Unique signal paths per track

briansone

Hello everyone & thanks in advance for any tips.

Is it possible to create individual signal paths through various AUX's per track? an example will illustrate...

i have 2 MIDI tracks & 2 AUX's. The path i require is:

MIDI 1 --> AUX 1 --> Stereo out.

MIDI 2 --> AUX 1 --> AUX 2 --> Stereo out.

While not possible in analog world, is this possible in Logic?

i don't think this is possible. aux 1 would have 2 different outputs. that's not possible. what you'd probably need to do is create 3 aux tracks. essentially duplicate aux 1 so they have the same effects and everything going on. because you want midi 1 going to aux 1 and midi 2 going to aux 1, but only midi 2 would then feed to aux 2. you'd want to create 3 aux track. send midi 1 to aux 1 and midi 2 to aux 2 but both aux 1 and aux 2 would be the same. then route aux 2 to aux 3 and then to the stereo out. make sense? but i don't think it's possible to give aux 1 two outputs. and since both midi 1 and midi 2 would be routed to aux 1, there's no way to do it by using a send because both midi tracks would be going to that aux track. and how would you be able to split aux 1 so that it knows midi 1 information needs to go to the stereo out and midi 2 information needs to go to aux 2 and then stereo out? remember both midi 1 and 2 that you're wanting would be routed to that one aux channel. how would that aux know what information to split?

Hello everyone & thanks in advance for any tips.

Is it possible to create individual signal paths through various AUX's per track? an example will illustrate...

i have 2 MIDI tracks & 2 AUX's. The path i require is:

MIDI 1 --> AUX 1 --> Stereo out.

MIDI 2 --> AUX 1 --> AUX 2 --> Stereo out.

While not possible in analog world, is this possible in Logic?

You can't use aux. one on both tracks (for the reasons explained in last post- simply put sending aux 1 to aux2 would also send midi aux 1 signal to AUX2).

But you can make a duplicate of it and use the duplicate.

MIDI 1 -->Aux1--> stereo out

MIDI 2 -->Aux 2 (copy of aux 1) --> Aux 3 --> stereo out.

You could also achieve this in analogue (if you have enough busses) by using a track for the return of the bus and sending to another bus via the sends. It requires a pre fader send and keeping the volume down on the return track. Or by using a patch bay to insert.

That being said, it looks like insert effects would be a simpler solution and achieve the same results.

MIDI 1 (insert 1) --> Stereo out

MIDI 2 (insert 1) (insert 2) --> stereo out

thank you for the replies. ok, a shame it's not possible but understand the fixes you've both suggested. My problem in reality is a bit more complicated, with more like 5 MIDI tracks, each being sent to various AUX's & I want just a few of them to pass through a common filter sweep at a certain point in the song.

I think inserting the same EQ a few times on some of the channel strips may be the best way here. It's manageable but I just need to remember to make any changes to the filter sweep automation across a few tracks. & i'm sure in the future less manageable situations will arise.

I was hoping Logic might have found some way in digital space to split AUX inputs into separate outputs... it never hurts to dream eh?