How would you set this up a Headphone Mix from Logic?

Music Spirit

Can I send 4 independent Head Phone Mixes from Logic through the outputs of a Focusrite Saffire Pro interface.

Also available is Samson 4 channel headphone mixer

Would be grateful for any suggestions

PS

I have studio monitors connected to the main Focusrite Outputs 1 & 2

The Focusrite has individual line outputs - is it possible to send 4 separate headphone mixes in one Stereo feed via a pair of the unused Line Outputs?

This would go into the main stereo input of the headphone mixer which has individual headphone outputs.

Would this be the way to do it?

Would the individual mixes from Logic work remain separate in each head phone output?

Let's say you want four headphone mixes.

In Logic, set up a "template" track with four sends enabled at 0dB. I usually use high bus numbers for this so let's say they go to bus 60, 61, 62, 63. Make an audio track and an instrument track like this.

Now, instead of using "new track", just duplicate your template (cmd-D), so every new track you make will have those sends in place.

Then route the outputs of the Auxes to outputs on your interface. On your interface there are 5 pairs of outputs, so you've got space for monitors + 4 stereo headphone mixes.

Connect Focusrite outputs to headphone amp inputs and that's it!

Glad to be able to help you both!

I forgot to mention that when doing this, I usually assign the first four send slots to a random bus, then assign the headphone mix buses to sends 5, 6, 7 and 8. Then set the first four sends to "no send". This keeps things a bit neater - you can use the first four sends for your usual reverbs, etc.

Although the method I outlined above will give you a lot of control it can get to be a bit cumbersome when dealing with a lot of channels. In my template I have 12 or so buses/auxes that I always use for grouping into stems: Drums, bass, keys, etc. There is a "catch-all" bus which is the default routing on my "template" track. With this method you can have your headphone mixes coming from the stem auxes instead of the tracks themselves which is a bit more manageable. Sending headphone mixes from the "catch-all" bus means that even if you don't route new tracks explicitly, they will still be included in the headphone mix.

Assuming you're using software monitoring, you can also do talkback. If you've got a spare mic input and mic, you can set up an Aux channel strip to that input and have it routed to all the headphone mixes. A bit of environment mangling and you can use a MIDI controller to mute/unmute it (I use the sustain pedal input from a controller keyboard). It works great! And if you've got four people on headphone mixes, you probably need this.