Split Clip at Playhead not working right

zemelb

When I try to split a clip at the playhead, it does it slightly before the playhead instead, you can see it when you're super zoomed in. It's driving me nuts, I can't figure out why, and its messing with my production workflow. Screenshot attached, any ideas?

481636938_ScreenShot2016-01-06at6_41_49PM.thumb.png.15c457f1e4f4f75258b4ad8d13942619.png

• 6 months later...

so is there no fix to this?  no workaround?  as small as this bug is, i'm a dance music producer and not being able to chop my snares exactly on beat is killing me.  this could be enough of a pain to send me to Ableton.

same Here Zemelb there is not FIX to this Yet.. it is a BUG.. please let apple know about this.. so they can fixed in the Next Update..

http://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

• 2 years later...

Hi there,

Maybe a workaround for you, whcih doesn't have the bug:

Make sure in Preferences > General > Editing > "Marquee Tool click zones" is ticked.

Now, point mouse where you wanna want a Region to be split (make sure mouse is pointed at the lower area of that Region.

Now, double leftmouse click.(you don't need to select the Region first !).

Outcome: The Region will be split without the bug ?

Sidenote: I find this way of Splitting a Region way faster than:

- Having to first hover mouse to Ruler and place Playhead.

- Having to select the "to be split" Region first.

The Split method i describe is Snap dependent.

And with a Snap setting set, like for instance "Bar",

the method has another advantage:

You just place your mouse on a Region, near the Bar Gridline where you wanna have the Split;

You don't have to place mouse exactly on that Bar Gridline.

Now, when you double leftmouse click, the Split will be automatically made exactly on that Bar Gridline.

I hope this helps !

Warm Regards.

I agree. I never fully understood why so many users (typically those coming from Pro Tools) always split their regions by playhead position. To me the playhead dictates where I will start playback or recording / not where I'm performing an edit.

On the other hand I never got used to click zones, I don't like them. So I have the default tool set (left = pointer, command = marquee), and Command-double-click to split.

A slightly different workflow is to Command-click (or simply click if you use Marquee click zones) where you want to split the region, which places a 1 pixel wide marquee selection, then press Delete on your keyboard to split at the marquee selection. Once you have a marquee selection, you can start playback from the marquee selection, for example to make sure you're about to split at the right position. There are many key commands to move that marquee selection, for example to the next transient, so that you can perform multiple region splits without ever leaving your keyboard (no mouse/trackpad actions):

region-split.gif.ae3eee83847088858065f471dc34749c.gif

Hi there,

Maybe a workaround for you, whcih doesn't have the bug:

Make sure in Preferences > General > Editing > "Marquee Tool click zones" is ticked.

Now, point mouse where you wanna want a Region to be split (make sure mouse is pointed at the lower area of that Region.

Now, double leftmouse click.(you don't need to select the Region first !).

Outcome: The Region will be split without the bug ?

The Split method i describe is Snap dependent.

And with a Snap setting set, like for instance "Bar",

the method has another advantage:

You just place your mouse on a Region, near the Bar Gridline where you wanna have the Split;

You don't have to place mouse exactly on that Bar Gridline.

Now, when you double leftmouse click, the Split will be automatically made exactly on that Bar Gridline.

I hope this helps !

Warm Regards.

Hey,

I like using the playhead because I can zoom in specific parts of the audio region better. I like to use beatmapping, I like to chop up and loop samples by how they were recorded to maintain the integrity of the rhytm, so I don’t use the bars as much when sampling. So this bug is destroying my whole work flow hahah. I tried your work around, it didn’t work. It was good to learn though thank you. I’m going to try again tomorrow. Do you think theres another possible way...or perhaps I did it wrong? What do you think? Thanks so much again for your reply and showing me something new I appreciate it a lot.

I like using the playhead because I can zoom in specific parts of the audio region better.

You can do the same with a Marquee selection. Vanhaze's technique works fine, make sure you follow his directions exactly — and read my alternative as well: you don't have to use click zones to use the Marquee tool to split a region.

• 7 months later...

I agree. I never fully understood why so many users (typically those coming from Pro Tools) always split their regions by playhead position. To me the playhead dictates where I will start playback or recording / not where I'm performing an edit.

On the other hand I never got used to click zones, I don't like them. So I have the default tool set (left = pointer, command = marquee), and Command-double-click to split.

A slightly different workflow is to Command-click (or simply click if you use Marquee click zones) where you want to split the region, which places a 1 pixel wide marquee selection, then press Delete on your keyboard to split at the marquee selection. Once you have a marquee selection, you can start playback from the marquee selection, for example to make sure you're about to split at the right position. There are many key commands to move that marquee selection, for example to the next transient, so that you can perform multiple region splits without ever leaving your keyboard (no mouse/trackpad actions):

region-split.gif

Why? because the grid is terrible. You can't see in between the bars over audio and midi region. You can, however at the top. Marquee tool is very clunky and easy to make mistakes with. the playhead is much more consistent. I have a bug where I split at playhead, and then it stops splitting. It resets when I go into key commands.

