Change tempo BPM without affecting audio [SOLVED]

mandoplan
Go to solution Solved by Eric Cardenas,

I'm working on composing music for a podcast.

Here's my workflow:

1) Author sends me recorded garageband files, lightly edited

2) I open them up in logic pro x (10.2.1)

3) I do a timing and eq pass on the audio

4) (this is where I'm stuck) I want to change the tempo of the track to 85 BPM for the sake of the music I'll be creating, every time I do, it changes the spoken audio dramatically, obviously not usable. I've searched around and found that locking the SMPTE time code on everything prior to making the BPM change is the way to go. But I've been unsuccessful in making that work. Every time I change the BPM it alters the locked audio tracks.

I've followed the steps pasted below to the letter:

1• in the arrange page, select all regions (CMD-A). Then SMPTE-lock those regions.

2• open the automation event list on any track containing automation (using your key command)

3• open the automation event arrange window (standard key command CMD-1)

4• select ALL (standard key command CMD-A)

5• SMPTE-Lock the automation regions (using your key command)

6 Now adjust your tempo. When you're done, make sure to SMPTE-unlock automation and regions.

Please help! See attached screen shot, everything appears to be locked, but it's still altering the audio.

EDIT: Thread title

269011505_ScreenShot2016-01-28at7_19_48AM.thumb.png.5d8890683691682326adbea3a4702d40.png

Edited by mandoplan

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Question for the LogicPro minds out there - can I change the Project Tempo logic WITHOUT having an effect on either the Audio AND the MIDI?   I played a song in 'free time'  (not to click) but now I want to add a click track after the fact.  But I don't want any of the audio or midi-performances to change in any way.   Is there a way to make MIDI ignore a new tempo?  (I'll be experimenting with this today and if I figure it out before anyone else replies, I'll report back).

• 4 months later...
On 6/24/2023 at 10:15 AM, timbertune said:

Question for the LogicPro minds out there - can I change the Project Tempo logic WITHOUT having an effect on either the Audio AND the MIDI?   I played a song in 'free time'  (not to click) but now I want to add a click track after the fact.  But I don't want any of the audio or midi-performances to change in any way.   Is there a way to make MIDI ignore a new tempo?  (I'll be experimenting with this today and if I figure it out before anyone else replies, I'll report back).

You would right click on all your regions and choose "Lock SMPTE" or something like that, so the regions stay locked in place to TIME instead of bars/beats after you adjust the tempo. But I'm finding that any automation that's in place does not lock, and therefor loses its placement with the regions. Hoping to find a solution to this.