A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

 
User avatar
Jordi Torres
Moderator
Posts: 15998
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:24 am
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland

Re: 10.0.7: ES2 midi assignment bug

Wed May 21, 2014 12:02 am

jazzisfaction wrote:
Do I contact Logic to report the bug?


Definitely:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

jazzisfaction wrote:
Is there anything I can do against is? Any solution how I can assign ES2 controllers to external sources like Max/MSP?


Jordi Torres wrote:
The controller assignments area in the ES2 interface works properly though.


J.
Et voilà!

MacBook Pro 15" Retina i7 2.2 GHz - 16GB RAM | OS 10.14.6 | Logic Pro 10.4.8
Merging Hapi | RME Fireface 400 | Akai MPK49 | Nord Micro Modular
 
jazzisfaction
Topic Author
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:42 am
Contact:

Re: 10.0.7: ES2 midi assignment bug

Wed May 21, 2014 10:36 am

I tell u something: the whole assignment section in Logic Pro X socks like hell.
U do the assignments, u close the session, you re-open it and some still work, some not.
This is crap. Millions of bugs.
I'll built the synths I need by myself...on a stable platform.
I'm quite angry here.
 
jazzisfaction
Topic Author
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:42 am
Contact:

Re: 10.0.7: ES2 midi assignment bug

Wed May 21, 2014 10:47 am

I went back to Logic 9.1.8 and everything works perfectly....
 
jazzisfaction
Topic Author
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:42 am
Contact:

Re: 10.0.7: ES2 midi assignment bug

Wed May 21, 2014 11:07 am

same problems in Logic 9.1.8.

i start to believe that this is a Mavericks / Logic problem
 
User avatar
Jordi Torres
Moderator
Posts: 15998
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:24 am
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland

Re: 10.0.7: ES2 midi assignment bug

Wed May 21, 2014 2:15 pm

jazzisfaction wrote:
I went back to Logic 9.1.8 and everything works perfectly....


jazzisfaction wrote:
same problems in Logic 9.1.8.


:shock: :?:

It works OK in 9.1.8 and 10.0.6 here.

Didn't you try my suggestion? It could help you workaround this issue:

Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 23.14.01.png
Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 23.14.01.png (406.27 KiB) Viewed 2052 times


J.
Et voilà!

MacBook Pro 15" Retina i7 2.2 GHz - 16GB RAM | OS 10.14.6 | Logic Pro 10.4.8
Merging Hapi | RME Fireface 400 | Akai MPK49 | Nord Micro Modular
 
jazzisfaction
Topic Author
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:42 am
Contact:

Re: 10.0.7: ES2 midi assignment bug

Wed May 21, 2014 11:52 pm

Ah, I didn't know exactly what u meant....I'll try....thanx.

BUT: even though I tried the ES1 in Logic 9.1.8. and for example the cutoff assignment works fine, then I close Logic, open it again and it's still assigned but it's not tracking anymore. I have to do the assignment again and then it starts working again.
Could u check this also please?
So assigning ex the CutOff of the ES1, closing Logic, re-open and see what happens?
The same thing with the volume assignment of a track. It works, i close, it doesn't work, i re-assign, it works again....
 
User avatar
Jordi Torres
Moderator
Posts: 15998
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:24 am
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland

Re: 10.0.7: ES2 midi assignment bug

Thu May 22, 2014 2:02 am

Hi,

jazzisfaction wrote:
for example the cutoff assignment works fine, then I close Logic, open it again and it's still assigned but it's not tracking anymore


That sounds like you quit both Logic and Max. Max uses virtual MIDI ports. Every time you quit Max and then open your patch again, these virtual ports will get a entirely new CoreMIDI ID, even if their name never changes ("from Max 1", etc). This won't happen if Max is left open and you just quit Logic.

Here's what the port assignment looks like here after quitting Max and the reopening the patch:

Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 10.33.54.png
Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 10.33.54.png (17.35 KiB) Viewed 2041 times


It should look like this to work:

Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 11.03.44.png
Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 11.03.44.png (15.35 KiB) Viewed 2040 times


jazzisfaction wrote:
I have to do the assignment again and then it starts working again.


You don't need to redo the assignments, you simply choose the correct port from the drop-down menu. That's done in Expert View in the Controller Assignments window.

I should also mention I'm not having this problem with Logic Pro X. I can quit any of them and the assignment doesn't break.

Anyway, to work around this issue, use OSX's IAC driver instead of Max's virtual ports. The IAC driver's ports always have the same ID so the assignment won't break if you use that.

J.
Et voilà!

MacBook Pro 15" Retina i7 2.2 GHz - 16GB RAM | OS 10.14.6 | Logic Pro 10.4.8
Merging Hapi | RME Fireface 400 | Akai MPK49 | Nord Micro Modular
 
User avatar
nogginj
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:20 pm

Re: 10.0.7: ES2 midi assignment bug

Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:49 pm

Wanting to add in here...it seems like this bug exists for midi learn / midi assignment for effect bypass too?

