Help-Creative Ideas for Track List Display?

paulmatthewscello

Hello,

I was wondering if somebody from the forum could solve this conundrum i've been thinking about...

I have a logic x template with over 400 tracks-its an Orchestral-based template for film scoring running VE Pro and I'm loving the power but not the scrolling. I have 2 monitors and I was looking to keep the 1st for the Main Logic display. However, for the second display, I was hoping to use the space to display columns of track names so when I click on one of them, the corresponding track on the main Logic window is activated.

A very basic way I've come up with is to load up the main logic window on monitor 1 and on monitor 2, load up a second full logic window, then manually drag the right hand side over to the left as far as it will go and not display the library or information displays on the left hand side. This gives me when minimised, the ability to display over 75 tracks vertically. However, it also has to show the arrange window and I can't just have the track list by itself.

So the question...Does anyone know of a method/environment/template that will allow me to do this? I've uploaded a picture of the basic mockup design of what I'm looking for the 2nd monitor to be able to show. The problem with it is that when I click it, it also shows the arrange page for that window and it visually moves on top of the other instrument list. Also, when one instrument is selected, the other sections move to that instrument which is not what i'm looking for.

Any suggestions with creative mixer or environment display workarounds would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am using folder stacks as well and this makes working on one screen a little less tedious with over 400 tracks but I have a second monitor and would be nice to use it for this to speed up my workflow.

Many thanks,

Paul

1561547318_ScreenShot2015-05-08at01_42_58.thumb.png.74e8466cd9b944c92355713eb5d8edd5.png

Attempt to display something like what I'm looking for

I think at one point we've all tried to split Main into two windows for exactly the reasons you describe, and it hasn't worked... for exactly the reasons you describe.

Mechanically, I guess you could get a big honking monitor and put it in portrait mode, which would be taller.

But a deeper issue is at hand. There is some kind of rite of passage that goes on in this field where we have that 250+ track template -- a product of deep personal absorption, often ended only after loved ones send in a rescue unit with counseling -- and thereafter we find in real world composing that our sprawl of tracks just does not work. Users have discovered this at 200 tracks. You're talking 400 tracks.

The irrefutable ski touches on this in his Orchestral Template tutorial over at MacProVideos, which you might consider. But ski will only tell you of options and work-rounds, and I have the feeling you are aware of these already.

Folders, Hide Tracks, Track stacks, Page Down / Up and the like. Sadly, the answers are here. The more you resist these, the more you'll find yourself re-inventing the wheel.

More importantly, you need keyswitches which will allow one track to access numerous sounds. Yeah, that's its own template water hazard -- even more complex that your track strategy. But it's feasible in the end, whereas 400 tracks will never be, in my opinion, the best solution. A lot of fun to look at, I concede.

I personally reverted to the other end of the spectrum. I have a very deep matrix of keyswitching that allows nearly a one track per instrument template, resulting in an orchestra of fewer than twenty-five tracks. I, like you, *hate* scrolling, and I equally loathe those tiny strips of track needed for the full compression of a triple-digit track count on one monitor. So perhaps I have created my own extreme, whereby I can with one track immediately access a solo trumpet, muted solo, ensemble, muted ensemble, and Dimension 1/ 2+2/ 3+1/all 4, and every articulation in any of them. Yeah, that's my overkill.

But my keyswitching was driven by a greater issue: Logic does not allow one staff in Score to display more than one track. I like seeing coherent scores as I work. The more tracks are parsed to articulations, the more piecemeal the Score window (though the regions can be merged, I know).

Didn't mean to drone on. I hope something here helps.