automate Smart control with Step Editor?

Dewdman42

guess I am not understanding how you are doing what you demonstrated in your video. No matter what i do to click on the image I just showed, the curve is immediately changed to sawtooth shaped and loses the square shape. There is no automation point on that right lower corner and nothing I do seems to add it. Therefore it is not possible that I can see to use the step editor to create a squared off automation curve and then to edit it in the automation line without destroying the square shape in the process. I do not know how you created the square shapes with automation points on all the corners..but that is not what I get here when I use the step editor

sigh...somehow you are still not understanding me, but I can't think of how to explain it any differently.

your example has points on all four corners, so you obviously did not create it the same way I did. When there is a point on all four corners then there are vertical or horizontal bars connecting the points, you can move the points as you are doing and everything is fine..that is normal automation lane stuff...

However if you have three points...instead of four...as is the case here when the data originated from the step editor.....then clicking on any one of the points destroys the square shaped curve and changes it to a sawtooth with only straight lines connecting all points.

can you see how in my image there is an L shaped line connecting the the first two points and another L shaped line connecting the second two points? How does one create one of those in the automation lane? I don't think you can. the step editor does exactly that though. And then if you try to edit it, it immediately reverts to something completely wrong...three points connected by diagonal lines...ie...sawtooth.

I am also using a MBP with trackpad...I don't think that's it.

I've hunted all over looking for any kind of option or switch that might effect this behavior but I can't find anything.

How did you actually create your square shaped curve to begin with? Maybe that's related somehow?

nope, when I create a new node out to the right, it also converts it all to a sawtooth shape... Actually clicking anywhere on the lane converts all points on the entire lane to sawtooth shapes... there must be something different about the way you created yours in step editor.

I have no idea how you can manually create one of these L shaped automation lines.. anyway I give up. glad it works for you, not here.

ok but when I click a point the shape immediately changes to the sawtooth thing. So what is different about my setup that won't allow me to do what you're doing?

Which point are you clicking on? Have you tried clicking on the point immediately after the "L" shaped curve, as demonstrated?

I think that since the same data (automation) being represented in different formats (single values in Step editor vs curve in automation lane) Logic has to go through conversion calculation which could impede sync thus forcing Logic to take into account if PLC (PDC) is enabled.

BTW, speaking of automation, are you dealing with RBA or TBA?

RBA: Region Based Automation

TBA: Track Based Automation

• 6 months later...
Even though you can use the MIDI environment to find the events it's really no longer needed.

Create a region with the parameter automation you want to edit.

Open the open the step editor and it automatically creates the lane for you.

It's a little buggy and won't update the correct MIDI channel so double-check the channel in the Event list and correct this before you start editing.

I am digging into the Step Editor, and attempting to learn what I can to bend it to my will. So question, Eric; When you mentioned about creating an region with the parameter I want to edit, how is it that I choose that parameter? Do I do something like enabling Automation to see the tracks, and then choose a choice from the instrument's drop-down, before opening the Step Editor? When I followed it this way, I did not see the parameter as a new track. I had to create a track, then convert it to that parameter.

Also, when you mentioned of the bugginess, did you meant behavior, such as the one I just mentioned? 

Thanks!

I create a region and and use region automation in latch or touch mode.

Click on the parameters I want lanes for.

Check the MIDI Channel in the Event list. 

In my example it's MIDI channel 4.

Ch 1 is the main channel strip parameters.

Ch 2 is the Instrument on a Software Instrument track.

Ch 3 is the first audio FX slot…

Change the MIDI channel accordingly.

That's basically it.

Auto-lanes.gif.a410535a1abefb3cfc5e91117b326be0.gif