6 Months since last update?...

8EBREAKZER

Just want to have a moan about why it takes the LPX devs etc to release bug fixes..?.. why can't they just release little bug fixes more regularly/sooner instead of half a year and longer?.. most other DAW companies do that.. there are loads of well noticed/documented glitches and bugs in LP10.0.7 from months ago!.., so i've sent a feedback form to them complaining and i'll keep sending them one everyday complaining hardcore which probably won't do much but i just feel they take far to long!, i don't want flashy big updates just little bug fixes and stability!.. ok had my rant now.. me just frustrated.

Just want to have a moan about why it takes the LPX devs etc to release bug fixes..?.. why can't they just release little bug fixes more regularly/sooner instead of half a year and longer?.. most other DAW companies do that.. there are loads of well noticed/documented glitches and bugs in LP10.0.7 from months ago!.., so i've sent a feedback form to them complaining and i'll keep sending them one everyday complaining hardcore which probably won't do much but i just feel they take far to long!, i don't want flashy big updates just little bug fixes and stability!.. ok had my rant now.. me just frustrated.

Agree.

i called the pro apps department last week and went off on the logic person. it's so unacceptable that it's been this long. they broke the browser in the last update over 6 MONTHS AGO! like you said, we don't need major things here. just fix what you broke in the last update! so ridiculous! i have done the feedback thing as well almost every single day for the last 6 months..... they clearly don't read or care about those at all. at this point i'm pretty sure they've just stopped working on it. no DAW out there goes this long without some sort of update to fix bugs. most get updated rather often actually.

Great stuff!.. keep it up as we all need to stop being so complacent and complain demand more from them as this is just plain slackness!.. i been using reaper more and more for the last 6 months and it gets regularly updated at least once a month and sometimes sooner plus its just been given the newest elastic pro v3 its just what logic could of been..,anyway LPX has so much potential yet the management of this is just pathetic!...

i called the pro apps department last week and went off on the logic person. it's so unacceptable that it's been this long. they broke the browser in the last update over 6 MONTHS AGO! like you said, we don't need major things here. just fix what you broke in the last update! so ridiculous! i have done the feedback thing as well almost every single day for the last 6 months..... they clearly don't read or care about those at all. at this point i'm pretty sure they've just stopped working on it. no DAW out there goes this long without some sort of update to fix bugs. most get updated rather often actually.

Hello there!.., and yes this is really bad..., can you please send in a complaint to apple telling them this is completely unacceptable plus tell them to hurry up and i ask everyone else who reads this to send in as many complaints as they can to try and get them better managed to get this sorted out as this is just not right!... how much longer do we have to wait?.. 8 months?.. 12 months?.. 14 months?.. come on apple!.

Mannnn I was just thinking it's been a while but 6 MONTHS :o

That's really bad, like reallyyyyyy bad

Just an FYI...

there are two schools of management, one is update all the time, like Reaper. The other is once per period. Where that period can be six months or even a year. Just to let you know this second method is not that uncommon with large companies.

People in the CAD / 3d World's have had to deal with yearly updates for a long time. Expectations seem to be as other music companies do frequently update so should lpx unfortunately that does not always register unless enough people let it be known, and with the larger they are the less inclined to listen unless the vast majority is hammering at the door.

Plus you get the problems of managing frequent releases as if the software is not designed for it, it can mean a whole reinstall, not just of the app, but all the libraries too.. Then people complain. Further, people say "it's not stable, and every month I have to reinstall...they should have fixed in in the first place".

Or you get what people are saying here.. "too long". Then some will say well just fix x,y,z asap... but for every user the x,y,z IS different.

Some days for the developers of lpx you get the feeling you're in a no win scenario.

Yes i hear you... but!... when LPX was released in july 2013 they then released 7 updates to it with in the first 10 months!.. so from July 2014 till now is 4 months and we've had nothing at all!???, but as has been said already it has now been 6 months all up of no updates at all???.. it doesn't make any sense!.. just slack management!.. hopefully soon we'll get an update?.. before xmas???.

Just an FYI...

there are two schools of management, one is update all the time, like Reaper. The other is once per period. Where that period can be six months or even a year. Just to let you know this second method is not that uncommon with large companies.

People in the CAD / 3d World's have had to deal with yearly updates for a long time. Expectations seem to be as other music companies do frequently update so should lpx unfortunately that does not always register unless enough people let it be known, and with the larger they are the less inclined to listen unless the vast majority is hammering at the door.

Plus you get the problems of managing frequent releases as if the software is not designed for it, it can mean a whole reinstall, not just of the app, but all the libraries too.. Then people complain. Further, people say "it's not stable, and every month I have to reinstall...they should have fixed in in the first place".

Or you get what people are saying here.. "too long". Then some will say well just fix x,y,z asap... but for every user the x,y,z IS different.

Some days for the developers of lpx you get the feeling you're in a no win scenario.

it doesn't make any sense!.. just slack management!..

It's all business priorities.

iOS 8 and Yosemite have bigger usability issues. Logic is peanuts against it.

You take care of your cash cow first.

I think we had all those updates in a short period because there were way too many bugs, and they didn't want to relive the Final Cut X debacle. So they left it usable for the majority. Now it's on the back burner.

it doesn't make any sense!.. just slack management!..

PLEASE stop saying "slack management", in fact it probably the most intelligent management decision - see below. Further if you send that kind of comment to apple, it's only going to "Reinforce" the mindset that it's better NOT to communicate to users.

