"Error While Trying to Synchronize Audio and Midi"

IMRECS

I am using Xfer Nerve Drum Machine in Logic X and I keep getting this message whenever the Nerve Software Instrument is selected in the arrange window. The full message is ""Error While Trying to Synchronize Audio and Midi - Sample Rate 42468 Recognized. Check Conflict between Logic Pro X and External Device"

When I have another VST software instrument selected I get regular core audio overload messages.

When I have a blank audio track selected, the session runs perfectly.

I understand a solution would be to keep a blank audio track selected in the arrange window, though when I mix, that selection often changes automatically when I am moving faders and plugins around. Is there a setting I can select so that this doesn't happen? I don't have any "record enable" lights or buttons on any of the software tracks, though perhaps they are still "armed" when selected?

Advice? Thanks!

will try and report back.

what about the face that I get cpu overload messages only when an instrument track is selected, but not when a blank audio track is selected in the arrange window? i would assume if a VST instrument was armed for recording, that might affect the CPU load, but since there are no armed or record buttons even visible, what could the solution be for that?

Hi IMRECS,

Click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic 10.0.7)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS 10.9.3)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)

• Memory (e.g. 2GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. Presonus AudioBox USB)

• MIDI Controller manufacturer and model (e.g. M-Audio Axiom Pro 49)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

Thank you.

J.

Is there a way to turn off "live mode" since while mixing I am never recording/needing live input for my software instruments?

Nope.

Just don't select a software instrument.

The only problem with that solution is when I am mixing, if I select a software instrument in the mixer window (adjusting faders, plugins, etc.), then it automatically selects it in the arrange, the cpu starts getting jerky, and then overloads eventually. no other solutions?

• 6 months later...

I have the same error popping up. Running Mac os iMac 10.9.5 2.8 ghz intel core i7 8gb 1333 mhs ddr3

using external drive from Seagate attached via usb. Error happens whether I am using the file from the external drive or hard drive. Happens during playback, and recording. Using a Focusrite Saffire Liquid 56 interface...a UA 4-710d is the master, the Focusrite is slave to that. Using Saffire MixControl 3.4(attachment)

818217965_ScreenShot2015-03-24at12_18_04PM.png.a559ce951fc3519c723a27c656869c8a.png

I receive this message when my I/O Buffer Size is improperly set. For instance, if I am using a large number of software instruments and it is set to 128 or 256 samples, I automatically know to increase this to 512 or 1024 samples. The other option is to disable, freeze or bounce some of the software instrument tracks.

I am not btw recommending any particular buffer size. I have been working with a core2duo until recently and I would expect your i7 and 16gb of ram to handle lower buffer sizes. Anyway, give it a shot.

The only instrument that is midi is a keyboard on one track with no effects. I have tried changing the buffer size and it seemingly worked but then started up again, so I don't think that it was the fix. My unit has 8gigs of ram but still that should be fine for what I am doing. I have about 20 tracks of audio, vocals, and instruments. no plug ins.

The only instrument that is midi is a keyboard on one track with no effects. I have tried changing the buffer size and it seemingly worked but then started up again, so I don't think that it was the fix. My unit has 8gigs of ram but still that should be fine for what I am doing. I have about 20 tracks of audio, vocals, and instruments. no plug ins.

Any cursory search of the net will demonstrate a number of people who have experienced this issue and resolved it with any combination of increasing the buffer size and freezing or bouncing software instrument tracks, etc...

How many MIDi tracks you have is irrelevant. Increasing the buffer is the remedy for this, unless you decrease the load on the cpu by the other means listed (or are using agregate devices etc). You gave no specifics but, if for instance, increasing the load from 32 samples to 64 lessens the problem but does not eliminate it, go to 128 or 256 and so forth...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204466

As for my situation, it seems to be currently resolved. I wrote to Focusrite and did a couple of things per their suggestion.

First and foremost, my interface software was one update off. That was major. Then I followed a number of their directives for making my Mac more friendly to my recording situation...a lot of it had to do with Firewire settings, Firewall settings, Network settings. So far, three recording sessions and no sync errors. But it was mainly an update/settings issue, in my case. Not buffer size. But thanks for the help.

After a few days of recording with no error....Error back...no plug ins, latest software updates. Super annoying. No matter what the sample rate is set at, the error appears. Disabling/reenabling core audio seems to work for one pass through the song and then the error returns. I have read many different threads on this but no conclusive solution has been offered or reported by anyone...at least not one that works for me.

I am still experiencing problems with Saffire 56 and Logic Pro x. Does anyone else have this issue with any other interfaces and Logic Pro X? Attached is a screenshot. I have nothing but the Saffire 56 connected via Firewire to my iMac 10.9.5 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 8 gb ram. Saffire has the latest software and I have made all the suggested adjustments to Firewire, energy saving, and sleep settings.

