Audio is displaced early - Logic Pro X 10.2.1

Mixerjack

Hello all. My name's Jack, been using Logic since the good old emagic days. Just recently ran into a major problem, that i've never had before and can't solve it. Can't remember if it started since I updated it to 10.2.1 but it's certainly around the last month.

After recording audio it's shifting to the left; putting a perfectly timed performance way ahead of the beat. At first I thought I was doing something stupid or the region had moved somehow, but the usual 'move to original recording position' anchors it to the same position. But then I tried recording from bar 0 and once recording has stopped the region will begin before 0 (not by a uniform amount either. Around a beat and a bit at 120bpm).... I'm guessing it has something to with delay compensation.. Maybe. Tried with a couple of difference interfaces and its still doing it. MIDI is fine and behaving normally.

Obviously this a major problem! I have some big sessions coming up so i'd appreciate anyone who's had the same issue and I'm open to any suggestions to fix it!!

Jack

That good to know.

Could you please click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic Pro X 10.2.1)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS X El Capitan 10.11.3)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2.2 GHz Intel i7)

• Memory (e.g. 8GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. RME Babyface Pro)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

It makes it easier for us to see what system this is happening on.

Another thing you could try is engaging Low Latency Mode to see if it changes anything.

This is always happening WITH low latency mode. Obviously when tracking its always engaged. Which is totally bizarre..... While recording everything sounds spot on. Soon as you stop and playback (with or without llm) the audio is shifted. Right now I am literally manually moving things. Nightmare!

Thanks for the quick responses by the way x

My MIDI behaviour seems to be fine, haven't had it happen with MIDI at all. And it's nothing to do with the click as it's happening with non gridded songs and with sessions recorded to click.

One thing I did notice yesterday was the meter on the record enabled channel displayed a notable lag in displaying levels. Yet no audible latency was present. So it's as if logic is over compensating for latency that isn't there. But then the amount audio is shifted ahead of the best is well over 5000 samples (the maximum manual recording delay compensation available, I tried using this...) and obviously more than the largest buffer size. My buffer has generally been set around 128 when experiencing this problem, but I have changed it up and down just to see if my results are consistent, which they appear to be.

I thought perhaps a large amount of flex editing could be the culprit but working on a non flexed session still gave me this shi#!

Update..

Turning OFF low latency mode sorts the problem out. Obviously this is no good as the monitoring is delayed but the RECORDING ends up in the right place...

So it has to be something to do with overcompensating for the latency round trip?

With low latency mode enabled the meter on the record enabled track is lagging but the main output isn't. I know that with LLM enabled it bypasses various routing and goes straight to the master ignoring any plugins there etc...

Any ideas? Would a video help..?

Why would the signal path make a difference !? It's all 100 percent analog up until th RME.

To be clear the recording delay is set to zero. I have tried limiting the system to 8 cores (can't see any reason that would work, but tried it anyway) which made no difference....

It's not something I'm doing out of stupidness (the first thing I always check).

I've used Logic since version 4 and this has never happened before.

I'm already thinking about switching to Tools; something I've never done my entire career .....

I am having this problem too. Recorded audio to a click and LP places the audio well behind the grid. Seems to have started with LP 10.1.2, because I've never had this problem before. Also noticed that it is random, sometimes with a delay of thousands of samples. If I re-start the interface or the LP audio engine, the delay will temporarily resolve. Then, randomly, it will jump back to a very high number of samples and place the recorded audio late again.

This looks to me like a driver issue brought on by the latest LP update. Very frustrating...

Why would the signal path make a difference !?

Because the signal path to your speakers will give us an idea how much latency you're dealing with.

And because it makes ALL the difference when it comes to configuring your Logic system to deal with latency. :D

It's not something I'm doing out of stupidness (the first thing I always check).

No-one's accusing you of stupidity. We just don't have a clear picture of your setup in our heads, so we need to rule stuff out. These threads always have a page or two where we're try to understand the OP's setup.

I am having this problem too. Recorded audio to a click and LP places the audio well behind the grid.

By 'behind', you mean late?

I think the OP is talking about an early timing problem?

After recording audio it's shifting to the left; putting a perfectly timed performance way ahead of the beat.

Tried using both setting.. No difference... Today it was actually behaving itself and only did it once during a vocal recording session. Couldn't figure out what was the variable that caused it. Dare I say it was 'random'...

I'm glad someone else has this problem and it's not just me !!! Not super glad... Just glad ;)