Absolute and Relative Volume Automation Issue

workman

I set the Absolute Volume to -6dB. I then added a layer of Relative Automation. Now I am unable to reset the Absolute Volume to Unity (or adjust it at all.) I've tried drawing in all modes (Read, Write, etc) and it always snaps back to -6dB.

What am I doing wrong or is this a bug?

Thanks.

Posting a screenshot of the automation would help. Are you saying you've entered some automation data and now want to raise the data of all automation up to 0?

I'm not sure how used to logic you are, but at the risk of being patronising, in the attached picture you would drag/add/delete automation in the automation lane (the yellow line), or click & drag on the highlighted value to raise or lower all automation by a relative amount.

automation.jpg.4f410bc7e0abbd171b1e03f0ca6346df.jpg

Posting a screenshot of the automation would help. Are you saying you've entered some automation data and now want to raise the data of all automation up to 0?

I'm not sure how used to logic you are, but at the risk of being patronising, in the attached picture you would drag/add/delete automation in the automation lane (the yellow line), or click & drag on the highlighted value to raise or lower all automation by a relative amount.

Restarting Logic solved the problem. I know you're not being patronising, just trying to help. I'm a long-time Logic user and very familiar with automation, but having just switched to Logic X this is not an issue I've come across before as previous versions didn't have separate Absolute/Relative Automation lanes. FYI here's a screenshot, and the problem I was having was whenever I raised the automation in the second (Absolute) Lane, it would snap back to the previous setting. But all sorted out now. Thanks.

780866508_ScreenShot2015-07-23at09_42_21.thumb.png.deb592956ed92743758fc33f7e74ed4f.png

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having this same problem, and restarting hasn't helped.

Since using Relative Volume Automation on a track, the volume fader is stuck at -6dB and I cannot move it. The relative automation still works - it is just starting from the wrong place.

The only solution I've found is to write in some absolute automation. The fader always starts at -6dB and then jumps to the right level as soon as the it passes an absolute automation node.

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem, and restarting does not help.

This bug is extremely frustrating as it renders the gains in workflow from relative automation useless. 

If anybody has a solution to this i will be forever grateful!

setup:

Logic Pro 10.3.1

macOS Sierra10.12.3

imac 27 inch mid 2011

3,4 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 16 GB

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I have the same issue. Relative volume is useless when it seems to block absolute volume. If I recall correctly writing relative volume adds a point under absolute volume and one that u can't delete.

The "trim" box is valid approach but you should be able to work volume with the fader, it's just the logical way to do it.

Hmm, I have no problem trimming or resetting the absolute volume automation when there's relative volume automation present here... try it in a new empty project?

Can you move the volume fader?. Not trim, the actual volume fader of the channel.

I'll try to post a screenshot later.

The way it should be (and isn't as far as I can tell) :

- You write relative volume automation for a track. Say +2db on chorus then back to 0db

- No matter what you do with the track volume fader the chorus will sound 2db louder. You should be able to ride the channel fader.

I have this problem. Was just about to post a new question and came across this thread.

I have some relative volume automation on a track.

I go absolute volume automation and delete visible automation just to be sure. There is definitely no absolute volume automation present on the track.

But, when I exit automation, and try to use the fader to adjust the level, I can't do it. I mean, I can move the fader OK, but as soon as I press play the fader jumps (in a place where there are no relative volume automation points recorded). Basically I'm unable to adjust absolute volume on the track.

This seems like a bug to me. If I delete all automation from the track and draw in the relative vol automation again then everything works fine again. Seems like something got stuck. Dammit, I have to re-draw a load of stuff now!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I think the relative volume automation wasn't designed to work with the track volume fader. The only way I've gotten it to work is to set an absolute volume automation level, even if that level is constant throughout the track.

That might seem annoying at first, but if you're already adjusting the volume with relative automation, maybe leaning on the absolute volume automation to adjust the track level isn't that bad. This might be "working as intended", as far as Apple believes.

That's right, the only way it works is if you first add some standard volume automation, even if that's just one node at the start of the project so that the yellow line for the standard volume automation is there (this way you can still control the volume with the fader).

Where apple have messed up is that if no volume automation exists and you add a relative volume automation node, then the volume defaults to -6dB. The desired behaviour is clearly for the volume fader to maintain it's existing level - so when you add a relative volume node the standard volume automation line should be drawn in at the current level automatically, but it is not it's gets arbitrarily set to -6dB which leads to a great deal of confusion, not to mention totally messing up your mix!