current track or object is protected

bobmane

when i drag a midi block from EZDrummer to a track then try to move the region I get "current track or object is protected" - if i then click another region on another track....i can then move the ezdrummer region. but the "current track or object is protected" will also come back if i try to move it again later. dont see anything "locked" anywhere not sure why this happens

Run ALT T, which is the default "Configure Track Header" key command (or RIGHT CLICK or CONTROL-CLICK on the Track list and choose same).

Enable the Protect item (with the lock icon) so that it appears in the Track header. When it appears, unlock it with a click.

If it's already unlocked, there's one more consideration. I sometimes get this prompt when I'm hiding tracks, and somehow I think I'm unintentionally telling Logic to deposit the dragged region onto a track I can't see, which is forbidden, or maybe it's possible but the track hidden is locked as well. i've never fully understood it. In such cases, I unhide all tracks to see what's going on.

Also, if I drag multiple tracks' regions from one song to another, I'll get this sometimes. So I start dragging the regions track by track to see which one won't transfer.

Remember as well that you can import tracks.

This has got to be a bug. I am showing everything in header + nothing is locked or frozen. I am hiding tracks though. But it seems random. I do have one hidden track locked but not sure why that would matter. This is my 3rd song in this version of Logic so being a newbie not sure what to make of it + last 2 songs it did not happen using same workflow (e.g. drag ezdrummer blocks from ezdrummer)

. I guess i will keep looking at it.

"...But it seems random."

I've never posted about this behavior because I could not document it succinctly. I can tell you A. I've had it for several Logic versions, and B. it happens when I'm using hidden tracks.

I know that if I try to drag three regions from tracks 1, 2 and 3 into a song were track 2 is hidden, it will not work. The somewhat obscure prompt says "This track is hidden." But I think I've gotten that "track is protected" prompt too, and it's frequently when tracks are hidden. I just tried to recreate it and I can't.

I do see now that if it was as easy as an attempt to drag a region onto a locked track, the prompt is more explanatory:

250045258_ScreenShot2016-02-04at5_49_37PM.png.488a883920dc602e096344fb33d1dc90.png

• 8 months later...

I have a similar thing, but I noticed something I haven't read about yet.

The comp that can't be edited because it's supposedly protected (while it really isn't) behaves like its linked to regions that I created out of itself by copying the comp into a new track and "reducing" it (don't know the english term, since I'm working with Logic in German). When you hold shift+alt while dragging a region into another track it creates an alias which means everything you do to one of either regions will affect both.

I didn't do that in this case and just to make sure I also converted everything into new regions with alt+cmd+R. Yet, when I try to edit the original comp I get the "Current track or object is protected" window and the comp AND the regions I created out of it are highlighted. It behaves just like it would with linked alias regions.

Any ideas?

• 3 months later...
I'm also having this issue! Sporadically, if I want to quickly flex-pitch edit a vocal take to check the melody, it tells me I can't because the track is protected. The track is NOT protected, I've tried toggling the button on and off and restarting the problem persists.

• 8 months later...

Hello,

I'm bringing this topic back up because i'm having this issue with my Markers track in Logic 10.3.2. Whenever I click on a marker (whether it's locked to SMPTE or not) I get the dialog box stating "current track or object is protected". I have no clue when this started but one second it was fine and then the next it is doing this. It doesn't happen on any of my other Global tracks--only on the markers track. Is there a command I must have activated to make this occur?

Thanks for the help!