I cannot assign an effect bypass to a midi control, and it behaves very similarly to the ES2 bug.

Can anyone else confirm on Logic 10.0.7?

Thanks.
Logic Pro 10.0.7 - MacBook Pro 2 GHz Intel Core i7 - OS 10.9.4 - 16 GB RAM
 
User avatar
Eriksimon
Posts: 7335
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:29 pm
Location: Utrecht, the Netherlands
Contact:

Re: 10.0.7: ES2 midi assignment bug

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:32 am

Addition: Touch and Latch modes also do not work on the ES2.
All ES2 parameters do still respond to automation though, but the only way to enter it is to draw it in - or abandon it alltogether and use the MIDI assignments at the bottom in conjunction with the modulation matrix, and record the MIDI CC. The advantage is that you can still (musically) perform the automation that way.
Why did the chicken cross the Mobius ring?

MacBook Pro 13" M1 8GB RAM/miMac Intel i5 3.6 GHz 16 GB RAM/OS X 12.6 (Sierra)/HackBook Lenovo E530 i5 2.6 GHz 8 GB/Logic Pro X 10.4.4 & OS X Mojave 14.6/Logic Pro 10.5.1/AKG P120/Marantz MPM-1000/Sony F-V3T/Behringer BA 85A/U-Phoria UMC204HD/Novation Impulse 49/Studiologic CMK 149/M-Audio Keystation Mini 32 mk3
 
User avatar
Eric Cardenas
Moderator
Posts: 22735
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Uppsala, Sweden

Re: 10.0.7: ES2 midi assignment bug

Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:31 am

Awesome workaround found by ValliSoftware:

ValliSoftware wrote:
At the bottom of the ES2, click on the right arrow to display MIDI Mono Mode.
Set to On (with common base channel 1), but then...
...set it back to Off.

Then try to automate with a control on ES2.


Works fine for automation but not for controller assignments.
Eric Bradley Cardenas
EC Making Sound
Mac mini 2.6 GHz 16GB RAM Areca⚡RAID | MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz 16GB RAM | Os 10.14.5
Logic Pro 10.4.5 | RME Fireface UFX | Adam A7 + Sub8 | Spectrasonics | Softube
 
ValliSoftware
Posts: 1005
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 10:46 am

Re: 10.0.7: ES2 midi assignment bug

Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:44 pm

Eric Cardenas wrote:
...but not for controller assignments.


Got the solution and it's not a workaround but a smart solution and yes pun intended. :mrgreen:
Use Smart Controls on the ES2 for Automation.

[youtube]PkapSGGPAYs[/youtube]

ValliSoftware wrote:
At the bottom of the ES2, click on the right arrow to display MIDI Mono Mode.
Set to On (with common base channel 1), but then...
...set it back to Off.
Then try to automate with a control on ES2.

Don't need to do this anymore.
MacBook Pro 10.8.5 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 6GB Ram - Logic Pro X (10.2)
MacMini 10.13.6 2GHz Intel Core i7 16GB Ram - GarageBand 10.4.5 Logic Pro X (10.4.8)
iPad Mini iOS 12 - iOS GarageBand 2.0.1
Qosimo X70-A 10.13.6 Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor 32GB DDR3L 1600MHz memory, 2-500GB 7200rpm hard drives - Logic Pro X (10.4.8)
MacMini M1 11.4 Apple M1 16GB Ram 1TB SSD Logic Pro X (10.6.2) Rosetta 2 not installed
 
User avatar
Jordi Torres
Moderator
Posts: 15998
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:24 am
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland

Re: 10.0.7: ES2 midi assignment bug

Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:32 pm

ValliSoftware wrote:
Got the solution and it's not a workaround but a smart solution and yes pun intended. :mrgreen:
Use Smart Controls on the ES2 for Automation.


But it is a workaround (although definitely the best one yet). However, we should be able to make assignments using all available options, not just via Smart Controls.

J.
Et voilà!

MacBook Pro 15" Retina i7 2.2 GHz - 16GB RAM | OS 10.14.6 | Logic Pro 10.4.8
Merging Hapi | RME Fireface 400 | Akai MPK49 | Nord Micro Modular
 
ValliSoftware
Posts: 1005
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 10:46 am

Re: 10.0.7: ES2 midi assignment bug

Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:58 pm

Jordi Torres wrote:
But it is a workaround...
J.

No it's not.
A workaround is what I found by turning on and off the MIDI Mode. That's a workaround because it's not documented anywhere in the Logic Manuals.

Smart Controls are documented so they're not a workaround.

If there was no bug with the ES2 for Automation, you'd have two solutions, not one solution and one workaround.
In fact another solution would be what you suggest with The Environment.

