Assign Horizontal/Vertical Zoom to Midi Controller

Garamond

I *think* the answer to this is no, but is there a way to assign the horizontal zoom commands to, let's say, an endless encoder so that when I turn the encoder right it zooms in (and the reverse)? What about the vertical zoom commands and a fader?

I tried setting an encoder to send relative MIDI messages instead of absolute numerical ones, but that didn't seem to help.

Thanks!

Thanks, Eric.

For what it's worth, the keyboard controller I'm using emulates Mackie Control. In my Controller Assignment window, I don't see Horizontal Zoom in the Global Views zone. It's in the Cursor Keys zone in Zoom On mode.

If I click on the Cursor Left / Zoom Horizontal Out parameter then Learn Mode, I'm not able to turn a knob and assign the command to an encoder. Instead, it keeps creating a new controller assignment for panning, even if I have JUST horizontally zoomed a track in the main window.

Obviously, I'm an idiot and there's something very obvious that I'm doing wrong.

But what is it?

:P

Quick update.

I wasn't able to get this to work with the Global > Horizontal Zoom controller assignments, as it seems that command can be used only to zoom in. I did, however, figure out how to tweak some settings and assign zoom in/out key commands to the knobs. Works great.

Also, I *really* like having my playhead position mapped to an encoder. So much smoother than hitting buttons.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Eric.

• 5 months later...

Hello Garamond.

I m having the same problem as you. you say: " I did, however, figure out how to tweak some settings and assign zoom in/out key commands to the knobs. Works great. "

What s tweak some settings??

• 3 years later...

Ready!

345602305_LOGICZOOMINCONTROL.thumb.gif.31203f6295448b5a8ddaeee4faba4fbf.gif

Zoom Knob in action

I hope it is easy to understand:

1) I put the Controller Editor in MACKIE CONTROL mode, but this button I set a setting of '' Control change '' [image attached]

751883899_CapturadeTela2019-11-24s16_19_57.png.d93f12347cb3be4a729345a8a5fceabe.png

Config Controller editor Native iInstruments

and changed some values ​​in Resolution.

2) In Logic Pro X I click ALT + K to open the learning panel and look for ZOOM there will be the 4 options I used and the settings I had to combine to work. [ image attached ]

49178468_CapturadeTela2019-11-24s16_20_12.thumb.png.4dea92d989798dd711cc462c726a6eb7.png

Logic pro x Zoom shortcut

3) At the moment of learning you just need a little tap on the knob to the desired side, (DO NOT ROTATE FULL!) Once you have done this, choose the other side of the zoom and rotate the knob to the opposite side.

Any questions I can try to explain further!

Hugs to this Forum where I learned a lot to this day!

I LOVE YOU!

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"Any questions I can try to explain further!"

Hi, I'm trying to do the same thing, where if I rotate a knob clockwise it zooms in, and counterclockwise it zooms out. I have assigned each knob to the key commands for zoom in and out, but how do I make it so that I can zoom in and out on the same knob? I think it may have something to do with the Value section of the controller assignment menu... I've been fooling around with the min/max velocities but can't seem to get it right.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

i figured out how to do it with my midi fighter twister

learn the control and then select global > horizontal zoom

then change the min and max values to 0 and 127

works the same as cmd+arrow keys one division at a time, but you can zoom in and out with the same knob

smoother to use alt + two finger swipe on the trackpad if you have one

1540301031_Screenshot2021-04-24at13_14_40.thumb.png.b336ef029620271c18a5eb0ed328ae37.png

Edited by simeonharris

Ready!

LOGIC ZOOM IN CONTROL.gif

1) I put the Controller Editor in MACKIE CONTROL mode, but this button I set a setting of '' Control change '' [image attached]

Captura de Tela 2019-11-24 às 16.19.57.png

and changed some values ​​in Resolution.

2) In Logic Pro X I click ALT + K to open the learning panel and look for ZOOM there will be the 4 options I used and the settings I had to combine to work. [ image attached ]

Captura de Tela 2019-11-24 às 16.20.12.png

3) At the moment of learning you just need a little tap on the knob to the desired side, (DO NOT ROTATE FULL!) Once you have done this, choose the other side of the zoom and rotate the knob to the opposite side.

I LOVE YOU!

This is exactly what I'm trying to do on my new Novation LaunchKey 49 mk3 and frankly I'm surprised I can't find other Logic users that have leveraged the LaunchKey's custom modes for more useful Logic functions. I'm used to the keyboard [Command] + [Arrows} to zoom in/out but using a pot on the LaunchKey would be better. There seems to be 2 ways to get this result. First, using Novation Components software I can assign midi commands to 4 of the pots, or 8 of the pads or 4 of the faders. To do this I need the CC midi command values for zoom in/out horz and zoom in/out vert. Which I can't find???

The other option is to use mapping in Logic and "Learn", and not change the midi already assigned to the vPots, pads of faders. The issue is that these controls are used for different things when the LaunchKey is in different modes (Session mode / Drum mode / Device mode). That means the same pot, fader or pads sent different midi messages depending on the mode. I don't want to muck around with this, so the first option seems to make the most sense.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

• 2 years later...
On 11/24/2019 at 7:36 PM, rasfelippe said:

Ready!

345602305_LOGICZOOMINCONTROL.thumb.gif.31203f6295448b5a8ddaeee4faba4fbf.gif

Zoom Knob in action

751883899_CapturadeTela2019-11-24s16_19_57.png.d93f12347cb3be4a729345a8a5fceabe.png

Config Controller editor Native iInstruments

and changed some values in Resolution.

49178468_CapturadeTela2019-11-24s16_20_12.thumb.png.4dea92d989798dd711cc462c726a6eb7.png

Logic pro x Zoom shortcut

I LOVE YOU!

This works with the KK Keyboards too..thank you! The trick is to as you say just turn it one way slightly for Zoom In and then do the same for Zoom Out and bingo!

Now for the Playhead...cannot find this in the Key Commands...

Edit: this post got me there:

Edited by pinki