Analog Retro Synth LFO problem. (Logic Pro X) [SOLVED]

Kadjo

LFO for the Analog mode in the retro synth in my logic only works for square/reverse square waveform. It's not working for the other waveforms.. (Saw Tooth, Triangle & white noise). It doesn't matter how fast or slow the LFO rate is. It doesn't matter how much intensity is applied to the shape modulation knob. Whether the LFO is synced or not it still doesn't work. Doesn't matter what shape the LFO is either. The mod wheel isn't do anything either. The only time the LFO works for all waveforms is when is the LFO knob paired with the filter. Looking for a solution for this issue. Thank you. Edited by Kadjo

It works fine here.

Click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic Pro X 10.2)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS X Yosemite 10.10.5)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2.2 GHz Intel i7)

• Memory (e.g. 8GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. RME Babyface Pro)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

It works fine here.

Click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic Pro X 10.2)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS X Yosemite 10.10.5)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2.2 GHz Intel i7)

• Memory (e.g. 8GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. RME Babyface Pro)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

I put in the information in my signature. Now how do i solve my problem.

Thanks.

Start from scratch.

Open a new empty template with a Software Instrument track.

Insert a Retro Synth and load the "Big Sweeper" setting. (Synth Pads > Big Sweeper)

Is it working?

Yeah it's working. The problem is when I go back to factory default setting, it stops working again.

Turn up the LFO Knob in the Filter section.

The LFO starts working when i do this. I stated that at the beginning. When I turn the LFO knob off it stops working. The square/ reverse square waveform is the only shape that works with the LFO with or without this filter knob on. if I tune to any of the other shapes (Saw Tooth, Triangle & white noise) the LFO doesn't work without the filter knob being on. Example: If I tune shape 1 to a saw tooth, turn the oscillator mix up to the strictly oscillator 1 & move the LFO rate nothing happens. Even if the shape modulation is at -1000, I hear nothing. Mod wheel not doing anything either. It Doesn't matter if it's at 8 bars or 1/64. Sync or unsynced. Now, When I turn the knob to a square waveform, i can clearly hear the LFO working,

The square/ reverse square waveform is the only shape that works with the LFO with or without this filter knob on. if I tune to any of the other shapes (Saw Tooth, Triangle & white noise) the LFO doesn't work without the filter knob being on. Example: If I tune shape 1 to a saw tooth, turn the oscillator mix up to the strictly oscillator 1 & move the LFO rate nothing happens. Even if the shape modulation is at -1000, I hear nothing. Mod wheel not doing anything either. It Doesn't matter if it's at 8 bars or 1/64. Sync or unsynced. Now, When I turn the knob to a square waveform, i can clearly hear the LFO working,

What you describe is all expected behavior. Come to think of it everything you describe in your original post is expected behavior too. There's nothing for the LFO to modulate when you're on a Triangle waveform (for example). When you're on a square shape you can see the knob can move smoothly between the different shapes, and all shapes in between, kinda like PWM synthesis. Now there's something to modulate.

The LFO knob in the Filter section controls the amount of LFO -> Filter modulation.

The LFO is just a control signal. You need to have the LFO modulate something in order to hear its effects.

So for Saw, triangle and Noise waveforms, the LFO only works when it's paired to the filter if i am correct?

Yes, but I would word that another way: the LFO always works. It's a control signal. If you route it to a parameter that can be modulated, then (and only then) you'll hear the modulation. You cannot modulate the shape of the Saw, Triangle and Noise waveforms, but you can modulate the shape of the Square waveform. The Filter can also be modulated, completely independent of the oscillators, so you could have Square waveform modulation AND filter modulation at the same time if you wish, or only one of the two.

Ok then. So why can Saw, triangle and Noise waveforms be shaped with the LFO for the sync mode in the retro synth?

They can't. Look closer at the name of the knobs:

In Analog mode you can modulate the Shape of the square waveform from a square to a spike. You're basically modulating the width of the square pulse (hence the synthesis term Pulse Width Modulation). Analog.png.c8d11591ea94bf88e9ba33dc0f9faf97.png

In Sync mode, Osc 1 is the modulator, and it modulates Osc 2, the carrier. You can modulate the Sync between the oscillators, but only when the carrier (Osc 2) is routed to the mix with the Mix slider. If the Mix slider is set to the modulator (Osc 1) only, then there's no sync between oscillators to modulate and you cannot hear the effect of the LFO. Sync.png.32dd6f45bc6e40d07cc625d4f760e7e1.png

So for Saw, triangle and Noise waveforms, the LFO only works when it's paired to the filter if i am correct?

Yes, but I would word that another way: the LFO always works. It's a control signal. If you route it to a parameter that can be modulated, then (and only then) you'll hear the modulation. You cannot modulate the shape of the Saw, Triangle and Noise waveforms, but you can modulate the shape of the Square waveform. The Filter can also be modulated, completely independent of the oscillators, so you could have Square waveform modulation AND filter modulation at the same time if you wish, or only one of the two.

Ok then. So why can Saw, triangle and Noise waveforms be shaped with the LFO for the sync mode in the retro synth?

They can't. Look closer at the name of the knobs:

In Analog mode you can modulate the Shape of the square waveform from a square to a spike. You're basically modulating the width of the square pulse (hence the synthesis term Pulse Width Modulation). [attachment=1]Analog.png[/attachment]

In Sync mode, Osc 1 is the modulator, and it modulates Osc 2, the carrier. You can modulate the Sync between the oscillators, but only when the carrier (Osc 2) is routed to the mix with the Mix slider. If the Mix slider is set to the modulator (Osc 1) only, then there's no sync between oscillators to modulate and you cannot hear the effect of the LFO. [attachment=0]Sync.png[/attachment]

Great explanation. Thank you for your time. I'll add solved to this topic. Perhaps other people will have this question as well.

• 4 years later...