Is it possible to pan only one frequency range?

iucakeov

typically you'll want the bass frequency to be mono..... but if you want to pan the low frequencies left, you'll have to split the track. duplicate the track and use the eq to cut all the highs and pan that track left. then on the other duplicate cut all the lows and pan that right, or leave centered. you can then create a track stack and use this as one instrument.

the second question is a totally different thing. the channel eq in logic has left, right, mid, side, and stereo modes. you can eq those within that plugin.

the third question is essentially a mix between the first two. but why would you want to do that? if you put all the low on the left, why would you then want it on the right?

Hi, I'd like to pan only the bass range of an instrument to the left, is there a trick to achieve this?

Thanks

You can achieve this by filtering out the high end on one track and then filtering out the low end on a duplicate track.

This way you pan them independently. Handy when working with audio.

If you are using Software Instruments or External MIDI you could route keybed to panning instead. This way you can get a gradual left to right feeling if you'd like.

Thanks for all the responses.

What it is a tabla track recording that has the low bass drum on the left and the high trum on the right. But the left one is bleeding into the right and interfering with the the bass guitar and the kick but I love the sound and want to preserve it. So I want to throw it all into the right channel, So partially I do want to take some of the bass bleed from the right channel and transfer it over to the left too.

I'm hoping this will do the trick to reduce the interference as i want it all as much possible in the mix :)

Double tracks sounds great, and I'll play around with how to transfer the bleed bass from right to left too.

Any extra suggestions welcome :)

I hope that was clear, basically with the bass and kick in the centre, I want to transfer all the tabla sound to the left as much possible, and leave the high pitched other drum on the far right with just the highs that it has naturally (with no bleed)

And for the record, I happen to really like the panning effect with the tabla. I don't want to put both tabla drums to the left.

After checking the two channels separately, I'm realizing that the bleed is not too heavy on the right channel, so perhaps just widening the track stereo with the direction mixer would help separate it from the middle. I'll experiment with it all, thanks again for your feedback!

• 5 years later...