And the reason why it's an intelligent decision is simple logic. (pardon the pun).... Logic runs on the OS, if the OS has wifi failing, people will blame lpx for not being able to upload to sound cloud etc. They'll also blame lpx for not being able to use their ipad. With email's failing in yosemite too, people will say i cant send my work as attachments, what am i supposed to do? (those cases were taken from the list of Yosemite fixes!?)

Since logic work and only works on the mac, it's a fundamental issue that those issues of Yosemite get resolved. That's the priority, it's not a case of dropping work on logic to get Yosemite done, it's getting Yosemite stable, with out that logic will always be problematic - regardless if bugs are fixed.

And since you talk of the previous updates, look when they happened, in mountain lion and mav, well after the core issues with the OS got resolved.

If I was the manager of logic, I would NOT put it Logic out now, even IF the bugs were fixed and it was ready to go. To do so you'll obfuscating the issues of Yosemite problems, and adding fuel to the flames of Logic and Yosemite negativity as well as increasing the volume of dross that you going to get in regards to what works and does not - with unclear causality.

Hopefully it answers your two questions above, sense and management. It might not resolve your frustration, but hopefully your better informed, as to potential reasons as to why updates are not happening right away.

On one hand it REALLY sucks having to wait.

On the other hand, I agree with ChrisJ, it's a completely different story when working on the app development side of things. There are priorities, and some (rather, most) of them are not so obvious end users. I wouldn't jump to conclusions and say its shite management.

Some apps are set up for frequent releases while others are not. Younger apps usually have frequent releases because the code-base isn't locked in... things are still flexible. The older and more sophisticated an app gets, the harder it is to simply add new features or fixes without ripping out some of the guts and re-writing whole sections of code from scratch.

I also work in app development (currently working on a pretty advanced music education app), so I know how this goes. As a developer, I would LOVE to release a new version of my app every month, but sometimes it doesn't work out that way :/

That said, I (personally) think it's critical to engage users if your app has infrequent releases (e.g., dev blogs), but that has NEVER been apples thing, and no matter how much I kick and shout, we'll never get that sort of transparency.

.R

if your previous update introduces new bugs, you should update your product ASAP in order to fix those bugs your last update introduced. just leaving those bugs for over 6 months is HORRIBLE customer service to the people that have paid for a product. i paid for this product to work as intended. it doesnt. this is what we have a problem with. and as a paying customer, i have every right to be pissed that they aren't addressing the issues they introduced in their last update. one of the BIGGEST bugs and most frustrating for me being the browser playback. for over 6 months now, trying to browse samples is nearly impossible. you have to hit play for EACH SAMPLE! logic has NEVER worked this way as long as i've been using it. you hit play once and you scroll through and it then automatically plays each sample. NOW it plays the sample and if the sample completely finishes playing, you then scroll to the next sample and have to hit play again. now why is this a HORRIBLE bug? it's terrible for workflow when trying to sort through short samples like snares and kick drums. you have to hit play EACH TIME. it's soooo frustrating! now if you scroll to the next sample mid-playback, it will play the next sample automatically. but if it's a short sample you have to scroll so quick that you can't even hear the full sample. it's ridiculous and has never worked this way. this to me, is major. it has made it almost unusable for me for the last 6 months. i rely heavily on samples. and finder is even worse, so that's not an option. this is something that should have been addressed as soon as it was pointed out and fixed right away. over 6 months is just unacceptable. i have reached out to the pro apps department and they have even verified this bug and KNOW it exists. and yet...... nothing has been done. THIS is unacceptable. now with 10.10.1 logic has become incredibly unstable on both my imac and macbook pro. they've had the new OS for months to work these kinks out and yet, it's now released and still..... no update. i'm sorry, but this is just so unacceptable for a product that i paid good money for. i pay for a product to work as expected. end of story.

Cringe.

Here's the solution: stop waiting.

Please do not shout just after someone patiently tried to explain to you why things are as they are. If your response is just stamping your feet and throwing an all caps tantrum, nobody is going to take you seriously.

Thank you, Erik. I must have started replying to this thread 3 times before stopping and realizing I was coming off as a little too critical - you articulated my thoughts exactly better than I could have.

• 1 month later...
i've called about 3 different bugs. i've gotten response that their engineers have documented these bugs and know about them now. and........ nothing. 7 months is just unacceptable. it's unacceptable for them to release an update (10.0.7) and introduce some new bugs, and then not release an update to fix them. they came out with those first 7 updates rather quick. they had problems they needed to fix. how are the problems now not enough for them to at least release a fix for those documented bugs? it's ridiculous. it doesn't take 7 months to fix bugs. the 10.0.7 update fixed like a million bugs and that came pretty soon after 10.0.6. so if you ask me, they've just done a poor job. i don't know if it's the same team or not, but freaking garageband gets updated and worked on waaaay more than their PROFESSIONAL product. if this next update isn't something revolutionary to logic i'm gonna be pissed. there's no reason it should take this long unless they're working on something big. even then though, they should have at least done a small release to address the issues 10.0.7 introduced. their logic team as been a huge disappointment. leaving feedback clearly doesn't do anything. i think i've left feedback thousands of times over the last 7 months. they clearly don't care. and like i said, i've even called and they've documented these problems. nothing......... it's unreal. it's like they're just blatantly ignoring their users at this point.