Experienced feedback requested- UAD workflow issues

JamJuice1

Hi everyone -

I'd really appreciate some feedback or input on the following two scenarios:

1) I often have a "finished", mixed project in LPX that I then need to go back and make some changes too. Typically, that would mean changing or adding a new part. For example, re-doing or adding a new guitar part. The problem with that is i'm constantly running into timing issues with the newly recorded part being out of sync with the rest of the project. I use UAD plugs which I know is an issue and often they are on the Aux tracks which I know is even more of an issue. In some cases, the project may not have UAD plugs but have a large number of other plugs. Tracking in Low Latency Mode doesn't fix this issue. Sometimes I use a sample delay plugin and I've also heard a rumor about changing the output of the new track to something else ( can't remember the process). Was hoping for a proper solution. How can I / how do you work around this issue?

2) I always start a new project with one of a few basic templates that I created. Some of these have UAD plugs on the Aux tracks i.e. Modulation etc. to speed up my work flow. Even with Low Latency mode enabled I'm running into the same timing issues as above. How can I / how can I work around this?

Occasionally, I still have to use Pro Tools. In PT I would disable all the high latency tracks and add my new guitar part. I much prefer using Logic, Is there a similar way to do this in LPX?

Edited by JamJuice1

I will offer you this advice, as I have a similar workflow. For starters I keep my project files "Obsessively Organized".

I usually bounce more then 2 versions of a mix, (up to 10), so the organization is to simply go back to a track and be able to fine it instantly.

For some time now, I have (Laid-off) on the over-prosessing with plugins. I too have a UAD card. What I have found, (and I could be entirely incorrect), the UAD was designed to be more than a hardware dongle, it's supposed to do the plugin processing (Saving system resources) and taking the burden off your DAW. Universal Audio has an instance chart denoting the amount of EACH SPECIFIC UAD PLUGIN will use. http://www.uaudio.com/support/uad/compatibility/instance-chart.html

My recommendation is that you Either OPEN your project and TURN OFF all the plugins and see if that frees up some of the project.

You can also Share the plugins in a BUS, or you can "Freeze" some tracks or Bounce Them to audio POST Effect, on separate tracks then delete the channel strip with ALL The Plugins on it.

Again, I could be totally off base here, but I too have the Aurora 16, so when I manually bounce a track (Round-Trip) not only do I grab a nice clean Audio wave, But it enables me to:

1. commit to the processed track

2. free up more space (and system process) within the mix

3. (FOR ME) helps me look more at the composition overall, and less on the individual track, that needs endless echo, or Tape Hiss, or Whatever the heck Sounds good on that 1 track. It doesn't matter all that time dedicated to a solo track changes once the stars are brought together of the overall mix anyway.

~hope that was sort-of helpful

Thanks for your reply Northstreet! Some interesting stuff there.

If I didn't use UAD plugins I wouldn't have these timing issues. Alternatively, I use a daw that allows me to deactivate plugs and/or entire tracks and temporally remove the UAD latency. I was hoping I could do that in LPX or there was a work around other than bounce in place and removing UAD plugs from project.

If i'm monitoring a track I'm recording through my Lynx mixer instead of Logic/low latency mode, what effect does the Plug-in Latency options have and what do i set compensation to: Off, Audio & Software or ALL? In this scenario I'm using UAD plugs on the mix bus. Thanks!