Quantize not working at all in Piano Roll

sailhound

I've never been able to see any movement when using Quantize in the piano roll either. Not on any project at any setting or any version of X. I just thought it was a bug of some sort.

You must be doing something wrong. I've never seen this not work, in any version of Logic Pro X. I've taught to over 100 students how to quantize in the Piano Roll in LPX and all of them without fail have seen their notes move to the grid.

• 1 month later...
Is there a chance you haven't selected the notes within the region in the piano roll? the scale quantise function works on the whole region, but tempo quantise only becomes active when you select some notes within a region, or all the notes in the region, that's what works for me anyway...

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

CORRECT! As of Logic Pro (latest version) 10.4.2 - High Sierra

Bear in mind people, if you have 2 lines of percussion on differing keys, and you group (lasso) the notes, Quantize FAILS. If you grab the lines separately however and quantize each line individually it works.. How laborious & much does that suck? Never used to be like this... ;(

• 1 month later...
Dave, just wanted to say THANK YOU. I'm a musician who tries his best to navigate LPX. I do alright, but on countless occasions I run into snags I can't get my way out of, and you always seem to have the answer. Thanks again for throwing the light on many LP mysteries. Cheers!

• 1 year later...

I think I found a fix (if this is the actual problem you're referring to). If you record midi takes and you want to quantize in the piano roll or use any of the other sliders in the piano roll, you have to have the specific "midi take" selected in the tracks area. Select the down arrow in the tracks area and that will show all the takes...and then you have to actually select the take and highlight it. Hope this helps. Keep in mind even if the track is highlighted in the tracks area...IT NEEDS TO BE HIGHLIGHTED FROM THE DROPDOWN MENU.

1633017895_ScreenShot2020-04-02at9_50_22AM.thumb.png.1adb1038bd5cb54be352784a9e4a7416.png

will NOT allow you to quantize or use velocity sliders

1193208814_ScreenShot2020-04-02at9_50_42AM.thumb.png.22e7b7461d691c4cecdb0d2dd97c8523.png

WILL allow you to use quantize and velocity sliders

• 1 month later...
I think I found a fix (if this is the actual problem you're referring to). If you record midi takes and you want to quantize in the piano roll or use any of the other sliders in the piano roll, you have to have the specific "midi take" selected in the tracks area. Select the down arrow in the tracks area and that will show all the takes...and then you have to actually select the take and highlight it. Hope this helps. Keep in mind even if the track is highlighted in the tracks area...IT NEEDS TO BE HIGHLIGHTED FROM THE DROPDOWN MENU.

Wow!That works!You are genius!Thank you so much!

• 2 years later...

None of these solutions have worked. I routinely use the quantize function in the piano roll but occasionally I get a pesky track where the notes actually become LESS quantized when I apply quantization. Eg: the first note of a run will be only a few ticks before or after the beat, but the Q to 1/16th function yanks it to either the 16th before or after the beat it's closest to! Huh?

I've checked and re-checked all settings. Proper focus, no swing, Q is 100%, nothing else in the track that would cause it to do this.

Makes zero sense. I agree with the other commenter that this is most definitely a bug in 10.5.1.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'm running into this today and I think there's some strange logic if Snap is set to Smart that some regions or events might run afoul of. There are some combinations of notes I can select within a specific region that will quantize properly, and others that will not. If I select all of them and hit Q, nothing happens. But if I select random groups of them, some quantize properly and others quantize incorrectly.

Edited by sunbrother