Summing stacks replace aux channel

pixel_ale

I compose to picture, and often do both sound design and music within a session. I route sound effects and music to different busses, which get summed to separate aux tracks for individual control (and so I can apply bus compression to the music without affecting the sound design).

However, when I create a summing track stack in one of these "groups", the summing stack replaces the aux channel that the tracks were routed to.

Is there a way to change this behavior? Or maybe a better way to do this? I come from Professional Tools, so I learned some habits that don't correlate with Logic's way of doing things.

Thanks!

Summing stacks create a bus and route the tracks in the stack through the bus, so whatever your output is set to on any tracks in the summing stack will be rerouted to the summing stack's bus. This problem won't be a problem if, instead of using the output slot of your tracks to send audio to the group bus you mentioned, you use a send to route them to your group. Basically, a summing stack is for sending all its tracks to a group, just like you were doing, so using a summing stack wouldn't really make sense. If you just want to organize them in the arrange window you could use a folder stack. Learn how to use the sends in Logic, they are really, REALLY useful.

Thanks for the reply!

The issue I'm having lies with Logic's default routing when creating summing stacks. It looks like if the tracks are all routed to an aux already, creating a summing stack will use that aux as the summing track using the bus that is already assigned. If no aux exists, Logic will use a new bus.

In my template, I have all my music tracks routed to an aux using bus 64. If I want to create a summing stack for my strings, for example (to process them together), Logic will use bus 64 to send the strings to the summing stack track, replacing the music aux I already had in place.

So it looks like in my case, I'll need to keep doing what I was doing in Logic 9, and just manually route the tracks to a bus and route the newly created aux to my music aux. I can then use a folder stack for organizing, if necessary

I understand the problem now. The solution is simple but is probably very different from your normal workflow, which you may not want, and you may want to just keep doing it as you did before. You can put the tracks in the summing stacks as you want, and then instead of routing all your tracks to the sub-out music bus, only route the summing stack tracks to the bus. This could cause some problems if you route your tracks to the sub-out bus via the output of the tracks, so I recommend using sends for that routing.

• 1 month later...

this is exactly my workaround - if i forget to route the tracks to stereo out before creating the summing stack my submix-aux is occupied by the new summing track and the routing is completely messed up :-(

it would be more logical if logic would instead create a new summing-aux that is routed to the old destination, that would make sense.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys...

I'm not sure yet, if I understand Stacks properly.

In my scenario, when I create a Drummer track Stack+ (Producer Kits), created is a Stack on a track level with the first empty Aux.

But I would like to use prepared Aux for drums, let say Aux 233 (In my case that Aux is routed to Sub 1)

I think Logic should give an option, which Aux should be used for Stack, when creating Stacks.

I created a template, where all 64 Buses are routed to Auxes 194-256:

Bus 1-20 -> Aux 194-212 = Bus 1, Bus 2, ... Bus 20

Bus 21-40 -> Aux 213-232 = Effect 1, Effect 2, ... Effect 20

Bus 41-60 -> Aux 233-252 = Sub 1, Sub 2, ... Sub 20

Bus 61 -> Aux 253 = EXTRA BUS

Bus 62, 63 -> Aux 254, 255 = Side Chain 1, Side Chain 2

Bus 64 -> Aux 256 = Out (output to Stereo Output)

Since all busses are used, and when an instrument with effect send is created, there will be no effect channel strip due to already used Bus.

Is this configuration 'Logical', or why I shouldn't be using this configuration?

Thnx,

Roger