creating midi file from Logic's metronome [SOLVED]

guavadude

In Audio MIDI Setup's MIDI window, make sure the IAC driver is online and at least one bus exists.

Open the environment window, go to the Clicks and Ports window and select the Metronome icon. In the Environment's inspector, set the "Port" parameter to an IAC bus.

R-enable a software instrument track and record the metronome.

You can set the midi metronome output port to the IAC bus in the metronome settings page.

No need to open the Environment at all.

When you add a new software instrument, it will keep receiving the metronome output until you go back to the metronome settings and change the midi out port to "off".

Then it looks like it might be a constant offset time-wise (setting aside rounding errors). I think it is linked to relying on the IAC bus.

Instead of the procedure above, do the following:

Open an empty project, create a software instrument track (Drum Kit Designer is a good candidate), go to the Environment, click & ports, and simply draw a cable from the metronome to the sequencer input (nothing else at all). You now can directly record the metronome on the instrument track.

On my setup, there's no offset this way, and midi events are recorded exactly on beats.

Open an empty project, create a software instrument track (Drum Kit Designer is a good candidate), go to the Environment, click & ports, and simply draw a cable from the metronome to the sequencer input (nothing else at all). You now can directly record the metronome on the instrument track.

On my setup, there's no offset this way, and midi events are recorded exactly on beats.

Even better! Thanks for offering a better solution. :D

• 4 years later...
Then it looks like it might be a constant offset time-wise (setting aside rounding errors). I think it is linked to relying on the IAC bus.

Here's the idiot-proof version for those who have never worked in environment before. I like having a separate individually adjustable click track:

1) Make sure tempo is as you wish it to be. Create a MIDI instrument track and choose instrument Utility->Klofgeist. Leave that track selected

2) From the Logic Main window, Open Environment window. WINDOW->OPEN MIDI ENVIRONMENT

2) At Upper Left Corner of Environment window , Pull down menu "Layer" with default value "Mixer" to choice "Clicks and Ports" ( Layer->Clicks and Ports)

3) Click and hold on the little arrow in (MIDI Click icon) and drag to (Sequencer Input) icon there is some confirmation I forgot but I accepted. A line should stay when you release, something like appears below.

4) Close Environment window

5) Make sure the click track you created is in Record mode and start recording. Boxes should appear, sent from the metronome to the track. Those notes comprise your click track.

EnvWind.thumb.png.1978dd687f698ef3312cfcfa642abe22.pngClickSend.png.b27af7bf561d107dcf45c092bb71b32b.png