VCA-groups [SOLVED]

danyg

Is there any chance to get VCA groups one day without having to use the group/volume option. It would be so nice to be able to adjust a single fader which is in a real VCA group.

In the meantime...

Is there a shortcut to remove temporarily a single fader from a group?

I'm not sure if this qualifies as temporarily removing a single fader from a group or not, but have you tried the Toggle Group Clutch command? (found under Global Commands in the Key Command window)

This lets you temporarily disable the group so you can adjust one fader. Toggle it back on after you are done adjusting the fader to resume the group function.

"Select all the tracks that you want to route to the "VCA" then choose Track > Create Track Stack... then choose the folder option."

I got it working as it should. Thank you Eric. I just have to change my workflow. I use to have summing busses at the bottom and the stack folder is on top.

excuse me to continue this one...

after rechecking, it's actually not what I was talking about. The folder fader is behaving like a normal volume or output fader not like a VCA. To be a real VCA fader the volume fader of the folder should lower all single faders in this folder (as if they where grouped). And in the same time someone should be able to touch and move single faders without affecting the others.

Hmm, so I guess Logic can't do it

To be a real VCA fader the volume fader of the folder should lower all single faders in this folder (as if they where grouped).

:?:

That's not usually how VCA faders behave on analog consoles.

The beauty of this VCA faders is that you can route the output of different channel strips to whatever you like. Audio is never passing through the VCA fader directly.

VCA.gif.9958c1322b96fe9270d1b4ffb77cb83e.gif

Eric,

I'm just in front of a Neve 88R and the channel faders do actually move when I automate a VCA group (no audio passing, as you said)

That's why I was confused in Logic. I had no audio files in my Logic template. I was just moving the VCA group and nothing happened with the channel faders.

But when audio is playing (just added some random files) it is actually trimmed up and down with the VCA (without moving channel faders). So, I got you. Cool it's finally working.

sorry to come back to this "solved" post... I'm still trying different workflows.

When I flatten the stack again and I put the corresponding VCA fader in my arrangement - How can route a newly created track to this VCA? Or how can I see which old tracks had already been routed to that VCA?

• 1 month later...
Yeah, I read the thread. But it seemed like the guys weren't in complete agreement about what was going on. Also, the view on some other forums seems to be that Logic doesn't have real VCAs and that some functionality is missing.

You can surely try it out and decide if what is currently possible is good enough (or not) for your purposes?

J.