Bass Amp Designer forces Logic to Quit.

Frances O

When Bass Amp Designer is selected as an Audio FX insert in mixer - instant Logic quit.

Has anybody experienced this, or have any suggestions to troubleshoot?

What I have done so far:

Restart,

Begin with new empty project,

Repair Permissions,

Check every Audio FX insert - all work except Bass Amp Designer.

I have searched the web, the Apple site and this forum but have not found any reference to the above issue.

Hope there is somebody who can help with this.

Works fine for me, 10.9.5/10.1.1.

Logic plugins shouldn't cause a crash - I'd suggest a reinstall of the Logic app, just to make sure something isn't screwy with your Logic installation. Also, check your default Bass Amp Designer patch to see if that is corrupted somehow.

Do you have Mainstage? Does Bass Amp Designer work in that for you?

Thanks for the help.

OK - now the problem looks bigger but different. I have rolled back through my LOGIC versions and finally got Bass Amp Designer to work in 10.0.7 pre December 2014.

But MainStage has failed to open.

I have restored MainStage from Time Machine - no version from Time machine will work ( I haven't used MainStage in a while so would not have noticed that behaviour.)

Unless there are other considerations / files I have missed using Time Machine to restore?

Any further advice much appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Never did that before - I read MAINSTAGE crash log and traced the missing files, restored MainStage authentication image and now it is operating. (Not sure why files were missing from Library>Frameworks).

As for reload LOGIC program - I initially tried what you suggest - I went to AppStore but could find no way to re-download LOGIC. The download link says it is 'DOWNLOADED".

Have I missed something?

Also, Maxbato - I can't find 'Guitar Amp Designer' in my setup - is that a standard Audio FX in LOGIC?

Never did that before - I read MAINSTAGE crash log and traced the missing files, restored MainStage authentication image and now it is operating. (Not sure why files were missing from Library>Frameworks).

Sounds like some munchkins have been running around in your system causing havoc..! No wonder stuff isn't working properly!

As for reload LOGIC program - I initially tried what you suggest - I went to AppStore but could find no way to re-download LOGIC. The download link says it is 'DOWNLOADED".

Have I missed something?

The app is in your apps folder, so the AppStore assumes (correctly) it's already downloaded.

So delete the app from your applications folder (or temporarily move it to somewhere else, like the desktop), relaunch the AppStore, then redownload it from the AppStore.

Also, Maxbato - I can't find 'Guitar Amp Designer' in my setup - is that a standard Audio FX in LOGIC?

Yes. Amps & Pedals -> Amp Designer

Sounds like some munchkins have been running around in your system causing havoc..!

I had a malware attack mid 2014. Took box to Apple who cleaned it up and reinstalled all prgs. Everything seemed OK until yesterday.

So delete the app from your applications folder

Ok - tried that - removed LOGIC from Apps, App Support, Restart - still shows as 'downloaded' in App store - maybe there is some download mapping I have missed?

Amps & Pedals -> Amp Designer

OK got that. thanks for all the advice. :D

So my original issue remains unresolved :? :

When Bass Amp Designer is selected as an Audio FX insert in mixer - instant Logic quit.

My work around - revert to LOGIC 10.0.7.

So delete the app from your applications folder

Ok - tried that - removed LOGIC from Apps, App Support, Restart - still shows as 'downloaded' in App store - maybe there is some download mapping I have missed?

I tried this with another app (not Logic) from the app store - when I went to the app store, the app showed as "Installed" (and thus no downloads were available).

I quit the app store, deleted the app, emptied the trash, reran the app store, went to the Purchases tab and the app had the "Install" button available, letting me re-download it.

• 5 years later...
This is happening to me in 2020: Catalina 10.15.7, Logic 10.6.0. First noticed it with adding a Bass Amp Designer to a track with Trillian on it; can however also get it to crash by opening up a new project, adding a Sampler, loading the Steinway Grand Piano 2 and adding a Bass Amp Designer -> poof Logic's gone.

A five year old issue raises its head.

Just now I created a new project and added a MIDI piano track and Audio Piano loops track - applied Bass Amp Designer on both - no issue here.

I resolved this a long time ago but am vague about what I did. I think I reinstalled LOGIC components from Time Machine - from memory i feel the issue was Bass Amp Designer had become corrupted...

This is happening to me in 2020: Catalina 10.15.7, Logic 10.6.0. First noticed it with adding a Bass Amp Designer to a track with Trillian on it; can however also get it to crash by opening up a new project, adding a Sampler, loading the Steinway Grand Piano 2 and adding a Bass Amp Designer -> poof Logic's gone.

Bass Amp Designer is crashing for me as well, Logic Pro 10.6 on Catalina 10.15.7. It loads up and works until I try switching to a different Amp, cabinet, or model but as soon as a note is played Logic crashes.

Not certain what I did to troubleshoot this and fix the problem.

From vague memory (five years ago), I restored a clean install of the Bass Amp Designer folder to the Logic Program Contents folder.

I restored a Time Machine version and it worked after that.

Here's the location and contents of my Bass Amp Designer folder:

pathway.png.b1dc0a381eb2dc1286c7d815c2d5eff6.png

797072601_Folderlist.thumb.png.aa8e20960ab8124d539c36c99d387f77.png

• 2 weeks later...
I have the same problem. It's a cpu problem with older macs (happens on my mac pro 5,1 but not on my mbp 16"). The only bass designer that works is clean bass -> HiFi DI. 3d party plugins mostly work for bass amps too. I hope Apple solves this in a coming release but I'm not too sure they're that interested in keeping us using old hardware instead of buying new and shiny stuff that will make our wallets cry. Oh the same thing happens on GB. And reinstalling the OS or Logic doesn't work. Tried that too.

I have the same problem. It's a cpu problem with older macs (happens on my mac pro 5,1 but not on my mbp 16"). The only bass designer that works is clean bass -> HiFi DI. 3d party plugins mostly work for bass amps too. I hope Apple solves this in a coming release but I'm not too sure they're that interested in keeping us using old hardware instead of buying new and shiny stuff that will make our wallets cry. Oh the same thing happens on GB. And reinstalling the OS or Logic doesn't work. Tried that too.

I have a copy of Logic 10.5.1 I've been keeping on my computer from a Time Machine Backup. I've been using this to open sessions that have Bass Amp Designer in them. Wondering what change was made between 10.5.1 and 10.6 to cause this issue? Just got the 10.6.1 update as well and the issue is still present. Hope someone can find a fix even if Apple doesn't provide one.

• 2 months later...