Record function does not initiate playback [SOLVED]

JPool10

An issue I have been having lately is that when I press record, rather than instantly starting playback (like it used to), I have to press play myself in order to initiate the recording process. If I hit record while it is already playing, it works fine. I have tried messing with the record controls as well as searching through the preferences for any options I may have clicked wrong, but nothing has worked, or there is an option I am just not seeing. This doesn't work with the record key command either ®. I am unsure how to proceed, it is getting rather bothersome at this point and I would really like to fix this.

This happens consistently on all projects now. I had an issue a few weeks ago where I accidentally switched on the punch in/out loop without being aware of it. It was snugged way back behind the project start where I couldn't quite see it, and I was really confused as I had never had the need to use the punch recording feature and therefore had never seen it. I was trying all sorts of things to fix it until I realized the solution, and ever since then it has been having this record/playback issue. I am going to look over my hot keys and see if there is anything weird there, cause I've pretty much checked everything else.

Unfortunately, it makes no difference whether it is an audio track or software instrument, the problem occurs in either case.

It is possible to record after playback has already started, no problem. The "R" key is mapped under "record toggle" currently, but I messed with mapping it to all the other options having to do with record, with some rather erratic results. I'll describe briefly what happens when I assign the "R" key to all the different options under the record umbrella of hotkeys.

Record Toggle -- This is the key it's been on

Record -- Similar results, though as expected once I press "R", I can't press it again to stop recording

Record/Record Repeat - same issue, if I hit "R" once it lights up red, if I hit it twice, it will start playback, and any consecutive pressings will cause it to restart the recording from the original position the playhead was on when I pressed "R" the first time. I am not sure if this record mode is meant to ignore locators, but it does in my case

Record Repeat -- Similar, but worse. This mode will delete any regions that are selected, as well as ignoring locators, and, strangely, the playhead position upon first pressing "R" will ALWAYS be returned to after hitting play. So it ALWAYS returns to the same spot as the first time record was hit, no matter where the playhead is. Odd.

Record/Record Toggle -- Same results as record toggle

Hopefully there is some information that can be extrapolated from this.

I just did this, and it would appear that there is no connection between the key commands and the malfunctioning of the record button. I think there must be another angle here. Something wrong with a file somewhere possibly, or perhaps simply a computer issue. I am nearing 80% used space on my hard drive, perhaps that is causing issues? I can't think of anything else. I am sure doing a fresh install of Logic would fix the issue, but I would rather save that as a last resort.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey sorry, it's been a while. I have found this to actually be a problem with my hard drive, and nothing to do with Logic to my knowledge. My hard drive had only about 60Gb left, however it needs around 75Gb to perform its normal functions. I recently switched to a solid state drive and moved about 100Gb of samples from Logic and my Native Instruments libraries onto an external and the record has been working just fine ever since. Thanks everyone for trying your best, it seems as though this was more of a hardware issue after all.

• 5 years later...
  • 11 months later...