Why? because the grid is terrible. You can't see in between the bars over audio and midi region. You can, however at the top. Marquee tool is very clunky and easy to make mistakes with. the playhead is much more consistent. I have a bug where I split at playhead, and then it stops splitting. It resets when I go into key commands.

I have to agree that it's very frustrating that you can't see the grid over audio or MIDI regions. I'm not sure why they stubbornly continue with this conspicuously missing feature. On the other hand I don't find the Marquee tool clunky and I don't find myself making mistakes with it. Probably just workflow preferences.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree that it's very frustrating that you can't see the grid over audio or MIDI regions. I'm not sure why they stubbornly continue with this conspicuously missing feature. On the other hand I don't find the Marquee tool clunky and I don't find myself making mistakes with it. Probably just workflow preferences.

yeah for sure, almost everyone i know loves the marquee tool. I wish it worked how pro tools worked... The Marquee tool lingers too much. I wish it only played selected areas, instead of clicked areas. Check out my new thread on the channel strip bug I was talking about. I found a way to repeat it consistently.

• 2 months later...

Hi! Just signed in to write this, hoping it helps somebody. I was frustrated with the same issue, splitting regions caused regions to move. I found that this (*) solves my problem, as far as I can observe for now. Cheers.

Onur

(*) Snap tab -> uncheck "snap edits to zero crossings"

• 3 years later...

Hey all, so I am having a very similar issue right now; this issue didn't happen prior to today. No new updates or installations have been made. Currently working with 10.7.4.

I imported an audio mp3 file into my session, and wanted only the 1st 4 bars. So, the usual steps to do this would be placing the playhead at the end of those 4 bars, and splitting the region; this would make a clear separation, and that's that.

However, now, it's not splitting at the playhead, but splitting 1 BAR PAST the playhead. What's even more odd is that the extra bar past the 4 bars has NO SOUND. 

So I thought: "okay, small issue... just trim that silent 5th bar back to the end of Bar 4." But 1. I have to drag the cursor/mouse pointer way past the left of the screen to get it to trim, and, 2. once I trim it, now the 4th bar is silent (which it wasn't prior to trimming bar 5). 

I'm completely perplexed. I've restarted Logic, but that didn't work. Anyone else having similar issues, and knows WHY...? 

28 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Is your project start marker on 1 1 1 1? 

my session starts 8 bars ahead (I have a habit of leaving space always before creating a "Start" marker for my sessions). This was done deliberately. But if I hit "enter," my playhead goes to the beginning, which is 1 1 1 1.

Edited by defmuse

5 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

If you can make it small enough you can share it here, otherwise use Dropbox or Google Drive, or WeTransfer...

Okay, so this is really weird: I opened up my session just now, imported the sample I wanted to use again so I could send it to you, and it's working fine now. I'm so mind-boggled.

I've noticed these temporary bugs with Logic over the past year; sometimes my secondary/command-click actions don't pop up, other times I can't loop anything, then sound for the entire session disappears, etc etc... and they are all rectified when I quit Logic completely, and restart. 

I thought it was my computer, but I am running Pro Tools, etc. as well, and I haven't had any similar issues with anything else. 

1 hour ago, David Nahmani said:

One thing Logic doesn't like is when your Mac goes to sleep, so I always set up my Logic Macs to never go to sleep, hard drive don't go to sleep etc. 

Thanks for the tip, David. Really appreciate all the instantaneous help. 🙏

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hopping on this, I've followed the steps in the forum and seem to have run into a possible parallel issue?

When using the marque or scissor tool, or when splitting at playhead, Logic will delete all audio to the left of the playhead or selected marque section or scissors selection, and resets the beginning of the audio track to where the split should be.

EDIT: so if anyone else is running into this it seems to be due to the tracks recording comps by default. You can turn this off with the button just to the the right of the transport window, an enclosed X called the Replace button. You can also ctrl+click to choose a punch option. Also, clicking on the comp itself, instead of the master track will allow a proper split, accessed in the top left corner of the audio clip with the little arrow.

The weird thing is I'm not sure if there's a way to "un-comp" an audio clip, for lack of a better term?

Edited by LogicN00bzor
found a solution

@rAC no stress I've been predominately confused! lol, weirdly enough though I was originally trying your suggestion to break up the comps within the comp folder. Originally it was moving the entire comp stack instead of just the one take. I *think* I resolved that by clicking on the 3rd button within the top left of the region. I'm not in front of Logic right now so I don't remember what it's called, but its the button that turns from a blocky tertris kind of icon to scissors.