Logic's new compressor bug side chain distortion

Antiphones

I was trying out Logic's new compressors. I was actually pretty impressed with the sound of them. However, when I tried to side chain a compressor on a bass track to the kick drum I got a lot distortion. Happens no matter which Logic compressor model I choose or how I set the attack and release. As soon as I disable the side chain input, it sounds fine. If I load a different compressor onto the bass track (like a waves Ren) and add the same side chain it sounds completely clean.

Anyone else get this or have any idea what could be causing it? Seems like a bug to me as I can't see what could cause distortion only when side chain is engaged.

Thanks.

I'm not experiencing this bug here. Note that Logic X's compressor is not new, only the GUI is new.

Thanks for the reply.

To be honest I never really used Logic's compressor until the latest upgrade, but I don't remember it having all the differently modelled emulations, focusrite, dbx, 1176 etc... did the previous version have all that?

If you want to upload your project file here, one of us may have a chance to look at it?

Thanks for the offer I don't want to waste your time on this. I'm fine with using my usual waves and slate digital compressors, I was just curious about Logic's updated compressors. Apart from the side chain thing, I actually thought some of the logic modelled compressors sounded surprisingly good.

Edited by Antiphones

I'm having this same problem with the new look Logic compressor, although, as David says, it's actually the same compressor, but it doesn' seem to react well to sidechaining anymore - platinum mode was always pretty tranparent / clean, even in this context (I mainly use it to duck bass with the kick) however now it introduces distortion and is not as snappy?

Just loaded up an existing project (LPX 10.1.1 on Mavericks 10.9.5), stuck a Logic Compressor on the master bus, sent the kick to the sidechain and used it to trigger the mix compression, from varying degrees from subtle to outrageous pumping ("fashion") with a bunch of different settings and compression types.

It all worked as I expected and sounded fine.

Can you be specific with your exact settings you're using, and/or upload a sample project that demonstrates the issue we can take a look at.

Just loaded up an existing project (LPX 10.1.1 on Mavericks 10.9.5), stuck a Logic Compressor on the master bus, sent the kick to the sidechain and used it to trigger the mix compression, from varying degrees from subtle to outrageous pumping ("fashion") with a bunch of different settings and compression types.

It all worked as I expected and sounded fine.

Can you be specific with your exact settings you're using, and/or upload a sample project that demonstrates the issue we can take a look at.

Thanks for trying this out. The project is too large to upload. I will try and upload a bounce so you can hear it though. It happens with pretty much any setting, though the more extreme the compression the more extreme the distortion. The kick drum which is feeding the side chain does have deliberate distortion in the sample itself, but this shouldn't cause distortion in the compressor. If I put any 3rd party compressor in place of the logic one, any of the Waves, SlateDigtial McDSP all of them work fine, its just he Logic compressor where I get this problem.