Hyper Draw Region Volume no longer in LPX?

morganmd7

I've used LP since '07 and I'm used to being able to hyper draw volume on each region for BOTH audio and MIDI files. Now it seems they changed it to MIDI Draw and it only works on MIDI regions? Am I wrong? Did they give it a new name?

I'd love to be able to hyper draw volume directly on regions... (I know you can open track automation and do the same thing but it's less convenient to me).

Let me know!

To draw MIDI Draw data directly onto an Audio Region you have to enable it in the Local Menu of the Tracks Window:

Local Menu ➤ View ➤ MIDI Draw ➤ Volume Automation

or

Local Menu ➤ View ➤ MIDI Draw ➤ Panorama Automation

The status can be set individually for the selected Region and MIDI Draw data is then also visible in the Audio Editor

I'm a big fan of the feature "Formerly Known As" Hyperdraw. Unfortunately, Midi draw has some drawbacks… if you will.. the main being, you can't see it unless you zoom way in and it seems a little glitchier than before. It always was a bit "jumpy" but now it seems worse. Maybe it's my imagination, as almost everything seems worse GUI wise on LPX, but Mididraw has definitely taken a step backwards.

You can do the same thing with an audio track. First make a another track (or lane) that is the same track/object etc. Then make a midi region. They've (stupidly) changed in LPX so that you have to make a midi region on a midi track and can't make one on an audio track. So make a new blank region with the pencil or something on a Midi track… Drag it up to the audio track/lane you made and turn on MidiDraw… then that will be controlling the audio track you want

246030626_ScreenShot2014-06-25at10_46_36PM.png.c07305cadf526ce144b9c3ea5e11723c.png

They've (stupidly) changed in LPX so that you have to make a midi region on a midi track and can't make one on an audio track. So make a new blank region with the pencil or something on a Midi track… Drag it up to the audio track/lane you made and turn on MidiDraw… then that will be controlling the audio track you want]

Yes, I don't like that new restrictions in LPX either. I always create a Track assigned to the Output Chanel Strip to create fade outs. In addition, I place a Region on the Track that I use as a reference for the Export range. If I have different versions of a project, I move the Track Automation to Region Automation (to "embed" that volume automation) and park the Tracks on an un-assigned Track. That workflow is now screwed up because LPX won't even allow me to create a Region (or move a Region) on that Track anymore, let alone, store CC7 data inside for Volume Automation.

They've (stupidly) changed in LPX so that you have to make a midi region on a midi track and can't make one on an audio track. So make a new blank region with the pencil or something on a Midi track… Drag it up to the audio track/lane you made and turn on MidiDraw

Shift-click with the pencil tool to create an empty MIDI region on an audio track.

J.

Yes, I don't like that new restrictions in LPX either. I always create a Track assigned to the Output Chanel Strip to create fade outs. In addition, I place a Region on the Track that I use as a reference for the Export range. If I have different versions of a project, I move the Track Automation to Region Automation (to "embed" that volume automation) and park the Tracks on an un-assigned Track. That workflow is now screwed up because LPX won't even allow me to create a Region (or move a Region) on that Track anymore, let alone, store CC7 data inside for Volume Automation.

I remember reading a workaround you provided for that:

Create a track for the Master channel strip and place the region there.

J.

I remember reading a workaround you provided for that:

Create a track for the Master channel strip and place the region there.

J.

Yes, that is a good idea, I usually try not to touch the Master Channel Strip and leave it at unity gain, but this should work.

It is still strange though that the Output Channel Strip is the only one when assigned to a Track that won't allow to create or place a MIDI Region on it. Even the Input Channel Strip and the Bus Channel Strip can do it. It almost looks like a bug.

I usually try not to touch the Master Channel Strip

In that case, there's also this:

Create a monitor object in the MIDI Environment and connect it to the output channel strip object. Drag the monitor object onto and empty track in the track list. Place an empty region on this track and do your thing. You could even rename this track "Output" if you like.

It is still strange though that the Output Channel Strip is the only one when assigned to a Track that won't allow to create or place a MIDI Region on it. Even the Input Channel Strip and the Bus Channel Strip can do it. It almost looks like a bug.

I agree.

J.

• 5 months later...

How do you guys do quick volume adjustment when doing things like sound design? I've never found track automation as practical for that because each region usually has it's own level drawn over it and that's a lot more clicks. In LP9 I did midi draw volume on my regions, but LPX has made that slower because I have to enable it every time.

I want something fast and with the fewest clicks (none of this creating a new midi region, that just seems way too slow).

