Problem with track stacks and solo

radicalgel

I use track stacks to group sections of my mix. i.e. drums stack, guitars stack etc. My FX auxes receive audio from various tracks within the aforementioned stacks. Now I like soloing my FX auxes when processing returns as this allows me to better hear any offending frequencies or buildups. The problem is, the moment I solo any FX aux I hear no audio and the meters aren't lit up, which means there's no sound reaching the aux. If I go ahead and flatten all the track stacks, then I'm able to solo an FX aux and hear just return. I love working with stacks as they make the work area a lot cleaner and organised, but this one issue is preventing me from using them. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Ya definitely seems to be a bug. I have found a temporary workaround though.

1) Route tracks to an aux (e.g. all drums to bus 1)

2) Select all these drum tracks and create a folder track. This makes a VCA fader and adds all selected tracks to it

3) Select all drum tracks, click on the VCA assign box and change to none.

You now have the convenience of collapsing multiple tracks to hide tracks you're not currently working on. You have auxes to do buss processing and your VCA slots are free to do some other cool stuff like riding automation on a selected set of tracks. AND you can solo FX auxes and listen to just the return.

I haven't worked in 10.1 yet but I just change the output of the tracks in a summing stack to the aux I want to hear solo'd. So for drum verb or drum parallel comp, or whatever I just change the output to that aux/bus then switch back to the summing stack bus once I'm done.

Not ideal, hopefully they will fix it soon.

• 4 years later...
Uhm - I just stumbled upon this while working in logic (i just recently started actually using summing stacks). And this still seems to be a problem right? Also solo safe (when you ctrl click on solo) doesn't solve it because i cant hear the Aux return unless i put it in the same summing stack as the track it receives from - which i don't want all the time because i don't always use the same processing on Reverb/Echo and the Dry group etc. im sure you know what I mean. Did anyone find a workaround or did I overlook some settings option?