how to trigger cross-stick using V-Drums?

pisquano

hello everyone

yesterday I was playing with the TD-9 hooked up with different kits and producer kits. some are "instantly" recognised and everything works fine, and some other for some reason have a few issues with the hi-hat.

anyway, in no case I was able to use the cross-stick sound in any configuration or kit. it's definitely a sound possible, and in fact I use it all the time on the TD-9. I just don't know how to make it happen in Logic Pro.

can anyone suggest a way?

much appreciated

best

Federico

Edited by pisquano

I'm not familiar with the TD-9, but I have a TD-6 and a dual-trigger snare that can recognize rim shots, so I can tell you the general idea and you can look up how to do it specifically on the TD-9.

Please excuse me if I say things that you already know - I don't know whether you're a beginner or an expert or somewhere in between, so I'll just describe it in basic terms.

1 - You need a physical drum pad with two sensors so it can differentiate between a normal hit and a rim shot.

2 - It needs to connect via a TRS (stereo) cable to the drum brain (TD-9 in your case).

3 - The drum brain needs to be able to accept a dual-trigger snare, and trigger a rimshot when appropriate.

It sounds like these first 3 are already in place, since you said you can trigger rim shots with just the TD-9 alone. Although: is this actually a dual-trigger snare? Or is it just triggering rim shots for the hardest hits, and the pad is actually a single-trigger?

If it's a single-trigger pad, and it does rim shots on the hardest hits (no matter *where* or *how* you hit it), then the way to do this would be to record MIDI as usual (ignoring the lack of rim shots in Logic), then select the notes with the highest velocity and move them to the rim shot trigger note.

If it's dual-trigger (where you play rim-shots or cross-sticks like on an acoustic kit) then we move on...

4 - The drum brain's "kit" preset has to be set up to trigger the correct MIDI note on a rim shot that Logic will recognize.

5 - On the other side, in Logic, you have to be playing a kit that actually has a rim-shot sample with the trigger note set up in #4.

Note - I won't be on this forum again for a little while (working on a project this weekend) so if you have followup questions, it might be some time; I hope others can chime in if so. But I hope that helps.

Thanks,

Matt

I

If it's a single-trigger pad, and it does rim shots on the hardest hits (no matter *where* or *how* you hit it), then the way to do this would be to record MIDI as usual (ignoring the lack of rim shots in Logic), then select the notes with the highest velocity and move them to the rim shot trigger note.

If it's dual-trigger (where you play rim-shots or cross-sticks like on an acoustic kit) then we move on...

4 - The drum brain's "kit" preset has to be set up to trigger the correct MIDI note on a rim shot that Logic will recognize.

5 - On the other side, in Logic, you have to be playing a kit that actually has a rim-shot sample with the trigger note set up in #4.

Matt

thank you so much Matt - the snare indeed has dual triggers, but I just cannot seem to find a kit in logic that has a rim-shot sample. do you know which one do?