than before.

rzzz

Edited by Soundhound

Didn't see this in any of the dicussions.....I've the same problem that started when I

--Upgraded the OS.

Purchased a MPB/ Logic 9.16 in Dec. 2011. Plenty of CPU power/ especially for NI VI's. I updated the OS (checked all other updates) and suddenly just one instance of Reaktor/Prism or Spark caused CPU overloads (no audio tracks..just a few VI's). I searched several Apple forums/threads and OSX's power management allows the CPU to 'runaway' and use 600% of the processor, forcing you to 'quit' out of the current task and wait for the processor to cool down (a 'feature' that is supposed to extend the processor's life) . There are dozens of threads and complaints about this , with moderators/experts status contributors recommending "Resetting the Power Management System". One post recommend removing the power management .kxt file(its buried in the library, each model has its own profile). Though I' don't ever recommend messing with the OS, I was beyond frustration. This allowed for extended periods of use (more like a band-aid), but not a solution.

---Old school solution finally worked! …

Opened up the computer and blew out the dust on the cooling fins with compressed air. Good as new! These CPU's run hot and cost/design doesn't seem to allow any wiggle room regrading thermal issues. I need to do this every 2-3 months as I have a dusty environment. Only saw one posting on this recommendation. I've seen all sorts of wacky solutions on YouTube from unplugging an external Thunderbolt monitor, headphones, putting the computer to sleep.

--Run your Activity Monitor in the background next time- Applications>Utilities>Activity Monitor to see if the "kernel task" is bogging down the system. I also encountered this when watching a streamed video off Netflix, audio/video out of sync, jittery. Checked the Activity Monitor, same issue. See attached screenshot

Attached, the dusty cooling fins and the system idle (No apps running). 2014 and we still have to do workarounds...

Kernel_task_Ideling.jpg.b726688071c81ad6f7b067b7455a1b7b.jpg

I'm having this same problem while using an external display monitor - my CPU will spike like crazy. If I unplug the monitor I go to about 50% CPU usage. Or, if I unplug the AC power then it gets better. I don't understand why - anyone?

thanks!

Joe T

That's good news. Did it happen once, and then hasn't happened again? Is this with LPX and OSX running on an external?

Well the problem eventually returned on my main drive with a vengeance, it feels as if LPX gets 'full' and the only way to reset it is to delete the App and reinstall it!. The external OS 10.9.2 and LPX showed no sign of the problem, but then I probably didn't run it for long enough.

I'm on the point of returning to Mountain Lion (I didn't have the problem when using that OS) - but seeing the news today says that Apple is preparing OS 10.9.3 (with 'audio fixes'?) for release I might hold off for a bit (anything to avoid reinstalling all my plugins!)

thanks

rzzz

Sorry I thought I'd replied to this a while ago. So are you/were you running logic and system on an external for this experiment? How's it going?

rzzz

• 3 weeks later...