Unexplained software instrument track behavior

uncleozzy

Hi all,

I know I have a bad mod wheel on my MIDI controller--it sends random messages sometimes--but I've got some strange behavior that I'm not sure is explained by that. There are two problems, which may or may not be related:

1. Sometimes, EXS24 tracks switch to the next patch in the list (I had a tubular bells track yesterday that spontaneously switched to xylophone, for example). I can't seem to find any pattern for this, but I'm willing to experiment if anybody has any suggestions.

2. Sometimes, software instrument tracks become transposed up a semi-tone. The transpose settings on the track, on MIDI Thru, and on the region are unaffected. I can "fix" this by either removing and re-inserting the instrument or by duplicating the track. This has happened both with Logic's instruments and with third-party instruments (XLN Addictive Keys, Martinic Combo Model F). Again, I don't see any pattern of when this does or doesn't happen.

I'm sort of baffled, because as far as I know the only bad signals coming in are CC1, which shouldn't cause either of these problems. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping there's just some stupid key command I'm hitting accidentally or some rogue CC that would explain this, because otherwise I'm stumped.

Thanks!

Hi

1. Sometimes, EXS24 tracks switch to the next patch in the list (I had a tubular bells track yesterday that spontaneously switched to xylophone, for example). I can't seem to find any pattern for this, but I'm willing to experiment if anybody has any suggestions.

Thanks!

Perhaps you have the EXS24 preferences set to use MIDI CC to "Previous/Next Instrument"?

2080576210_EXSPrefs.jpg.fb8bbf37f434e9bb9e132ffc7e3cd47f.jpg

Ref Q2 Perhaps your keyboard controller is sending out Pitch Bend messages randomly?

CCT

Ah, good thought, but no, those options are set to the default (no control).

And, unfortunately, none of the instruments that have had the transpostion problem respond to pitch bend.

I'm really stumped on these. I wish I had some reliable way to reproduce them, but it really does seem sort of random.

I've had similar issues caused by a bit of some sort of corruption by a pitch wheel event which somehow altered the track pitch after it should have gone back to neutral position. Check to see if you have any events by the wheel and try to eliminate that. It may not be related in your case, but I have seen this effect a couple times.