Yes, The Environment is a solution because that is documented as well.
MacBook Pro 10.8.5 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 6GB Ram - Logic Pro X (10.2)
MacMini 10.13.6 2GHz Intel Core i7 16GB Ram - GarageBand 10.4.5 Logic Pro X (10.4.8)
iPad Mini iOS 12 - iOS GarageBand 2.0.1
Qosimo X70-A 10.13.6 Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor 32GB DDR3L 1600MHz memory, 2-500GB 7200rpm hard drives - Logic Pro X (10.4.8)
MacMini M1 11.4 Apple M1 16GB Ram 1TB SSD Logic Pro X (10.6.2) Rosetta 2 not installed
 
User avatar
Eriksimon
Posts: 7335
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:29 pm
Location: Utrecht, the Netherlands
Contact:

Re: 10.0.7: ES2 midi assignment bug

Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:47 am

:roll:
If you use a different function to achieve the same results of a function that is broken, than that's a workaround.
Last edited by Eriksimon on Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Why did the chicken cross the Mobius ring?

MacBook Pro 13" M1 8GB RAM/miMac Intel i5 3.6 GHz 16 GB RAM/OS X 12.6 (Sierra)/HackBook Lenovo E530 i5 2.6 GHz 8 GB/Logic Pro X 10.4.4 & OS X Mojave 14.6/Logic Pro 10.5.1/AKG P120/Marantz MPM-1000/Sony F-V3T/Behringer BA 85A/U-Phoria UMC204HD/Novation Impulse 49/Studiologic CMK 149/M-Audio Keystation Mini 32 mk3
 
User avatar
Jordi Torres
Moderator
Posts: 15998
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:24 am
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland

Re: 10.0.7: ES2 midi assignment bug

Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:17 am

@Vallisoftware,

Call it what you like. The fact is (and this isn't documented in any official documents) that making MIDI assignments (there's no problem with actual automation, like you say) both through the Controller Assignments function and through Smart Controls results in data being written to the control surfaces preferences file.

Being forced to use only one of them (even if it's just for the ES2) because the data is not being written to that file cripples a program that has always been about personalized workflows (at least that's how one of my teachers "sold" it to me 15 years ago). And it makes it...a workaround.

J.
Et voilà!

MacBook Pro 15" Retina i7 2.2 GHz - 16GB RAM | OS 10.14.6 | Logic Pro 10.4.8
Merging Hapi | RME Fireface 400 | Akai MPK49 | Nord Micro Modular
 
User avatar
Eric Cardenas
Moderator
Posts: 22735
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Uppsala, Sweden

Re: 10.0.7: ES2 midi assignment bug

Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:26 am

This is a typical workaround.
This bug only affects ES2.
Eric Bradley Cardenas
EC Making Sound
Mac mini 2.6 GHz 16GB RAM Areca⚡RAID | MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz 16GB RAM | Os 10.14.5
Logic Pro 10.4.5 | RME Fireface UFX | Adam A7 + Sub8 | Spectrasonics | Softube
 
psychoid
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:59 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: 10.0.7: ES2 midi assignment bug

Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:00 pm

This most definitely is a bug. I tried it in the 10.10.1 pre-release and it's still happening. I reported it through the feedback form.
Production, Mixing & Mastering
http://www.darrenburgos.com
 
User avatar
Eric Cardenas
Moderator
Posts: 22735
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Uppsala, Sweden

Re: 10.0.7: ES2 midi assignment bug

Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:34 pm

Fixed in Logic Pro X 10.1.
Eric Bradley Cardenas
EC Making Sound
Mac mini 2.6 GHz 16GB RAM Areca⚡RAID | MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz 16GB RAM | Os 10.14.5
Logic Pro 10.4.5 | RME Fireface UFX | Adam A7 + Sub8 | Spectrasonics | Softube
 
User avatar
Jordi Torres
Moderator
Posts: 15998
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:24 am
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland

Re: 10.0.7: ES2 midi assignment bug [FIXED in 10.1]

Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:38 pm

Image

J.
Et voilà!

MacBook Pro 15" Retina i7 2.2 GHz - 16GB RAM | OS 10.14.6 | Logic Pro 10.4.8
Merging Hapi | RME Fireface 400 | Akai MPK49 | Nord Micro Modular
 
User avatar
David Nahmani
Site Admin
Posts: 84756
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:16 am
Contact:

Re: 10.0.7: ES2 midi assignment bug [FIXED in 10.1]

Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:57 pm

Finally. Good fix. :D
David Nahmani
• My Logic Pro X 10.5 book (Apple Pro Training Series)
Contact me for Private Lessons
Logic Pro X 10.6.1
MacBook Air 1.3 GHz i5 — MacOS X 11.0.1 — 4 GB RAM
iMac 3.2 GHz Quad Core i5 — MacOS X 10.15.4 — 8 GB RAM