Exported files not following project tempo [SOLVED]

andyr

I exported a bunch of audio files and sent them to my mixing engineer, and they play at the wrong tempo for him. At first I thought it was something having to do with varispeed, because after recording some MIDI parts and the first couple of audio files, I sped the song up, and I've recorded a ton of tracks - MIDI and audio - since then, with varispeed on. But now I think I may have figured out what's going since I came across this statement in the help files:

"Bounce files can only follow the Project Tempo if 'Add resulting files to Project Audio Browser' is selected in the Bounce dialog when the file is bounced or exported"

Normally this is something I would do. For some reason, I didn't do it this time.

It's probably a simple matter to correct, right? I'm thinking I'll just re-export the files with the box next to the statement above checked. Or is there more to it than that?

I guess the reason you wouldn't want to include tempo information in an audio file is it might make it more difficult for someone else working with your files to manipulate it?

Thanks,

Andy

I've done some more experimenting. I'm a little confused by the results, so I think it might be better just to ask a single succinct question than for me to add a bunch of information.

My question is:

What is the best way to export audio tracks that were created with varispeed on, and have the exported files play at the sped-up tempo, rather than at the original project tempo?

Thanks. I appreciate your help.

Andy

OK, with over 66 views and no comments except my own confused ramblings I'm guessing that what I'm trying to do is impossible. I've been reading about varispeed and I've come to the conclusion that I probably should have used some other option to speed the song up back in the early recording stages, though I'm not sure what option it would be, since there was both MIDI information and audio tracks done when I decided to speed it up. Probably should have just re-recorded the damn audio at the new tempo.

It's odd to me, because I can bounce the whole project to a file that plays at the correct speed. I just can't export individual files that play at the correct speed. Maybe ProTools has varispeed and I can give my mixing engineer the tempo? Or maybe I should just export the whole project to him and see what he can do with it.

Hey Eric, the first thing you suggest is what I've done with every song I've sent him, around 10 in all. We've never had a problem until I tried it with this song, which makes me think the Varispeed is the culprit (or that there is something wacky on his end). I've never done what you're suggesting in the second part, but I will definitely give it a try tomorrow night. Thank you so much.

BTW, I really appreciate you and the others here, btw. I was pretty cranky last time I posted but know that I meant no disrespect. You are awesome people to provide the assistance guys like me need!

Andy

Woah, dude, I think my problem may be solved!! I made a copy of the project, turned off Varispeed, set a tempo change a split second after the start point, and voila! Everything plays the way it should. The tracks were all bounced in place before I did the things mentioned above, so each one is a single long region, which I believe means there is no need to flex anything, correct? Or am I missing a final vital step?

Such a simple solution. At least my ignorance forced me to learn something about

both Varispeed and the Tempo Change features. I will use Tempo Change next time I want to mess with a song's tempo and save Varispeed for special effects. Duh.

Provided there are no other steps to follow, I'm going to export the files like I would usually, and send them off to my mixing guy. Hopefully everything will go correctly on his end. It usually does.

Eric, I swear to God, if you are ever anywhere even close to San Diego, California I will drop whatever I'm doing and drive to wherever you are just to buy you a pint, or several!

Thanks again,

Andy

Ah, crud. I'll still buy you those beers, but maybe I spoke too soon. When I opened the project tonight I realized that the tempo was a) shown in orange, and b) showed as 87, the original tempo. So I knew that Varispeed was still on. I turned it off, and the song still plays slow, even with the tempo change. Here's a screen shot so you can look at what I'm seeing when I turn Varispeed off. I don't understand where the new number (121.987) came from. I am trying to get the song to play at 103.0200 - at least that's the tempo that has always shown in the Varispeed indicator window.

Have I done something wrong in the way I entered the tempo change?

130717622_ScreenShot2015-04-02at7_14_49PM.png.d558242ab079771db16ccbb5aa76e777.png

• 6 years later...