Do I have to enable this for EVERY region? I remember in LP9 it just automatically let me midi draw volume when I hit the Hotkey.

The region (or regions) where you want to do MIDI Draw needs to be selected. You can still turn MIDI Draw on with a single key command (Autodefine), or If you want to do Volume MIDI Draw right away, there's also a key command for that. Keep in mind you may need to zoom in vertically a bit for MIDI Draw to appear (that's new in Logic Pro X, unfortunately).

J.

Ok. There seems to be a difference between MIDI Draw> Volume Automation and Midi Draw> Volume. I can't seem to find "Volume Automation" in the hotkeys, just "Volume". I set Midi Draw> Volume to the key "V", but even when I zoom in it doesn't show up?

Kinda confusing. Thanks for your help.

Ok. There seems to be a difference between MIDI Draw> Volume Automation and Midi Draw> Volume.

Indeed. Logic 9 didn't let you choose between these two. "Volume" is good old CC7. As it happens, Logic Pro X let's you decide if the channel strip fader responds or not to this MIDI CC in your project's MIDI settings. If you tell it not to respond to CC7, you can still use CC7 as MIDI draw when, for example, using an instrument that responds to that CC. This way the CC data won't be hijacked by the channel strip fader and will go directly to the instrument. On the other hand, the "Volume Automation" option will let you control the fader using MIDI Draw no matter how that setting is set.

The key command I was referring to was for the "Volume" (CC7) one, by the way.

J.

Ok. So I set the Volume I think you're talking about to the key "V"

(screenshot https://www.dropbox.com/s/7s9mhkbjdpnhcp9/Screenshot%202014-12-22%2010.06.00.png?dl=0)

but as much as I hit "V" and zoom in vertically I still don't see it. Do I also have to manually enable MIDI draw volume in the View menu each time? I sure hope not, that adds an extra step..

Thanks for your help, I just know I'll be using this feature a ton and want to be able to do it as quickly as possible.

Hi,

Ok. So I set the Volume I think you're talking about to the key "V"

Yes, that's the key command I'm talking about ("MIDI Draw: Volume") which in turn can be controlled by a key or key combination. By default it's unassigned, I see you've assigned it to "V". That's OK, but that key is normally assigned to the "Show/Hide All Plug-in Windows" command.

Do I also have to manually enable MIDI draw volume in the View menu each time?

No, you don't have to do that.

You can use the command I mentioned to show volume MIDI Draw, then use the "MIDI Draw: Disable" command to hide it.

J.

That's what I was referring to when I said "key" sorry. I already have MIDI Draw: Volume set to "V" in key commands as you can see from this screenshot - https://www.dropbox.com/s/r3r18n781lp8rj8/Screenshot%202014-12-22%2010.37.39.png?dl=0

When I hit the key "V" to activate that key command, nothing seems to happen. I zoom in and still don't see the volume line.

as you can see from this screenshot - https://www.dropbox.com/s/r3r18n781lp8r ... 9.png?dl=0

Please attach any images to your posts instead of linking to other websites, this is to avoid dead links.

When I hit the key "V" to activate that key command, nothing seems to happen. I zoom in and still don't see the volume line.

Like I said that key is assigned to Show/Hide All Plug-in Windows by default...did you click "OK" or "Replace" when you got this dialog:

1265854756_ScreenShot2014-12-22at16_47_51.png.61d6c347b00b9c5424dc7443fb0d9b8a.png

J.

Yes, I clicked "Replace." So when you do hit this key command "Midi Draw:Volume" the region volume automation automatically pops up? You don't have to enable it within View>Volume Automation?

Is this some sort of bug within my Logic X?

I do this all the time with LP9 and it works great.

Yes, I clicked "Replace." So when you do hit this key command "Midi Draw:Volume" the region volume automation automatically pops up? You don't have to enable it within View>Volume Automation?

Is this some sort of bug within my Logic X?

Works fine here. No need to do anything in the menu. I'm using a key combination that was not previously assigned to something else, not sure if your problem is related to that.

J.

It is a bit strange, if I go in an manually select MIDI Draw> Volume Automation it shows up. In LP9 it would just show up on the key command for Midi Draw: Volume.

Wish I could update or something...

Please click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic 10.0.7)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS 10.9.3)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)

• Memory (e.g. 2GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. Presonus AudioBox USB)

• MIDI Controller manufacturer and model (e.g. M-Audio Axiom Pro 49)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

Maybe your issue is related to the specific version of Logic or OSX you're using (or a combination of both).

J.