automation Absolute or Relative +-

skltr2182
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

• Solution

Let's say you record a synth. Some of the notes are too loud, so you use volume automation to turn down just those notes. Now you want to create a nice smooth fade in on that synth so its volume slowly raises over a build-up section. You can use one of the two new modes, either Relative or Trim, to create your smooth fade in while keeping the previous automation.

In that situation Relative is probably the better one as you can easily correct/redraw the fade independently of the original automation. So you end up with two lanes: the original automation turning down certain notes, and another lane for your fade in.

Trim would allow you to have the fade incorporate the original automation so that you only have a single automation lane containing both the fade in and the individual notes being turned down. You can trim as many times as you want and it constantly updates the single automation lane.

Hope that helps?

• 3 weeks later...

So ... (do I get it right?)

Trim:

After applying trim to the automated part you come up with a new value of previous automation line - there is no actual "trim line" that you can refer to or adjust after stoping the playback. It's more of this kind of workflow : "1.Trim to taste-->2. Listen back-> 3. Undo if it's not right(no editing) 5. go to point 1 .

Seems like it doubles the workflow: 1. Select a whole section of automation with marque tool --->2. Drag it up or down.

Isn't the good old "Gain plugin way at the end of the stripe" better at least you can adjust it afterwards

Relative:

Is fully editable in "+/- volume view" .

Am I right?

• 6 months later...
David Nahmani said:

Let's say you record a synth. Some of the notes are too loud, so you use volume automation to turn down just those notes. Now you want to create a nice smooth fade in on that synth so its volume slowly raises over a build-up section. You can use one of the two new modes, either Relative or Trim, to create your smooth fade in while keeping the previous automation.

In that situation Relative is probably the better one as you can easily correct/redraw the fade independently of the original automation. So you end up with two lanes: the original automation turning down certain notes, and another lane for your fade in.

Trim would allow you to have the fade incorporate the original automation so that you only have a single automation lane containing both the fade in and the individual notes being turned down. You can trim as many times as you want and it constantly updates the single automation lane.

Hope that helps?

That's a very good explanation. The manual has almost no explanation of this subject.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
  • 2 years later...

If a track doesn’t have absolute automation and set to 0 dB volume, adding relative automation line of 0 dB should not change anything. But it drops the resulting volume to –6 dB.

That’s my problem #1.

Problem #2: changing absolute volume via fader is impossible then. The fader stays at lowered level.

In the end: I want to have some drawn automation (figured it’ll be relative) and still be able to change overall level via fader.
Please help.

Screen Shot 2024-01-21 at 18.51.32.jpg

1. I think there's a bug where adding relative volume automation will add -6db of absolute volume automation when there's none prior.

2. Do you want to adjust the fader with the mouse while relative automation is happening? This doesn't work very well when I've tried to do it. Mixing Relative and Absolute Volume Automation works best when programming/drawing automation. If you want to preserve the ability to move the fader around, you sadly need a Gain plugin to make relative adjustments. Just be aware Logic's Gain plugin doesn't correct for project latency properly so sometimes its fades are off.

1 minute ago, sunbrother said:

1. I think there's a bug where adding relative volume automation will add -6db of absolute volume automation when there's none prior.

2. Do you want to adjust the fader with the mouse while relative automation is happening? This doesn't work very well when I've tried to do it. Mixing Relative and Absolute Volume Automation works best when programming/drawing automation. If you want to preserve the ability to move the fader around, you sadly need a Gain plugin to make relative adjustments. Just be aware Logic's Gain plugin doesn't correct for project latency properly so sometimes its fades are off.

Yes, I want to change a track's level with the volume fader (in Read mode) when there's relative volume automation. Seems impossible. Yes, adding the gain plug-in or creating the VCA fader (which adds another track to take care of) seems to be the only options.
Sadly, relative and trim volume doesn’t help in this case.
Thanks for you time!

Screen Shot 2024-01-21 at 20.13.52.jpg