Logic Pro Multi instrument for Tyros 5

bricesm

Hi - I am new here and this is my first post. I have hooked up my new Tyros 5 to my Logic Pro X and am looking for a way to properly select voice changes. It has automatically created a 'workstation' instrument in Logic but this seems to only give me access to 127 voices (look like GM standards to me). Is there a way that I can set up a multi instrument in Logic so that it lets me select any of the voices from the T5?

If I have logic recording in real time and I press a voice change on the T5, logic does record the set of MSB / LSB data in the event list - but this is a painful way to have to set voices.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve :D

Having read other posts on this site I can prob work out how to use custom banks in LP but looking at the data list for the Tyros, the instruments are all distributed across various banks / combos of MSB/LSB - for example all pianos are dotted around different banks. Ideally I would like to set up so that all pianos show listed together. Help please?

Steve

I use Logic with a Tryos 5 - works fine.. This is a control sequence I made and put into my template. Tyros uses three parameters to access its sounds MSB/LSB/PROG. I fill in the last three values to get the voice I want.. You can also use any CC's to further modify the sound of the Tyros sound..

In Tyros go to UTILITY page, CONFIG 2, VOICE NUMBER. Switch this to show ON... Now you will see the voice #'s in the window whenever you select a patch on Tyros.. Copy these values to the Logic Control sequence, which I put at measure 0 in Logic..

You should create 16 control seqs for 16 tracks..I stagger the times slightly.. Cause if you send too many CC or any events at the same clock count.. Tyros or any instrument might not be able to respond time

You can also call up programs with sysex code.. but it was too complicated for me to figure out. Logic also has it's own I think it might also be possible to create custom banks combinations and program.. But Logic can only access 15 custom bank combos (MSB/LSB/) and the Tyros uses a lot more MSB/LSB combinations. so this is the method I use..

Here is link to the control midi sequence I made - https://app.box.com/s/z3ek8mcbkh9wekrd4eza

screenshot_412.jpg.d833192bac9d8633b99f8e45bd58878f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck.. Once you get used to filling in the values, it's nothing.. When you closely examine the Tyros 5 MIDI pages, you realize they put some thought into using Tyros with a DAW.. There are a lot of little tricks you come up with.. I create a 'chord' track in Logic, feed that to Tyros, and then record Tyros' style generator parts into Logic.. I then add my control sequence and assign them to other MIDI tracks.. Play that. So Tyros now plays the parts you just created, and will generate another set of style generated parts.. etc.. etc.

Have fun.. if you have specific Tyros questions.. post on PRS tutorial. I or other users will answer.. The Tyros 5 is my favorite instrument of all time..

This is a great site for Tyros - http://www.psrtutorial.com

This is also another great site - http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/

• 1 year later...

AngeloNYC, can you please expand a bit on your file I've downloaded? Is this midi file placed at the beginning of each of the 16 tracks? I'm having difficulty understanding (let alone editing it for instrument selection).

I'm also struggling on how to enter the instruments in Logic Pro itself, re Program, LSB and MSB numbers and where they're placed.

Thanks mate.

I'm on a Tyros 2 and have the numbers displayed on the sequencer, just can't seem to get them into Logic Pro properly.

Just click on record in logic and click on the patch in your tyros. Logic records the program changes and lsb/msb select. You than can erase the things you dont like (volume, reverb exc) in the eventlist. Works fast en easy! And you have access to all your tyros sounds on your fingertips!

I put a copy of the control sequence in my template.. I copy it to Logic track being sent to Tyros on measure 0.. I change the MSB/LSB/Prog to pull up the exact patch I need by using the EVENT EDITOR

On Tyros go to Utility/CONFIG 2... Turn ON 'VOICE NUMBER" to 'show'.. This way when you select an instrument on Tyros front panel, you will see the 9 digit #, The first 3 numbers are MSB, second 3 numbers are LSB, last 3 numbers are PROG.. For instance

Tyros 'Concert Grand' number is 000-122-001.

Google 'MIDI CC #'s'.. there are 127 CC's each has a different function.. you can adjust things, like attack, decay, sustain, release, detune, pan, expression, modulation, pitchblend, plus a host of others. Much more than you can adjust on Tyros face panel.

Oh yeah... some companies use programs 0 - 127 others 1 - 128... So when you are manually entering the program number as mentioned above, SUBTRACT one number from the program number displayed on Tyros face panel..

• 2 months later...

I am new to this site so I hope I give all the information needed .

I am trying to use my Tyros 5 as an external midi instrument in logic pro9 .

I am using the USB-midi cable.

I have watched loads of youtube tutorials that make it look so easy...

I can record a track, which then plays back in several of the tyros voices when selected on the keyboard (but not all of them)

I want to be able to select which tyros voice from the program list but the GM does not match up.

Is there a way to select any voice from the Tyros's hundreds from logic?

I have searched for program lists all over the net but in a format that can be pasted into the environment list. Is there such a list anywhere? None of the multi-sets I have found list the Tyros 5 as a choice.

Please Help!!!