Is it possible to tell Logic to "auto-quick-fade edges"?

Zirus

Ive been hunting around and i can't see anything on this so im assuming not but i thought id ask anyway.

Is there a way to tell logic to auto-quick-fade the edged of samples/newly created/cut ones etc to prevent clicks the same way logic does?

Its annoying having to manually fade every newly cut region and using "snap to zero point" means then cutting and then having to stretch/shrink the region to fit to the time you were trying to cut too which is also an annoying thing to have to do :-/

So, hoping theres a way to tell logic to auto quick-fade edges so i don't have to do either of the above workarounds :-)

Ah shame, seems silly it doesn't have it. The Batch apply using the Region inspected is probably the quickest way then unless there's a key command where I can highlight all the regions and hit the key and it will add fades at the start and nods based on a predefined setting I have set somewhere?

• 10 months later...
Is there still no key command for this? This would be a great feature for Logic, seems like it would be pretty easy to implement? Works great in pro tools and saves a ton of time just highlighting the regions and clicking one button rather than having to open the inspector and drag the numbers up every time.

Wouldn't it be great if Logic would see an edge and fade it in or out and see a crossover of audio and crossfade it! That would be wonderful... Selecting the entire track and applying global fades invites some rather poorly designed behaviour in Logic - it can deal with fade ins and outs, but not a combination of in, out and crossfade.

• 4 years later...
it can deal with fade ins and outs, but not a combination of in, out and crossfade.

I know this is years old, but to set the record straight, Logic can (and always could) deal with a combination of fade in, fade out and crossfades across a multiple selection.

Also since this thread was started, there are new key commands to apply and remove fades in Logic Pro X:

• Apply Default Crossfade

• Apply Last Edited Fade Again

• Remove Fades

it can deal with fade ins and outs, but not a combination of in, out and crossfade.

I know this is years old, but to set the record straight, Logic can (and always could) deal with a combination of fade in, fade out and crossfades across a multiple selection.

Hi David. Perhaps you can explain the process to me. If I have, for instance, a super-complex vocal edit with many regions, some crossing, others cut in multiple places. How could I batch apply fade-ins and fade-outs to the entire selection whilst retaining existing cross-fades or creating new ones where relevant?

I currently select each region that requires both a fade in and out and create both fades in the region parameter box. I then select all the regions that require just a fade in, as the end of the region joins a cross-fade. I then select every region that requires just a few our add the start of the region comes from a cross-fade. I've got pretty good at streamlining the selection process, but it's still pretty boring!

Hi David. Perhaps you can explain the process to me. If I have, for instance, a super-complex vocal edit with many regions, some crossing, others cut in multiple places. How could I batch apply fade-ins and fade-outs to the entire selection whilst retaining existing cross-fades or creating new ones where relevant?

You can't. You have to select only the regions you want to batch fade and apply one setting for all of them.

If you apply batch cross fades then Logic automatically applies a fade out where there's no following region to cross fade into.

I can't think of a situation where you wouldn't want a faded edge

I can think of many! Any region that starts with a strong transient: drum hit, guitar strum, bass with a click attack, vocal with a plosive, any region junction where you want an abrupt change, any region end that you want to end abruptly and not faded out, etc etc....

Have you heard of BT (Brian Transeau)? He's an example of a producer who spends a great deal of time making sure his kick drum attacks start very abruptly and not on a zero crossing.

I use fades only where I need them, not as a systematic rule.

95% of the time, I need fades.

I'm afraid it's probably not a common enough workflow for it to warrant an automatic feature for it, but you can always ask Apple directly for it: https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

Meanwhile there's the X-Fade drag mode that, while not exactly what you want, you may find useful? https://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/10.4.7/#/lgcpf7c0a2ec

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Also since this thread was started, there are new key commands to apply and remove fades in Logic Pro X:

• Remove Fades

Hey Dave where can these features be found that you mentioned here? This is what I been looking for...

there are new key commands to apply and remove fades in Logic Pro X:

• Remove Fades

Hey Dave where can these features be found that you mentioned here? This is what I been looking for...

Choose Logic Pro > Key Commands > Edit (or press Option-K) then search for fade and look in the Main Window Tracks category:

379969285_fadekeycommands.png.0f4e5f89770a6e40e0171411b2c30682.png