Tooltip information in Full Score Display [SOLVED]

Rainbow Warrior

I'm reworking an old file - a concerto. I only just started a few days ago but I'm running into massive problems. I also upgraded to Logic x v2 a few days ago. At first I thought the problems might be because of corruption in my old file (created years ago), but I created some new projects from scratch to test the problem and it's just the same.

What it is - in the notation editor everything is fine if I only display one instrument - but if I display a group, such as the string section, or the full score, I am getting some really weird information displayed on the tool tip when I select a note. Sometimes the information is accurate, it displays the position and the pitch and I also hear the note played on the appropriate instrument. But more often than not the tooltip displays information which is incorrect, incomplete and quite often gibberish. I also hear a totally different note played on a different instrument. Sometimes the tooltip displays an incorrect position for the note (often positions like -2549346 -4 -6 -1, or quite frequently -9 -1 -1 -1). Often it does not display the pitch of the note. Sometimes, instead of a pitch it says 'track 0'. Not only that, but I am also unable to change the position of the note or it's pitch, unless I double click the stave and work in single stave mode.

My first thoughts were a corrupted file, so I started a new project and imported all the data. This didn't work. So I tried creating several new projects with just a few tracks. Same thing. So I began to suspect the newly installed update Logic x v2 might work better with Yosemite - so I installed it. No change. So then I deleted the preferences and downloaded Logic 10.2 again. No change. So I went back in the Time Machine and restored 10.1 from a week or so back. No change.

I can't think of anything else to try. Like I say, I don't usually used the score editor, I only started to revise this work a week ago.

My question are, has anyone who works in full score encountered this before, and if so, did they find a solution? Can anyone think of anything I could try?

Attached is a screenshot of a note in bar 14, but the tooltip says it's at bar 279611 2 1 64. This is from one of the newly created projects that I created to test the problem.

position.jpg.790246660fc77cccb2676556efd0fc01.jpg

a note in bar 14, but the tooltip says it's at bar 279611 2 1 64

I noticed in the brand new project that quite often (but by no means always) the tool tip would display the position of the first event in the last track, the basses. This is not consistent behaviour. I can't reproduce anything in a consistent way.

When I closed the project I didn't save it - but I may have another one - give me a few minutes to find it.

If I try to change the pitch of the note the tool tip doesn't display a pitch - it displays + 5 or - 10, but doesn't change the pitch. A bit like the layout tool I think - I'm not sure it's years since I worked in score.

I just tried moving a note downwards by - 100. it moved it down a fourth.

Here is a recording of the file I'm revising. As you can imagine - spending an hour hour trying to figure out out to change the pitch of one note is not an option. The original score was prepared in C-Lab Notator, which evolved into E-Magic Logic. It was quite laborious, working on an Atari 1040, but it was at least predictable. Hope you like it.

I moved all my projects out of the Google Drive folder and into the default "Music" folder in my user account - but it's no different.

Click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic Pro X 10.2)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS X Yosemite 10.10.5)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2.2 GHz Intel i7)

• Memory (e.g. 8GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. RME Babyface Pro)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

When I click the selected note in bar 32, it says it's at bar -9 1 1 1

I can not confirm this behaviour on my system.

I'll take a listen to your work tomorrow with fresh ears. I have to get some beauty sleep after a long session. :)

Thanks Eric - so if you can't reproduce the behaviour it would suggest that the problem is not in the Logic project, but is a fault somewhere else in the system. I have disabled the audio interface, but the problem persists. I trashed the preferences, opened Logic, enabled advanced tools and created 5 tracks, each with a region, but without a plug-in. I noticed that nearly always whatever note I select, the tooltip displays the information for the first note in last track in the score. If I rearrange the tracks in the main pane then the tooltip information changes to reflect the information of the first note for the track which is now at the bottom.

I added a new track at the bottom, with an empty region. Now the behaviour is really weird, with very large bar numbers (279611 2 1 64) sometimes indicated as a negative number. If I hold the note for a few seconds the display sometimes changes to something more believable - such as -3 1 1 1, but still incorrect. A lot of the notes on the different staves have the same position information (279611 2 1 64) but some do not.

I have just solved it! A few weeks ago I installed an app called Moom - which is a great little app for automatically resizing windows - I do recommend it. But, I have closed it down and now everything is working as expected. Thanks for your help!

Also check out this:

Have a great day!

I've been in contact with the Moom team - they say Moom couldn't do this and that it must be interacting with another application. In any event, they were very helpful and we have now found a solution so that I can still use Moon , and the score editor works properly.

Thanks for your help. I'll have a look at Better Snap Tool now.