Giving up on Producer Kits, for now - new question

andyr

Not sure what my problem is, but I can't get the Producer Kits to behave the way I think they should. When I try to bounce the or export the tracks I create with them, suddenly I find myself using Legacy sounds instead. Are the Producer kits made up of Legacy sounds to begin with, and I didn't notice? That doesn't seem right to me. At any rate, Logic crashes whenever I try to export or bounce my Producer Kit drum tracks, so I'm trying something else because I'm tired of fighting with this!

I like the Warehouse kit well enough to use it. Now, I want to send all the elements in that kit as separate audio files to my friend who is going to mix my track. I separated the MIDI events in the single drum region by note pitch, and I got a bunch of separate MIDI lanes (I guess that's what you call 'em?) and it looks like each one has a different sound on it. When I try to solo one of them, though, all the sounds/lanes are all soloed. How can I bounce each one separately to audio?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Not sure what's happening there with Producer Kits and Legacy sounds. You can try the following to bounce all kit pieces/mics in a Producer Kit:

After loading a Producer Kit, flatten the track stack (Shift-Command-U) and then, making sure you select the track that has the MIDI region, bounce the track in place. You'll get this dialog:

1861181311_ScreenShot2014-03-03at10_01_43.png.cb97e59b02c20ecd180ce736a98e6b53.png

If you leave things like they appear in this pic and click OK, you'll get new tracks with audio regions for each kit piece and mic in the kit:

1300535559_ScreenShot2014-03-03at09_56_12.png.d1da60f55183dc0db69314553169e951.png

You can do this also with the EXS24, but you don't need to separate the MIDI, you need to load the multi-out version of the EXS24 and set each kit piece to go out a specific output (you do this from the instrument editor).

J.

Hey Jordi, thanks, but I can't even load a Producer Kit properly.

I have a MIDI drum part already recorded, right? In the Inspector, the Setting button says Warehouse Kit. When I click on the Instrument slot, the window opens up with an image of a drum kit and the name Studio Brush Kit. When I use the right/left arrows in that window to try and change the setting, nothing happens. When I try the drop-down arrow in the name field, nothing happens.

So I close that window, since I'm supposed to access the Producer Kits in the Library, anyway, right? I open the Library and a list of Legacy drum kits come up. Since no Producer Kits are in this list, I search the Library for the East Bay Kit+, which is the one I want to use, and a bunch of different names come up, East Bay Kit+ among them. The names have dates next to them. I actually didn't pay close enough attention to the dates to see if they were significant in some way, but I click on East Bay Kit+ and a bunch of software instrument automation lanes for instruments I'm not using are added to my Main window, including ones that are named after all the elements of the Producer Kit (Leak, Snare Top, Snare Bottom, etc.) These tracks don't show up in a Stack and I don't see a way to flatten them. I don't know which one has the MIDI region and because the regions all have the identical name - *automation - I'm pretty sure I'm not seeing what I want to be seeing. When I double-click on them I don't see any MIDI events in the Piano editor.

The name East Bay Kit+ isn't on any of the Track headers.

The option to bounce a track (singular) in place is greyed out.

I imagine that reading what I've written here must be just as confusing as what I'm experiencing. Would you, or someone else out there, like to take a look at this project and see if you can figure out what is going on with it?

In the Inspector, the Setting button says Warehouse Kit. When I click on the Instrument slot, the window opens up with an image of a drum kit and the name Studio Brush Kit.

Strange. I have two Warehouse Kit channel strip settings.

One is in: Legacy > Logic > 04 Drums & Percussion > 01 Acoustic DrumKits.

The other: Legacy > Garageband > Drum Kits.

The first uses the EXS24 and the actual kit is the Warehouse Kit as expected. The second one uses a simplified EXS instrument (no editing possible) but the kit used is also the Warehouse Kit. Not sure how you're getting the Studio Brush Kit there! :?

When I use the right/left arrows in that window to try and change the setting, nothing happens. When I try the drop-down arrow in the name field, nothing happens.

Bizarre! Does this happen in a new empty project as well? I sounds like your content might not have installed properly? Weird.

So I close that window, since I'm supposed to access the Producer Kits in the Library, anyway, right? I open the Library and a list of Legacy drum kits come up. Since no Producer Kits are in this list, I search the Library for the East Bay Kit+, which is the one I want to use, and a bunch of different names come up, East Bay Kit+ among them. The names have dates next to them. I actually didn't pay close enough attention to the dates to see if they were significant in some way, but I click on East Bay Kit+ and a bunch of software instrument automation lanes for instruments I'm not using are added to my Main window, including ones that are named after all the elements of the Producer Kit (Leak, Snare Top, Snare Bottom, etc.) These tracks don't show up in a Stack and I don't see a way to flatten them. I don't know which one has the MIDI region and because the regions all have the identical name - *automation - I'm pretty sure I'm not seeing what I want to be seeing. When I double-click on them I don't see any MIDI events in the Piano editor.

The name East Bay Kit+ isn't on any of the Track headers.

The option to bounce a track (singular) in place is greyed out.

I imagine that reading what I've written here must be just as confusing as what I'm experiencing. Would you, or someone else out there, like to take a look at this project and see if you can figure out what is going on with it?

All of that sounds very strange...but sure, post some screen shots or upload your project so that we can see what's happening.

J.

OK, I have an answer. It doesn't happen with a new song. I created a new Project with a MIDI drum part using a non-Producer kit, then I replaced the performance with a couple of different Producer kits - no problem! Man, those Producer kits sound incredible and I love having that much control over the different sounds.

I'm gonna try transferring all my tracks to a fresh project and see if I can make it happen there.