Flextime editing drums always cuts off transient

The Beatsmith

Hi,

I use flex time a lot, especially to edit drums. I've found that more often than not, when using t he kick and snare as a q-ref, the beginning of the transients is lost (see pics).

Is there a way to adjust this a bit by default, or just get it more accurate? I'm sure there is, but i've always just worked around it, and often it's not actually audible anyway.

Cheers!

Ed

2142149723_ScreenShot2016-02-16at13_40_24.thumb.png.b4ce287169b41a2c0a79c1c18d0d9cbd.png

101435452_ScreenShot2016-02-16at13_40_32.thumb.png.406beed5847c41ed8a5bb3b78e88da19.png

I would love to hear any helpful hints about this as well. Typically I adjust by hand each flex marker to ensure the initial transient isn't being chopped. Kick drums are the worst offenders. As an extra line of defense I use Acon Digital's Declick to remove any pops and clicks post-bounce in place (since the pops and clicks are never audible until after rendering).

Typically I adjust by hand each flex marker to ensure the initial transient isn't being chopped.

To me that's the key step.

@Ed, on your second screenshot you can see that the transient marker is at the wrong location, it should be moved a little earlier. You can adjust your transient markers in the Audio File Editor, using the transient editing mode: Logic Pro X: Use transient markers to edit

I also see some DC offset in your audio signal, I would try to remove that while you're in the Audio File Editor (Functions > Remove DC Offset).

Even though manually adjusting flex markers per transient is the least amount of fun I can think of, I think it's way better than having to commit several hundred other actions such as Pro Tools' Beat Detective requires – tab to transient, slice, adjust timing, back-fill, fade, listen, readjust fade and region to clean up pops and clicks, next transient.

Flex-Time: Turn on flex-time, move transient to desired note value, and adjust the flex marker to not chop off the transient – move on.

Hi guys,

Well, yes, I do manually edit it of course - but given that it does it on pretty much every transient hit, the purpose of the thread is to figure out if there's a way that Logic can simply start a millisecond or two earlier - a bit like in strip silence, you have the ability to adjust the initial time before the peak.

It's quite a lot of work to go through a 5-6 min drum track and manually move every single transient marker, and means you can't use any of the quantise options if you're doing it 'quick and dirty'...

Cheers!

Ed

I've got a 20 channel (of which 12 drum channels) 90 minute live recording which would need some tightening up... Let's just say I'm NOT going to want to manually move every transient marker... ;) So yeah, it'd be nice to have a "move the transient marker X ms to the left, please" command in Logic...

-----

That said (and off-topic, I'll make another feature request thread), does anybody know, if there's a possibility to have crossfades automatically done slightly before the actual cut? Say, if you edit several drum loops and you cut them to 16ths for eg., then build the one combo you want. Now, if you crossfade them to make it smooth (depending of course on the earlier region), it can eat the attack of your kick, claps, snare etc. If you could set the crossfade to start X ms prior to the cut so that it'd occur right before the "1", then the attacks would be intact.

968400578_Nyttkuva2016-02-17kello17.2.-15_45_17.jpg.25d4f71cec5eadf7661746ad3835a75d.jpg

AL example

1384121440_LPXcrossfadeoptions.jpg.2ee63cb95bed72c52f00f1d456531acf.jpg

Crossfade options

EDIT: Oh, wait, I already did... viewtopic.php?f=41&t=97330&p=507760

Well, yes, I do manually edit it of course - but given that it does it on pretty much every transient hit, the purpose of the thread is to figure out if there's a way that Logic can simply start a millisecond or two earlier - a bit like in strip silence, you have the ability to adjust the initial time before the peak.

I totally agree with you Beatsmith, I'd love to not have to do it either. If anyone else has the answer, please inform!

• 1 year later...

Hello to everybody!

I discover this thread while looking for the mixture for my problem I faced with.

So I got 4 hours of live multitrack record.

And I need to make some time edits which includes audio quantize.

Doing automatic transient detection places transient markers a little bit further than transients start.

Is there any possibility to tweak detection algorithm, to make it accurate?

If not - is there any chance to select all the markers and move them slightly earlier?

I know about manual editing and esteem this kind of work.

But 4 hours of record, 12 drum tracks, I can't waste so much time.

Any ideas??

Thank you so much. 

Dima. 

• 5 months later...
Hi,

I use flex time a lot, especially to edit drums. I've found that more often than not, when using t he kick and snare as a q-ref, the beginning of the transients is lost (see pics).

Is there a way to adjust this a bit by default, or just get it more accurate? I'm sure there is, but i've always just worked around it, and often it's not actually audible anyway.

Cheers!

Ed

The Beatsmith, did you find any solution to this problem?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
Hello to everybody!

If not - is there any chance to select all the markers and move them slightly earlier?

Dima. 

Dunno if this applies to how you work, but can you detect the transients, then slice the audio at the transients, then select all, move the region left corner enough to be before the transients + a tiny crossfade there + move the regions so that the transients hit where you want them on the grid?

• 3 years later...