Match EQ - Sidechain doesn't hear track it's assigned to

Soundhound

I'm trying to learn the trick using Match EQ to give two tracks some space from each other using the sedition. I set up the Match EQ on the track that I want to affect, and assigned the Side Chain in the upper right hand corner to the Track number of the track I want to get the EQ profile of, then hit the learn button under the word Template. But the audio doesn't seem to route to Match EQ, it doesn't hear anything. I tried using a bus from the source track to the track with the Match EQ on it, but that didn't work either.

Both of these tracks are midi tracks, is that the problem? Doesn't seem like it would be, there is still audio coming out of the track.

Thanks!

It's been a while since I've used the MatchEQ; however, I don't believe that you can feed the MatchEQ signal in "real time". I believe that you must either process the plugin via a pass-through of a section of audio, then use the "match" function - or the other way is to generate a waveform profile from an existing file.

This shows someone using it in realtime, I think? They are audio clips he's using, but should work with a midi track as well?

" rel="external nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

And here's an article describing the process I'm trying to use:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct11/articles/logic-1011.htm

And here's an older thread suggesting the same process:

viewtopic.php?t=36790

It's been a while since I've used the MatchEQ; however, I don't believe that you can feed the MatchEQ signal in "real time". I believe that you must either process the plugin via a pass-through of a section of audio, then use the "match" function - or the other way is to generate a waveform profile from an existing file.

I think there's a bit of dual confusion going on here. Match EQ must first learn the footprint(s), but once it has done this, it of course workse in realtime (as "just" an EQ). But it cannot update the footprint curve(s) in realtime. This is how it works as shown in the video and in the SOS article. So to summarize: getting the curves from both tracks is non-realtime, using (and manipulating) the resulting EQ curves is realtime.

Anyhow, the real issue appears to be that the sidechain doesn't seem to pick up any signal, right? Can you show us a screenshot of both your mixer and the Match EQ?

you'll have to route the midi track you're wanting the match eq to "learn" from to a bus. so set the output for that midi track say bus 10. now insert the match eq on the track you want to match. select bus 10 as the sidechain. hit the "learn" button under template and let the song play for a while. it'll then learn the eq of that track over time. then you just hit match and mess with the amount.

Here are some screen shots. Yes I understood that the Match EQ takes a snapshot of the first channel, which you can then use on the second. I realize that I can put Match EQ on the first channel and then move it to the target channel. Trying that now. But the sidechain should work right? Weird. I did a simplified example, just two tracks...(just saw that the last two pics don't show the sedition, but it's set to bus 1, i swear!)

First shot is Match EQ on Channel 1, reads the input fine.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e54/Soundhound/EQ%20Match%20on%20Chennel%201_zpsiowjyd9s.jpg

Now Match EQ on channel 2, send to bus 1, Match EQ reading Bus 1. Nada

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e54/Soundhound/EQ%20Match%20on%20Ch2%20routed%20through%20Bus%201_zpsqejd9nad.jpg

And channel one output to bus 1, still nothing in Match EQ...

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e54/Soundhound/Bus%201%20as%20send_zpsoxtbzoqg.jpg

Why are you moving it? The whole idea of a sidechain is that you don't have to do that. Also, the sidechain is sett to off in the first pic and not visible in the second and third, so I still don't quite get what you're doing.

This is the basic setup for using a sidechained Match EQ:

9302437_pic2015-05-03at22_29_39.PNG.cb266646af39b8e7b4ad15d8c731a498.PNG

I'll test both of these things later, thank you guys! ErikS, in the first pic the Master EQ is on the first channel, just to test that it is working. In the next two pics the pictures just didn't post fully, both have the sidechain set to the right bus. EricC I'm not sure that I was doing that will test tonight! I didn't have a dummy intrrument in this test, but had tried it before on a couple of projects in which the target channel had an instrument. Not sure the channel was chosen however, will test.