Audio is displaced early - Logic Pro X 10.2.1

Mixerjack

Back to the problem of recorded audio placed randomly early or late on the main page: I tested this in a new empty project (no plugins) and finally found that the problem is indeed in the Orion 32 driver. Antleope released an update (v.3.00) after LPX 10.2.1 and it seems to have fixed the problem. For now.

Okay so I've made a bit of a discovery...

Changing the plugin delay compensation to Audio & Software Tracks or Off fixes the problem. Obviously if I have any plugins across my mix (particularly UAD) it puts my whole mix outta whack time wise. So it's not a solution, but I suspected it was something to do with this.

So if PDC is set to All and I record enble & input monitor I can hear the obvious latency. Switching on Low Latency Mode the audible latency is gone, but the METER lags. I'm sure its this lag that is overcompensated for (like a double round trip or something) and thus the audio timestamp is earlier than it should be.

So at least i've found a basic work around but by no means a solution.... I've been a Logic user for over 15 years. Dealt with the headache of configuring it with TDM in major studios and all of its other little quirks. But never in my life have I felt the calling of Pro Tools stronger than I do now!

So I'm pleading to any geniuses out there who can help me out with this. I'm 99% sure this came with 10.2.1... Even a zipped copy of the previous version? Can anyone else recreate what's happening here?

I'll do a free mix for the lucky sod who can figure this out....

So I'm pleading to any geniuses out there who can help me out with this. I'm 99% sure this came with 10.2.1.

This is nothing new.

If you are using latency inducing plug-ins on aux or outputs and have Plug-in Latency Compensation set to all you have to either use Low Latency mode or make sure that Software Monitoring is off.

Yes that's a given dude! But what I am trying to determine is what cause Logic to place the audio EARLIER than where it should be. So it's clearly plugin delay OVERcompensation.... Right???

I record with Logic on many different platforms from a basic 2channel interface 100% software monitoring to the UAD Apollo mode... to a full 32IO HDX system. So with a plethora of monitoring techniques. This has never happened ever before in any of those scenarios.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I have the same issue while recording in Low Latency Mode. The monitoring playback is perfectly on time while recording and then the recorded audio is more than slightly nudged forward. I tested how far ahead it was nudging by playing quarter notes, zooming in, and observing. I don't know if your problem will be resolved this way, but I set my Recording Delay to 1200 samples. I only came up with this number by testing quarter notes and the adjusting the number of samples. I'm thinking that this number will be different for everyone based on how much processing power is being used by your session and how much it has to compensate when going into Low Latency Mode.

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, salmon ratty said:

I have this problem too!

Recording plays back rushed, it cuts off the beginning, so yes, OVER compensation. 

It does it in an empty project with NO Plugins at all. 

Just one audio track. 

Has anyone worked out what it is? Using Logic 10.6.3, through UAD -2 Satellite, Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre.

Have you checked your Audio Preferences if any (negative) Recording Delay is set? Like, image.thumb.png.b054828291f6592d0dfbd9cf10655fe5.png

That does improve but it still chops beginning off. See screenshots, one at 128 , one at 1024. Hope they are clear enough. 

I tried recording direct into macbook mic, fresh arrangement. So signal going through nothing - that seems to render the audio somewhat late if anything..

Obviously, in capturing a performance of any kind the timing is paramount. To try and guesstimate it afterwards by moving audio around is not good. I need to be able to record precisely, with confidence. That's got to be the primary function of this thing 🤷‍♂️

It didn't use to be like this, it feels like it may be getting worse.

I'm using a macbook pro

I've got 812 GB storage available

OS Catalina 10.5.7

2.4GHz 8-Core Intel

64 GB

Anyway, thanks very much indeed for your suggestions.👍