10.0.7: ES2 midi assignment bug [FIXED in 10.1]

jazzisfaction

Hey,

yesterday I made midi assignments with my ES2 without any problems.

Then I chose a preset of the ES2 - no assignments possible and now even with the standard preset no assignments are possible anymore.

Did anybody had problems like that?

With ALL other plugIns the assignments are still as easy as before...Just with the ES2 no assignments are possible anymore !

Please help

Thanx

P

Hey David,

i'm doing it via Max/MSP...i swear that 2 days ago there was no problem with the ES2 - now nothing works anymore. But the funny thing: really only the ES2 doesn't work anymore.

Like I said: I tried a bypass assignment and some other assignments and I tested some other ES2 presets and all of a sudden: no assignments are possible anymore.

I'm kind of desperate over here.

Cheers

P

Then what's the point of the screenshot? Anyway, have you tried the very first thing to try, and the second? Those are: restarting Logic, and restarting the Mac, respectively.

If that doesn't help, have you tried it from a new project started from the empty template?

If that doesn't help, try it from a newly created user account (with Admin privileges).

The strange thing is that this only occurs with the ES2 - all other plug-ins work perfectly...maybe because I tried some assignment for the bypass of the ES2 plug-in? maybe I destroyed sty because of that?

Is there a way to COMPLETELY de-install and re-install Logic?

Don;t know what to do else?

I'd really like to use the ES2 for a big project with sensor-remote-control....puhhh

com.apple.logic10.plist

That's not the one to delete. The one that deals with assignments is the control surfaces preference file:

com.apple.logic.pro.cs

I even took a whole 'Preference' Folder from an older backup and replaced my whole current 'Preference'-Folder...no success.....

Quit Logic, delete the file. Launch Logic again. You'll have a fresh cs preferences file.

J.

Puh...I'm glad that you have the same problem. I thought I'm going crazy here.

Is there anything I can do against is? Any solution how I can assign ES2 controllers to external sources like Max/MSP?

Do I contact Logic to report the bug?

Hope u still want to help me Jordi.

Thanx so much for your patience.

P.

I tell u something: the whole assignment section in Logic Pro X socks like hell.

U do the assignments, u close the session, you re-open it and some still work, some not.

This is crap. Millions of bugs.

I'll built the synths I need by myself...on a stable platform.

I'm quite angry here.

Ah, I didn't know exactly what u meant....I'll try....thanx.

BUT: even though I tried the ES1 in Logic 9.1.8. and for example the cutoff assignment works fine, then I close Logic, open it again and it's still assigned but it's not tracking anymore. I have to do the assignment again and then it starts working again.

Could u check this also please?

So assigning ex the CutOff of the ES1, closing Logic, re-open and see what happens?

The same thing with the volume assignment of a track. It works, i close, it doesn't work, i re-assign, it works again....

Hi,

for example the cutoff assignment works fine, then I close Logic, open it again and it's still assigned but it's not tracking anymore

That sounds like you quit both Logic and Max. Max uses virtual MIDI ports. Every time you quit Max and then open your patch again, these virtual ports will get a entirely new CoreMIDI ID, even if their name never changes ("from Max 1", etc). This won't happen if Max is left open and you just quit Logic.

Here's what the port assignment looks like here after quitting Max and the reopening the patch:

625572549_ScreenShot2014-05-22at10_33_54.png.764b635a86371dbf70a28cb4fcb0c5f3.png

It should look like this to work:

831598996_ScreenShot2014-05-22at11_03_44.png.fb83ff0f5637ed840c8f46c0c569dd0d.png

I have to do the assignment again and then it starts working again.

You don't need to redo the assignments, you simply choose the correct port from the drop-down menu. That's done in Expert View in the Controller Assignments window.

I should also mention I'm not having this problem with Logic Pro X. I can quit any of them and the assignment doesn't break.

Anyway, to work around this issue, use OSX's IAC driver instead of Max's virtual ports. The IAC driver's ports always have the same ID so the assignment won't break if you use that.

J.

• 1 month later...

Wanting to add in here...it seems like this bug exists for midi learn / midi assignment for effect bypass too?

I cannot assign an effect bypass to a midi control, and it behaves very similarly to the ES2 bug.

Can anyone else confirm on Logic 10.0.7?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Addition: Touch and Latch modes also do not work on the ES2.

All ES2 parameters do still respond to automation though, but the only way to enter it is to draw it in - or abandon it alltogether and use the MIDI assignments at the bottom in conjunction with the modulation matrix, and record the MIDI CC. The advantage is that you can still (musically) perform the automation that way.

• 1 month later...