exs24 velocity and decay [SOLVED]

skltr2182

oh i figured it out. you also have to turn the decay on envelope 2 all the way down.

To get started, yes.

Then you can adjust the Decay slider to the Decay you want with the lowest velocity, which is not necessarily all the way down. And the slider to the right of the modulation cell determines how much longer the Decay will be with the highest velocity.

• 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Thanks! I get some subtle changes with the setting used in your project. But I want more! I want to go from minimum to maximum decay. And the setting for this should be like in the file attached.

Nothing happens with the decay. Compare this by adjusting the decay by hand while playing the loop (first bypass Destination). That's how it should sound!

Velocity-to-DecayMaximum.logicx.zip

Thanks! I get some subtle changes with the setting used in your project. But I want more! I want to go from minimum to maximum decay.

How's that? Just press play to hear the difference between alternating notes of 127 and 1 velocities.

Velocity-to-Decay-Extreme.logicx.zip

As for your example, you're using an instrument that has velocity layers. That means that as you're playing notes with different velocities you're hearing different samples. So it's normal that you're not getting the same effect as when dragging the decay slider in which case only the decay changes, not the samples played. On top of that the lowest velocity you're using is 32, which is already 1/4 of the range. Set a velocity of 1 and you'll hear the minimum decay value.

If you're looking to offset the effect of the decay modulation you can do that, for example to hear even shorter decays with a velocity that's not as low as 1, for example 32. Let me know if that's what you're looking for.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for your patience David!

I know instrument got velocity layers. I just picked one instrument from the factory library as an example. And you are right it could be confusing!

So I'm back with a new example without distractions! I have the same setting in Alchemy and EXS24 for comparison. Alchemy behave just as it should while EXS24 almost immediately rises to maximum decay.

Decay Comparison.zip

You have the depth range set all the way up to +10000ms, I've lowered it to match the behavior of Alchemy. Keep in mind there's no "right" or "wrong" way here, all synths are programmed differently, and here EXS24 offers a great depth range for that parameter, feel free to use a smaller one:

Decay Comparison-adjusted.logicx.zip