Error in parameter list / Not an existing/ Result code = -50

foster5a

I have already commented on a related thread:

I am raising this new one because that thread does not have the error message written in text and I wanted to raise one clearly and specifically for this.

When I try to perform audio manipulations on some audio files I receive:

Error in parameter list / Not an existing volume, and no default volume / Bad positioning information / Bad drive number
Result code = -50
File = LogicSampleClip1

Sometimes I receive:

Error when creating temp file!

From the arrange window I cannot and stretch or squash

From File Functions I cannot:

• Reverse
  • Fade
  • Invert
  • etc…

I have tried audio which has been created in Logic via bouncing from Logic and external audio files imported into Logic. Neither work. Thought I don’t seem to have the issue with audio files recorded directly into Logic themselves.

What does happen when I attempt one of these actions is another copy of the file is created (even when the error creating temp file message is received!). The file is always the same as the original as the function itself didn’t actually work. I have plenty of disc space. I'm not using Apple loops.

I have tried:

• Reinstalled OS X
  • Reinstalling Logic
  • Deleting Logic preferences (via App Zapper)
  • Repairing Disk Permissions
  • Using Various projects
  • Using different hard drives for projects

These functions used to work until recently.

Is this to do with the latest release of 10.9.2 release of OS X on my fusion drive?

Before this release I couldn’t record audio without digital distortion on this machine and since this new release I appear to be unable to manipulate audio. I’ve been testing and testing, researching and researching for days but I cannot get anywhere.

It would be nice to have a detailed description of what Result Code - 50 and the associated message actually means. I cannot seem to find this information anywhere not even in the Logic manual (unless I’m mistaken, I can’t find it there).

I have been using Logic since version 8 and have never encountered this issue before.

Any further help would be appreciated.

• 1 year later...
I've never been able to resolve my issue detailed above. I cannot time stretch files, cannot change tempo of projects using audio, cannot create templates. There seems to be a serious issue with disk permissions or something that I cannot resolve. I have to use other software applications to try and workaround the problems. I never had issues with Logic 8 where I used to perform sampling and stretching all the time I simply cannot work with audio data anymore, only MIDI. I've been in despair. Been using Logic nearly 10 years and just cannot work the same ways anymore. I would still love any help on this so I can go back to the way I worked before these permission issues (?) Set in in 2013. :(

• 2 months later...
Thanks Eric Cardenas. This did seem to work. I switched user and was finally able to use pitch/time functions for the first time on my latest mac! Now I have to figure out how to use my original Admin logic files (etc...) with my new user/admin account. It shouldn't be like this should it, Is there a way, now that you have seemingly established my issue, that I can resolve this without the new account perhaps? Thank you for your help! Matt

• 2 years later...

Since I upgraded to High sierra- any time I open Apple loops it just freezes- nothing loads up. Actually I can still move stuff around and listen- doesn't work right or in real time. If I tell it to "index" it will index FOREVER. ok- so I only let it run about 4-5 hours, but i doubt I gave up too quickly. Also- I can not edit audio at all- I can "cut" with the scissor tool, but I can not delete audio. I can delete/remove a region- but not delete, or edit any of it. Those are the main things- Im sure i do not have full capabilities in other areas that I just don't regularly use though-

Any time I try to delete/stretch audio I get that same message:

Error in parameter list / Not an existing volume, and no default volume / Bad positioning information / Bad drive number
Result code = -50
File = LogicSampleClip1

I have called apple- after a good hour of dude telling me various things to try out, he said he'd have to talk with the engineering division, and that could be 3-4 days. i called on the 4th day- still have no clue, just told me they're still trying and have not figured it out.