1562061752_ScreenShot2015-04-12at1_45_24PM.thumb.png.517582b89e82c15a6fa7d108117c360f.png

I just remembered one other thing that I troubleshoot when changing the buffer size doesn't correct the issue. Logic's default Synchronization frame rate setting is 25fps and I change it to match my external equipment- either 29.97 or 29.97d (drop frame). One of these two things (buffer size or frame rate) always resolves my issues. I don't as often have to freeze tracks. Hope this may help

901046208_ScreenShot2015-04-13at10_42_55AM.png.a7c43f44400fd3a5cc661d8bc7bcd230.png

• 3 years later...
Make sure you have updated drivers for the fireface first.

Another thing I do when this happens:

Go to Logic's Audio preferences, disable Core Audio, Apply Changes.

Re-enable Core Audio, Apply Changes.

Usually works after that.

how come you are telling everyone its an interface related issue. If 5 different audio interface exhibits this SAME problem, at what point do you concede that it's a logic issue? the poster above you gave a good recommendation. after changing the frame rate to 29 my cpu load at the chorus is 20% as well. This stops the errors temporarily. If I take 20 minute break and leave the session and come back. Problem returns. Chorus at 50% and Midi sync error comes back

how come you are telling everyone its an interface related issue. If 5 different audio interface exhibits this SAME problem, at what point do you concede that it's a logic issue? the poster above you gave a good recommendation. after changing the frame rate to 29 my cpu load at the chorus is 20% as well. This stops the errors temporarily. If I take 20 minute break and leave the session and come back. Problem returns. Chorus at 50% and Midi sync error comes back

Everyone?? What are you talking about?

I was answering the OP that had an RME Fireface, not a Saffire.

And then I suggested it might be the Nerve 3rd party plugin, so he said he would contact the developer.

Then the user with a Saffire posts his own issues. I didn't reply to that user.

So I really don't understand how you can imply that I did?

Everyone?? What are you talking about?

I was answering the OP that had an RME Fireface, not a Saffire.

And then I suggested it might be the Nerve 3rd party plugin, so he said he would contact the developer.

Then the user with a Saffire posts his own issues. I didn't reply to that user.

So I really don't understand how you can imply that I did?

because I saw it in other threads. I apologize. Its just a bit frustrating. The problem stopped for about an hour, I take a break and its back again. I notice that one core is spiking at the same time. How is it that the project can run so low in cpu but when left idle for a while and you press play the session can barely play.

because I saw it in other threads. I apologize. Its just a bit frustrating. The problem stopped for about an hour, I take a break and its back again. I notice that one core is spiking at the same time. How is it that the project can run so low in cpu but when left idle for a while and you press play the session can barely play.

Every DAW setup is different. CPU overloads can be weird.

I use an Apollo Quad like you and on one project I have the CPU was going crazy. Very strange.

So I messed around with the Apollo settings and the Logic settings until I fixed it.

So what's your setup?

Are you using 3rd party plugins as well on those projects with the CPU spikes?

Every DAW setup is different. CPU overloads can be weird.

I use an Apollo Quad like you and on one project I have the CPU was going crazy. Very strange.

So I messed around with the Apollo settings and the Logic settings until I fixed it.

So what's your setup?

Are you using 3rd party plugins as well on those projects with the CPU spikes?

2013 i7 2.8 ghz 16 Gig of ram. Logic Pro 10.3.3 el capital. Waves plugins, stock plugins and alchemy. Again I have all my settings to max for latency. Everything plays great and then once I leave and come back I get midi errors... only when left idle for like 20 minutes... I’ve been using the same plugins for years the only thing that changed is logic.

2013 i7 2.8 ghz 16 Gig of ram. Logic Pro 10.3.3 el capital. Waves plugins, stock plugins and alchemy. Again I have all my settings to max for latency. Everything plays great and then once I leave and come back I get midi errors... only when left idle for like 20 minutes... I’ve been using the same plugins for years the only thing that changed is logic.

Is the Apollo Thunderbolt or Firewire?

I personally never updated to 10.3.3. when it came out. I stayed with 10.3.2 until 10.4.1 came out and then I switched to High Sierra. Happy camper since.

I've seen issues on this forum with that version so I avoided it at the time.

Is the Apollo Thunderbolt or Firewire?

I personally never updated to 10.3.3. when it came out. I stayed with 10.3.2 until 10.4.1 came out and then I switched to High Sierra. Happy camper since.

I've seen issues on this forum with that version so I avoided it at the time.

Had the same problems with 10.3.2. But not nearly as bad. How can I get back to 10.2. No I’m not switching all the way to high Sierra if that’s what you’re suggesting. The issues I’ve heard in that one are nightmares compared to what I’m dealing with now. I’m on thunderbolt