Audio Track silent when Varispeed Engaged

chrisodd
Go to solution Solved by andypitz,

Hi All,

I'm having trouble with Varispeed and audio tracks. I've noticed that in some projects I cannot hear an audio track if

a) Varispeed is on

and

b) The setting is anything but 0.00%

To recreate the problem I've:

1) Opened a new project

2) Dragged a track out of iTunes into Logic as an AUDIO track

3) It converts the track to AIF, and the track plays just fine.

4) If I try to slow it down using Varispeed, the track appears to be playing but there is no sound.

5) If I set Varispeed back to 0.00%, I can hear it again.

Anyone know what's going on?

• 3 weeks later...

Varispeed is set to Speed Only.

No, I didn't bother with Flextime because I solved it: turns out it's related to having "Input Monitoring" for that track.

If Input Monitoring is selected and Varispeed is +/- 0.00%, you can hear the track fine.

If Input Monitoring is selected and Varispeed is anything but +/- 0.00%, the track is silent.

If you have Varispeed set to anything but +/- 0.00% and deselect the Input Monitoring WHILE PLAYING, track continues to be silent.

- but if you pause and unpause, you can hear it, playing with the speed changed to the varispeed setting.

Bottom line is that it appears to be a bug but there's an easy workaround

Woops!

Spoke too fast!

I did not get problem with the loaded iTune file playing with various VariSpeed settings or Flextime, but after experimenting with Varispeed and Flextime, when I tried to use any further virtual instrument plugin tracks (Alchemy, ES2, EFM1, etc...) all the tracks remained mute; regardless of the presence of Varispeed or Flextime (both been turned off and/or removed from the LCD). MIDI activity readout in the LCD was reporting the incoming played keys, the VU meters were also displaying signal, but no sound could be heard.

Pressing the Mute / Solo / Record / On-Off butttons on the track or channelstrip was of no help to get back sound from that project. Even closing the project and loading it back or creating a new one was not helping either!! Strange thing though, is that loading an old project would make things work normally (project playback and VI synths sounds) but not otherwise!?!

Everything finally seemed coming back to normal after quitting and rebooting Logic.

I filed a bug report...

• 5 years later...
  • 3 months later...
Hi guys, I'm having the same issue. Tried changing the output device to built in, and then back to my interface to no avail. Also did it with quiting out of logic, but still didn't work. No matter what I try it's silent whenever I change from zero % on speed only... Any other ideas?